Distant Worlds 2 T-9 Mining Rig

After much tinkering and head scratching, this is the best I could come up with to meet my requirements, if anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate hearing them.

https://s.orbis.zone/1te1

My requirements:

Full Suite of mining gear with at least 4 collectors
SRV and SLF hangars(I can't go on a trip that long without being able to participate in races/canyon runs/shenanigans)
Shields(I'm not ballsy enough to attempt DW2 shieldless)

I'm still on the fence about the AFMU. I thought it was absolutely necessary for a journey this long but people are telling me it's just not worth it. I worry about the FSD taking damage while supercharging.

I'm also extremely worried about heat generation while boosting, charging FSD, and mining. During mining, I'll have to shut down the mining lasers to run the new mining gear, and when I do, I'll be running at 98.7% power consumption. I haven't been able to test this build yet, simply min-max'ing Coriolis and seeing what shakes out.

The jump range and maneuverability, as well as top speed, came out better than expected on paper, but are worthless if I overheat everytime I hit the boost button. Wanted these primarily for scooting through the asteroid fields as quickly as possible and reducing overall jump count for the trip. I can't sacrifice any internals for the guardian FSD booster, and haven't unlocked it anyway.

Take a look if you get some time and let me know what you think.

Last edited:
I'm still on the fence about the AFMU. I thought it was absolutely necessary for a journey this long but people are telling me it's just not worth it. I worry about the FSD taking damage while supercharging.

If you are not going to use neutron boosts then an AFMU is a luxury item, you should not need it.

If you want to use neutron boosts then an AFMU is a necessity, you'll not get very many before you've taken enough FSD damage to cause you problems.

Nice! Pretty similar to my T-10 setup, (but you have larger internals to play with). If your not taking the AFMU, then its well worth unlocking an FSD booster for a bit more range. They give a flat range increase determined by their size, so they are great for large heavy ships like ours that see very minor changes in range when we change our internals around.

If you are not going to use neutron boosts then an AFMU is a luxury item, you should not need it.

If you want to use neutron boosts then an AFMU is a necessity, you'll not get very many before you've taken enough FSD damage to cause you problems.

With a 30ly jump range, I think I have to take neutrons when able or this trip will take 2 years, so I'll bring the AFMU, thanks much!

Nice! Pretty similar to my T-10 setup, (but you have larger internals to play with). If your not taking the AFMU, then its well worth unlocking an FSD booster for a bit more range. They give a flat range increase determined by their size, so they are great for large heavy ships like ours that see very minor changes in range when we change our internals around.

I really wanted to bring my T-10 as well, but between the low max range and like you said, the better internal options, I settled for the T-9. I'm really excited to see some of the super-heavies out there, you guys have far more patience than I do!

Can you link your build? I want to see what kind of solutions you came up with for some of the problems I ran into while theory-crafting the Type-10.

Sure.
This might not be exactly right (had to do this from memory as I'm on a different computer at the moment). I think my fully loaded jump range is just over 37LY, so something is different.
My T-10, the Heavy Metal, in mining config.

Obviously its not super optimized for weight. T-10's get such frugal gains from weight loss that I don't see the point in starving the poor thing till its almost unusable. And I like the fact that I can gear up with heaps of heavy stuff, and it only costs me a few LY in range. That's also why I love the Guardian boosters so much - they just don't care about the weight of the ship, so the gains they give are pretty much the best bang for buck you can get on a ship that isn't made from magic fairy dust metal, like the Anaconda.

I don't care about an AFMU getting to the Core. But I would like one for the rest of the trip, so if there is outfitting at the core station for the second CG, I'll be swapping out the mining components for that, the size 5 FSD booster, and maybe a fighter hanger. I'm tempted to keep the cargo hold to carry limpets for the fuel and repair rats. Still thinking about that. I'm assuming I can drop them and someone else can scoop them up and use them - if that's not possible then I'll be ditching the big hold for a larger fuel scoop.

The Guardian weapons... they are there because I'm paranoid. :D
The big shields and boosters are mainly for collision protection.
The Point Defense is for any Guardian ruins we find to investigate.
The massive Dirty Type A thrusters, make her a bit more nimble in an asteroid field. And the ship is so huge the weight penalty is pretty minimal. Same reasoning goes for the other A class components. The minimal range gains I get for downsizing them to D's just isn't worth the effort of engineering up new parts.

The T-10 is never gonna be an optimal explorer... they are just too heavy. But its my favourite large ship, and it works great for mining, and has a pretty good view. So I'm happy with this setup.

Edit: I forgot to lightweight the Limpet controllers - that's what takes the fully loaded range over 37LY.

Last edited:
"Has the single best cockpit of any ship other than it's sister, the T-9" ;p

I love Lakons

Heh - Actually I think the Mamba has them both beat. The cockpit in that ship is a thing of beauty - especially with head tracking. I'll be seriously tinkering with one of those when I get back from DW2. But it has the same problem as the Courier (another personal fav) - not enough internal slots. Oh and you can't look down past your feet with either ship. I'm actually not sure why I like being able to do that so much but I really really do.

But yeah, I'm a big Lakon fan too. Did my only trip out to Sag A in a DBX and had a blast in that ship. Its a lot of fun.

Top Bottom