[DW2] Distant Worlds 2 Arrivals Thread

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Arrived 25 May 3305 (2019)
CMDR Alexis "The French"
#3208 :)
Also met someone there :)

See you in the Bubble,

Cmdr Shockhound317, PS4. Roster # 11517, Ship ID# A9C-DW. Just landed at BP, what a great adventure. I've played Elite since the 80's with my Apple 2+ with a green screen monitor. I have to say you all have done a great job keeping the game very interesting. Can't wait to get back to the bubble. This trip is going to make my personal transport missions look short.

CMDR Vere Athor, Roster #9134, Ship ID 7RX-DW. Just set my SRV on Beagle Point 2. Quite a foggy day, but who I am to bicker about the weather after 1462 jumps. Had to pass on WP9 and 10, but still - I am here now.
Kudos to all fellow explorers and of course the crew who organised this great adventure!

CMDR Vermilienne, roster #2242, ship ID 0AU-DW, ship name "All Veiled By Sunlight", arrived 26 May 2019

Thanks to the organisers for getting all this together, especially when the size of the thing grew enormous! Further thanks in particular to Olivia for the logistics side, and to Rhino Hammer for hanging onto what we Gatherers picked up on XBox before we Truckers took them out to Beagle Point!

Thanks also to the organisers of the DistantworldsXB private group and the XBox club!

And many thanks to FDev and Anthor for getting EDSM to work for consoles! Thank you!

Made it to Beagle Point late last night. A lot of IRL stuff meant I had to make the whole trip solo with the beautiful Route Guide as my only companion but an excellent trip nonetheless, with a great many firsts for me and memorable sights along the way. Slight setback early on as my ship was attacked and destroyed by persons unknown as I left the Conflux Delta site, but rather fittingly reaching Explorer Elite at Explorers' Anchorage on the way out was wonderful.

Decided I'd visit Colonia for the first time on the long way home, no need to rush to get back. A couple of hours into the trip, bouyed with a sense of achievement, and having stopped at some interesting places already, I completely forgot to check the strength of the gravity exerted by a lovely looking ringed planet I was approaching, and now I'm sitting in the bar at Explorers' Anchorage with a heavy heart, a rueful smile, happy memories and a wallet emptier than when I left it the last time - but worse than that an empty UC drive waiting to be filled with data again. Ah well, the ships I could have bought with the petabytes I'd gathered.

Must go again soon, must pay more attention.

Thanks to all who arranged the event it's been a blast, even if it ended with a crash :)

Attachments

• beagle_point_002.jpg
    beagle_point_002.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 210
Arrived 26 May 2019
CMDR Logan Darklighter
Roster #7987
Ship: Anaconda class, Azhanti High Lightning
Member: Hull Seals

E53ofbD.png

This community is amazing. The true sense of camaraderie and exploration is very real. There are only two game worlds and communities previous to Elite Dangerous where I have experienced a sense that the participants were truly having a shared experience that gave that "rush" of verisimilitude - of the simulated reality becoming something real and tangible in the sense of thematic intent.

One was in the 90s with the Virtual World game centers where Battletech and Red Planet were hosted - those games aspired to - and became - the first true virtual "sports" experience. Partly because of gathering physically in the store front and watching in-progress games very much like people do in a "sports bar" where they watch their favorite real-life football and baseball teams. (and I advisedly use the term "football" to include both the British and American games)

The other was for the MMORPG "City of Heroes". That sense of becoming a hero and being part of a team of them came across in a visceral manner despite the limitations of the format.

I can now add Elite Dangerous to that high plateau. And much of it is due to Distant Worlds 2. Despite most of the time being out there "in the black" on my own with no one else in sight, due to the Discord - both voice and text - and the regular updates on the forums with waypoints and points of interest clearly laid out. I always got the sense of being part of that larger expedition. Plus I've made some tangible contributions to the Galactic map myself in the form of a couple of POIs officially added at EDSM. Also - the sense of pride and accomplishment when - as a Hull Seal, I completed a rescue op and helped other commanders out was very real as well.

"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

As I turn for home, the stars are there and my ship is there. And out there somewhere along the way are a lot of new friends. Thank you all.

The arching sky is calling
Spacemen back to their trade.
ALL HANDS! STAND BY! FREE FALLING!
And the lights below us fade.

Out ride the sons of Terra,
Far drives the thundering jet,
Up leaps a race of Earthmen,
Out, far, and onward yet ---

Feel her rise! Feel her drive!
Straining steel, come alive!

My heart turns home in longing
Across the voids between,
To know beyond the spaceways
The hills of Earth are green.

We pray for one last landing
On the globe that gave us birth;
Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies
And the cool, green hills of Earth.

- Robert Heinlein

Just arrived today, 26th May. Cmdr Campbell-Clelland (Simon) in the Conda, Nostalgia for Humanity (304-DW) Thanks for Cmdr Watcher who was there at the time and guided me in with a helpful beacon.
I couldn't quite keep up with the bulk of the fleet, can't resist the scanning malarkey and that other game, life on Earth.
Thanks to the organizers, brilliant effort and a shout out to the Lave Radio gang keeping us up to date on all things Elite and the bathroom updates. Top internet radio show in the space sim based, forum dad category!
And of course, to the whole community of players. There cannot be many games out there that draw you in for 1000s of hours, no matter how salty some people get about it.
Here's to the future, can't wait.

This was from a binary on the way here, Ceeckia PS-B c16-1, 10 or so jumps from BP

Screenshot_0526.jpg

And here's me settling in for the night.
Screenshot_0531.jpg

o7 all!

I got dragged into this expedition with only 29 hours or so in the game. It was kicking and screaming, and neither I , nor my wingmates expected me to make it even close. But here I am. Over the entire expedition I received a crash course in everything from landing on planets, scooping fuel, and using an srv. And heres to my wingmates: GuyWithTheFez and KiloMAtere.
And here's to breaking expectation and the long trip home.
(And here's to me not knowing how to post on forums)

CMDR trlizzy
Roster #10983

Last edited:
I arrived two days ago after a long few months on this expedition. It was worth the trip and the long nights jumping from star to star, enjoying beautiful views and interesting locations, also nearly dying at The View (F to those who died due to gravity). I loved this expedition with my wing mates and met some really great people along the way. It was a wonderful experience, thank you everyone o7
359320_screenshots_20190526231653_1.jpg
678D85069787FE757B0CCF092AC299AD06B7E833.jpg

CMDR March Topcat
Roster #8449
Ship: Kalliope; Ship-ID: 72L-DW
Arrival: May 27, 10:54 UTC

Wow, finally got here! I did not believe that I would still make it after having fallen back a while go because of my job. The happier I am now to be at the end of the journey - o, wait, it's only half way.
Thanks to all the guys who organised and participated in this great event!
Screenshot_0062.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom