Distribution of Star Types across the Galaxy

Distribution of Star/Planet Types across the Galaxy

Below you'll find visualisations of where what types of bodies have been discovered so far.
The images are rather large, so some zooming out might be required.

3rd Edit/Update:
  • Changed bodies source to EDSM
  • Updated with current data 18 Jan 2018
  • Added White Dwarfs
  • Higher resolution for NS and WW

Stars: Herbig AeBe, CJ/CN, O, S/MS, Wolf Rayets
Herbig AeBe:
tWE6QAwd_o.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CJ/CN:
FkgQbTtD_o.png

O:
i1iB7mNw_o.png

S/MS:
NH8wyMQP_o.png

Wolf Rayets:
ZjsEgKeG_o.png
Other stellar bodies: Back Holes, White Dwarfs, Neutron Stars
Back Holes:
DsukwxAF_o.png

White Dwarfs:
3PNsPloC_o.png

...and since I did the subtypes for a side-project, here they are:

DA*
KEPnGLiB_o.png

DB*
fZLMLH8G_o.png

DC*
GzZaKR0O_o.png

Neutron Stars:
K9ZFfymT_o.png
Planets (just for fun): Earth-likes, Water Worlds, Ammonia Worlds, Herlium-rich Gas Giants
Earth-likes:
GkfC9OiE_o.png

Water Worlds:
rwnv9Bo8_o.png

Ammonia Worlds:
vNamhZPj_o.png

Herlium-rich Gas Giants:
tvTAWeCD_o.png

---------
Previous posts:
Original post:
After noticing that I had no Carbon stars (C*) in my scan log I did some research on where to find them:
pU6wLcW.png
I found the resulting visualisation quite helpful as well as interesting, so I did the same for the other types as well:

Wolf-Rayets (W*):
TtMFR8v.png
S and MS:
3Yt1EQj.png
Black Holes:
DYps60y.png
Neutron Stars:
TzIDsU7.png
1st Edit/Update:
EDITed to link to the latest versions of the maps/charts:

Maps of BH, NS, Wolf-Rayets, Carbon stars, Herbigs and O-Type stars:
33% size image:
tmIBxFOW.png

100% size image:
https://i.imgbox.com/PcKA2zck.png
Maps of ELW, AW and WW:
33% size image:
7CGuoRHh.png

100% size image:
https://i.imgbox.com/PVvjGZz3.png
Maps of ELW, disected by layers 250ly thick in an attempt to (unsuccessfully) find patterns/groupings:
33% size image:
cqg91hMn.png

100% size image:
https://i.imgbox.com/KsNcPeDP.png
2nd Edit/Update:
  • Updated with current data from EDDB (20.08.2017)
  • Added Y/Z visualisation
  • One img per type

Stars:
Black Holes, Neutron Stars, Herbig AeBe, Carbon stars (C* and MS/S), Wolf-Rayets, O
8wFK8kQ.jpg

G81fGPa.jpg

1T5a59b.jpg

EIk8K1R.jpg

2YwqHVM.jpg

6pKflXV.jpg

eybCSND.jpg
Planets:
Earth-likes, Water Worlds, Ammonia Worlds, Herlium-rich Gas Giants

Last edited:
as edsm gets its data from cmdrs travelling, that graphs don't show the distribution of star types, but the distribution where cmdrs discovered that startype. that's quite a difference.

It will be a continually narrowing difference though and should become an ever better approximation.

Off-by-one error in the forge is the best explanation I've seen yet :D
My initial thought as well, although when looking closer I noticed the X-borders were at -1.4 and +1.8 (iirc), i.e. neither 1.0 not symetrical. Stopped guessing after that ;-)

It's harder to make out, but it extends east to west from Sol also.
Nice, didn't notice that! The non-PG systems around the bubble make that harder to see. Maybe I'll try to filter out the non-PG systems.

as edsm gets its data from cmdrs travelling, that graphs don't show the distribution of star types, but the distribution where cmdrs discovered that startype. that's quite a difference.

Yes, of course - and in addition to that, it's even only/mostly scans from *after* the Journal was introduced with 2.2. Lucky for me though, as poor Excel was already struggling as it is ;)

Looks pretty good. Thanks for making it! It would be even better if you could overlay it with all the systems visited, but for that to bear any useful information, the image size would have to be huge. Plus there is that which you already mentioned: that these are from the introduction of the journal, while the systems were from before that.

Procedure generated C star is one of my holy grails. The other is M I0 supergiant. It seems that these two exist only as "hand made" stars close to the bubble. I spent countless hours searching for them in the Core, no success. Surprisingly, there was a third "grail" - A I0 supergiant. I was convinced it exists only in the hand made space too. But then found couple of these near Core. So far it seems it is the rarest type of star. So who knows, maybe C and M I0 exist too, but are extremely hard to find.

In general, statistics wise, procedure generated and hand made stars shouldnt be put in same place, IMO.

Great work, but i have to say there are a few notable sources of error in this data:

First is that it is of course only from commander data, which means that certain areas such as Sag A* will be extra surveyed because of it's popularity. Second is that as you can see with carbon stars, the areas where there are many known in real life stars, SOL being the example here, there is an incredible increase in stars.

Again great work, but just keep that in mind.

Looks pretty good. Thanks for making it! It would be even better if you could overlay it with all the systems visited, but for that to bear any useful information, the image size would have to be huge. [...]
Good idea. I did a little shortcut by taking a screenshot of EDD's 3D map (while displaying all known systems) and using that as a new background in the updated version below.

Procedure generated C star is one of my holy grails. The other is M I0 supergiant. It seems that these two exist only as "hand made" stars close to the bubble. I spent countless hours searching for them in the Core, no success. Surprisingly, there was a third "grail" - A I0 supergiant. I was convinced it exists only in the hand made space too. But then found couple of these near Core. So far it seems it is the rarest type of star. So who knows, maybe C and M I0 exist too, but are extremely hard to find.

In general, statistics wise, procedure generated and hand made stars shouldnt be put in same place, IMO.
From what I can see all C-systems were manually added. I've added a flag to the PG-systems and filtered out the non-PG-systems in the updated version below.

Great work, but i have to say there are a few notable sources of error in this data:

First is that it is of course only from commander data, which means that certain areas such as Sag A* will be extra surveyed because of it's popularity. Second is that as you can see with carbon stars, the areas where there are many known in real life stars, SOL being the example here, there is an incredible increase in stars.

Again great work, but just keep that in mind.
Agreed, absolutely. Regarding the systems in the immediate proximity of Sol: Most of those are non-PG systems which have been removed in the updated version below.

I'll probably do another update with Herbig AEBEs. Any other wishes? SpectralClass, SpectrallSubClass, LuminosityClass and LuminositySubClass would also be available.

Updated maps (all in one big pic):
d4A7GPI.jpg

Top Bottom