[DW2] Distant Worlds 2 Arrivals Thread

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Question guys... I'm sitting at Colonia selling exploration data, and I'm getting a ton -- and I mean a TON -- of screens where it congratulates me for discovering some system but then shows no names at all. Here's what I mean:

What's going on? Was the system discovered by someone else and turned in/tagged first? Is it a bug?

In doubt, expect a bug. If someone else had sold that data before you, you wouldn't get the popup.

Touch down in BP, and I brought the Kitchen Sink with me!

Wait. Did I leave the stove on...??

Screenshot_0051.jpg

One last look at Beagle Point before leaving the waypoint. It was a strange feeling, I don't know if I'll ever return to this place. Thank you for the whole expedition, it has been a great experience.

TS6Db08.jpg

I'm home now by the way, the journey back has been more enjoyable than I expected. In all, I earned more than 450 million CR from exploration data which doesn't hurt either. Looking forward to Distant Worlds 3, if there will ever be one. :)

I died 3 times in all - like you the first was at Pallaeni thanks to an NPC. Any text warning was missed with all the local chat and the first I knew about it was when I realised I was being shot at. Tried to log out but the timer kept me in game long enough to be killed.

The 2nd death was my stupidity and seems to have also been captured on video! As I was taking off from The View having survived the heavy landing, I saw someone mention having adequate thrusters and looked at my panel to check what size mine were. For some stupid reason I thought they were disabled (obviously suffering space madness already!) and quickly clicked to enable them.... but of course I was taking off so they can't have been disabled and seeing that now they were I tried to correct my error by re-enabling them again. Doing all this while taking off from a high-g planet was not the best idea I've ever had, and I suddenly realised I was heading back down at speed!

My third death happened when I got stuck at a neutron star. I'd started off OK, but drifted out of the arm and had to find it again to continue the charge. I wasn't sure if I'd misjudged the point I tried to re-enter the arm or if I was the victim of a bug, but found myself unable to leave, overheating, taking damage to various modules and losing control. I spent some time struggling to escape but in the end I lost the fight and faced a rebuy screen back at Explorer's Anchorage.

Fortunately I've managed to avoid any further mishaps and landed at Beagle Point on 28 April. :)

When boosting from a NS I always target it first before flying parallel to the jet until the “turbulence” has calmed down, then approach the jet at an angle of about 30 degrees and 5 to 12 Mm/s and just as I start to enter the jet pull up so I’m facing the end of the jet. If I exit the jet without supercharging I have it still selected in the compass for spatial awareness so can go back round for another try. I found the hard way if you decrease speed too much in the jet then it can get dangerous. As soon as I hear “fsd supercharged” then I apply full throttle & try to fix on a starmap feature outside the jet to escape.

Question guys... I'm sitting at Colonia selling exploration data, and I'm getting a ton -- and I mean a TON -- of screens where it congratulates me for discovering some system but then shows no names at all. Here's what I mean:

What's going on? Was the system discovered by someone else and turned in/tagged first? Is it a bug?

I think it's a new bug that was introduced while we were away. I sold my data at Colonia a day ago, and saw the same thing.

View attachment 130666

I've seen the same thing, honestly I thought this was a new feature (screen arrangement) not a bug. 🤔 It's sometimes hard to know nowadays. Anyway, the discoveries do count, those bodies have your name now. I know because I've checked some planets after selling my data and they bear my name for first discovery and first mapping (where it applies). So you still get the credit for it, only you can't make anything out from the list.

Just arrived at Beagle Point. Thanks to the organisers of this event. I've had a great time, even getting blown out the sky for the 20th time at launch was fun. Everyone who took part contributed to a fantastic experience. Now for the journey home. :)

11101 csrogue signing out. :)

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
When boosting from a NS I always target it first before flying parallel to the jet until the “turbulence” has calmed down, then approach the jet at an angle of about 30 degrees and 5 to 12 Mm/s and just as I start to enter the jet pull up so I’m facing the end of the jet. If I exit the jet without supercharging I have it still selected in the compass for spatial awareness so can go back round for another try. I found the hard way if you decrease speed too much in the jet then it can get dangerous. As soon as I hear “fsd supercharged” then I apply full throttle & try to fix on a starmap feature outside the jet to escape.
Yes my approach is similar but I must get into the habit of targeting the star first! It was trying to find my way back that got me into trouble and I'm sure that could have been avoided if I'd had it targeted. Having it targeted also helps with escaping as I can then make sure it is behind me, preferably as a circle right in the middle of the compass. :)

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator

View attachment 130666

After taking one of my characters from Colonia to Explorer's Anchorage for the mining CG, I finally returned to Colonia and sold the exploration data there, noticing the same thing. I would say it is definitely a bug because every line has a comma at the beginning which suggests to me that the system names are being missed out. It does say "You are first to discover" at the top though, so I wasn't too concerned, but it is annoying not knowing the exact details.

In doubt, expect a bug. If someone else had sold that data before you, you wouldn't get the popup.
I think it's a new bug that was introduced while we were away. I sold my data at Colonia a day ago, and saw the same thing.
I've seen the same thing, honestly I thought this was a new feature (screen arrangement) not a bug. 🤔 It's sometimes hard to know nowadays. Anyway, the discoveries do count, those bodies have your name now. I know because I've checked some planets after selling my data and they bear my name for first discovery and first mapping (where it applies). So you still get the credit for it, only you can't make anything out from the list.
After taking one of my characters from Colonia to Explorer's Anchorage for the mining CG, I finally returned to Colonia and sold the exploration data there, noticing the same thing. I would say it is definitely a bug because every line has a comma at the beginning which suggests to me that the system names are being missed out. It does say "You are first to discover" at the top though, so I wasn't too concerned, but it is annoying not knowing the exact details.

Indeed it appears to be a bugged, tracked here:

https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/880

Good to know my discoveries still stand though. That was my main concern. Thanks guys!

I've already made it to BP and am heading back. I didn't get much time on the trip out, so I mostly bucky-balled it from WP to WP and made about 50 mill on the way out ><. I'm working my way back through the WPs and PoIs with economic routing and have already trebled my data even though I'm still only half way through the Abyss. ^^;

I hope to make it back before DW3 becomes a thing, but we'll see...

All in all, I've had a great time and I really appreciate the time and effort that the organisers put into this event.
Thanks for everything, you guys rock!

Origami out. d_(^ ^)_b

Last edited:
Finally made it to Beagle Point. What a long strange trip it has most certainly been. A hearty thanks to the organizers of DW2. Most fun I've had in Elite Dangerous so far. I've got the explorer bug right now and may take the long way home.

View attachment 130666

That's it? So few First Discover from one page?
Looks like someone was ahead of you and turn it all in before you did.

It's been like that for weeks now. Not really a problem, since it doesn't effect the achievements on the Galaxy map.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom