Distant Worlds II Event [DW2] Distant Worlds 2: Discovery Submissions

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Name: Storm Clouds
System: Hypou Briae AK-R c4-342
Description: Green system with a gorgeous view of the Hypou Briae nebula.

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Just posted this in main GMP discoveries thread, but it refers to two un-named nebula close to WP 9, including the red nebula seen from the POI 2 posts above mine (storm clouds POI)... (we cant just call this "Hypou Breia nebula" btw as there are several of those including the Magnus nebula, so I wrote some new descriptions. Also I was not first to visit these, but they are not on EDSM yet.

Close to our current waypoint there is a small sized nebula and an un-named planetary nebula close to the larger Magnus nebula and Bleia restricted areas.

Name:Umber Veil
Game map search ref:Hypou Briae WD-T C3-2071
Description:A relativly small red-orange nebula, with dense dust clouds that block out much of the surrounding star light. The dark bands of gas obscure hidden worlds within. Close to the neighbouring Magnus Nebula and mysterious Bleia sectors, this small nebula sits in the inner Perseus Arm near the galactic core. A dense cluster of T-tauri stars along with bright B and A class stars surrounds the area outside the nebula.
Screenshot reference:
OKv3WET.png

FTkdFyD.png

CCyUHWy.png

Name:Abzu Lodestar
Game map search ref:Phua Chrea XP-P E5-1052
Description:A planetary nebula with a neutron star core orbited by a life bearing water world, a life-bearing gas giant, and two ringed brown dwarfs. Named after the ancient Sumerian and Akkadian mythology that refers to the primeval sea below the void space of the underworld, the source of water and life.
Screenshot reference:
474s7hd.png

KiZan6d.png

Tcg4Qlv.png

Last edited:
Very first biological discovery. Hypoe Bluae DV-Y e5924 1, roseum bioluminescent anemone, codex first report for Ryker’s Hope.

WUXR0tz.png

Edit: this may not be a codex first after all ... . After logging out and back in, the codex forgot all about this. I was still on the planet so rescanned them again and codex says “oh yeah, you scanned that a while ago” and once again shows it discovered. Apparently this is a known feature and may be peculiar to anemones.

Last edited:
Very first biological discovery. Hypoe Bluae DV-Y e5924 1, roseum bioluminescent anemone, codex first report for Ryker’s Hope.

WUXR0tz.png

Edit: this may not be a codex first after all ... . After logging out and back in, the codex forgot all about this. I was still on the planet so rescanned them again and codex says “oh yeah, you scanned that a while ago” and once again shows it discovered. Apparently this is a known feature and may be peculiar to anemones.

Strange Codex behaviour does not seem to be limited to anemones. But it may relate to bugs! 😉

Suggestion for POI's name: The Graeae Nebula
POI Type: Planetary Nebula
Reference System: Aemorrs HX-T e3-4517

This system is indeed a Nebula.

During the Distant Worlds 2 expedition, commander Jav Marlo passed by this system and realized that, in spite of being an already discovered system, nobody reported about its nebula.

His log can be read here.

(...)
Back on track from the Hot Temptation to the basecamp of the expedition at Cerulean Tranquility, I made another curious discovery. I was fuel scooping at Aemorrs PU-N d7-1422, a system with nothing interesting, when I saw what looked like a nebula in front of me. I locked the system in the navigation computer and looked for information in the Galactic Mapping Project database.

enter image description here

From thirty seven light years away it looked like a double planetary nebula with a neutron star at its core. It was strange that the Galactic Mapping Project did not mention that there was a nebula there. The entry only said that the system was visited for first time by commander Scrublord-sama. Once there I could see in the Pilots Federation database that commanders Picker, Dragonsbreath, Polar Fox and Spica had been there too. The neutron star and some of the planets had their name tags. I guess they arrived there running the neutron highway and did not have the time to properly scan the system or to notify it was nebula. A pity because, according to my scanners, the system contains thirty five stellar bodies, many landable moons and it is a green system with everything necessary to synthesize jumponium.

And it is a beautiful place too. The blue and purple colors of the nebula combined with the jets of neutron star and the star mat of the Perseus Arm creates a mesmerizing sight.

I took some pictures before departing and fully scanned all the stellar bodies in order to transmit the data to the Galactic Mapping Project initiative as soon as I were able. If they finally name this nebula, maybe they will recognize that, in spite of being an already discovered system, it was commander Jav Marlo who reported about the nebula during the Distant Worlds 2 expedition. With so many commanders passing by the nebula without telling and being it in the Perseus Stem, it reminded me of the story of The Graeae, the three sorcerer sisters that were sought by Perseus during the beginning of his quest to defeat the Gorgon. The Graeae were three perpetually old women, who had to share a single eye. As the women passed the eye from one to another, Perseus snatched it from them, holding it for ransom in return for the location of the Hesperides that were keeping the weapons he needed to defeat the Gorgon. When the sisters finally agreed to led him to the Hesperides, he returned what he had taken. I think that The Graeae Nebula would be an appropriate name for Aemorrs HX-T e3-4517 system.
(...)

I jumped into this system and wow...never saw four so close to each other... three neutrons and a white dwarf. I call it “Choose Your Own Adventure”
PLAA SCRAA EA-A E114

Attachments

• 66EF5236-B76B-4091-A5A0-1D442F6DE5DD.jpeg
    66EF5236-B76B-4091-A5A0-1D442F6DE5DD.jpeg
    546.1 KB · Views: 255
  • 99236CAF-E870-4A72-BF4C-F4606BFB4513.jpeg
    99236CAF-E870-4A72-BF4C-F4606BFB4513.jpeg
    965.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 0EFE0A42-EE2D-4ACB-B763-75B5AF81BBBE.jpeg
    0EFE0A42-EE2D-4ACB-B763-75B5AF81BBBE.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Found a pair of barycentric moons orbiting a gas giant. The moons are extremely close to each other, about 2-4 Mm between them. It's possible to fly between them without exiting orbital flight (or leaving orbital flight for only a second or two). For comparison, our moon is about 362 Mm at the closest.

System: Splojua NS-U c18-82
Body of Interest: 1 A and 1 B

Video (I don't have a screenshot):
Source: https://youtu.be/r6f2mTn36dA

I found a crazy thing. Taking some pictures and will upload them later.

It's a black hole that's only 4 LS from an F-class star. In the real world, the star would be sucked in to the black hole at this point. Never seen a black hole this close to a star before.

E836B5A108F8B6B472E3D00FF1F002B40AF9ED75

D3C36FF7C8A9564EAF15192C45DD671B51454909

Last edited:
I understand the GMP policies on these things, and it does make the interactive map a bit of a mess to have tons of similar pins.

But it would also be nice to allow EDSM be a full database of these sorts of things. Anthor would be the one to talk to, probably, but a separate planetary nebula tracker tool on EDSM would be really cool.

Strange Codex behaviour does not seem to be limited to anemones. But it may relate to bugs! 😉

It most definitely relates to bugs, and this one in particular we've been tracking on the (now obsolete) bugs forum since about 3.3.02. If you have examples of it occurring, head over to the new issue tracker and add reports to the open bug report to help move it into confirmed status.

I found a crazy thing. Taking some pictures and will upload them later.

It's a black hole that's only 4 LS from an F-class star. In the real world, the star would be sucked in to the black hole at this point. Never seen a black hole this close to a star before.

E836B5A108F8B6B472E3D00FF1F002B40AF9ED75

D3C36FF7C8A9564EAF15192C45DD671B51454909

Now see, things like this are exactly why it would be so cool to get accretion disks modeled in the game. This thing would be a textbook micro-quasar!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom