Do Fdev understand the value (both in game and real world) of 'Player Housing' i.e. Ship Interiors?

...did I seriously just read the suggestion that EDO is a 'finished title' and that hotfixes are just to 'polish up the mistakes'?

Whether it's easy or not is irrelevant. If you care about your product, and your product isn't finished because 'coming from a coder, it's not that easy', then you either postpone release, invest more in the development, or release a watered down version that actually works with an actual road map for the remainder.

If you don't care about your product, then you make an informed decision to take an acceptable risk on releasing an unfinished and poorly tested product in the knowledge that meeting your end-of-year projections will likely pay off in the long run, salvaging what is left of the project from a financial perspective. Then post-release you can patch her up to MVP standard and hope another no mans sky or cyberpunk happens with regard to reviews and word of mouth support.

1 minute to walk around a ship or see more than a sim will let you versus a several months worth of programming MINIUM. What we have now was the take on SC and FD still did a far better job and isn't in EA. I guess you could say EDho is a finished title and hotfixes are just to polish up the mistakes Dev's have made "coming from a coder, it's not that easy".
As far as teleporters and new cool stuff like you would see in Star Trek. Give Dev's a break, the Hyperdrive cinematic is your loading screen so the game is seamless or seems seamless, doesn't that seem to be nice?
I built a super machine worth $4,200 but I'm on the small guys side. Lets not get out of control for the smaller machines out there. We are lucky that Dev's could pull off space walking and are still working on the optimization for smaller machines. So as the post I'm quoting is a perfect way of saying let the Dev's do what is important.
Who said anything about StarsTrek teleporters? Is that a thing people are asking for? I mean, it might be. Haven't had time to read all the ship interiors threads to find out. If they have I'm aganst it.

Come on. I'm looking for a little pragmatism, here. Every thread I have had the time to read has been a shouting match between those who want eye candy and those who don't.

Ship interiors has never been solely about eye candy. Nor should it be about unreasonable requests. There are mechanics in the game right now that would actually be greatly enhanced by ship interiors. A ship landed on a planet is just a structure on struts, so why not have boardable versions as planetary signals? Or a dozen other simple things. They don't have to be impossible asks. They shouldn't be, in point of fact.

And a big ask would be the timing. It's hugely unreasonable to expect ship interiors in any form for console release, or any Odyssey release. It's not unreasonable to ask FDev to keep ship interiors on their radar for future releases, however.

Unfortunately for this pragmatic commander, it's also unreasonable to expect reasonable voices in a gaming forum.

But I knew that coming in.

Last edited:
Nope, not really. It's just running down corridors and playing a minigame.
What's a planetary scan, if not a mini game? Those modules you like to engineer? Grindy, grindy mini-game.

Don't tell me the whole fps thing is anything but a mini-game and not expect me to laugh at you. There's no actual meaningful content there. Unless you're counting the BGS it affects. But then that's widely called a mini-game too, isn't it?

It's all a mini-game until you put it all together.

Whereas it would be cool to have a ship interior, I can't see it adding a whole new dimension to gameplay. Once you've been through the ship a few times, what would be the point? Imo, the only interior that could add lasting content would be a display case of extremely rare items that you could uncover on distant worlds. Don't get me wrong, it would be cool but would it really be worth all the effort that would need to go into it?

Whereas it would be cool to have a ship interior, I can't see it adding a whole new dimension to gameplay. Once you've been through the ship a few times, what would be the point? Imo, the only interior that could add lasting content would be a display case of extremely rare items that you could uncover on distant worlds. Don't get me wrong, it would be cool but would it really be worth all the effort that would need to go into it?
You're approaching this from a standpoint of interiors for their own sake, and I agree it wouldn't work.

But think outside of your own ship. Every wrecked ship everywhere, every landed Cobra or abandoned Sidewinder could have interiors. Instead of the three cannisters that were blatantly placed outsid of the wreckage of an Anaconda there could be a whole cargo bay inside with raiders already looting it!

Why wouldn't you want a mission to sneak into a ship in a hangarsat the same concourse to steal something?

Not only could it provide collateral content to virtually every other aspect of the game, it could inspire new content from those other aspects. Like a new SRV with more cargo space for those wrecked Anacondas.

Or, I suppose you could put that trophy case in the empty hangar, I guess.

Collectibles, unique decorations from your travels and rare missions. Steal parts from killed ships for your own. That would be nice. Switchable panels and lights. Lot of lights.
And some functionalities like a power regulator charger or an e-breach dispenser... DIY

To be frank, I don't think Frontier understand the value of anything anymore. They certainly didn't seem to understand the value of their original dev team, the value of fixing bugs that have been present in the game since its release, or moderating their toxic player community

What's a planetary scan, if not a mini game? Those modules you like to engineer? Grindy, grindy mini-game.

Don't tell me the whole fps thing is anything but a mini-game and not expect me to laugh at you. There's no actual meaningful content there. Unless you're counting the BGS it affects. But then that's widely called a mini-game too, isn't it?

It's all a mini-game until you put it all together.
More minigames will not make ED a game.
Going back and adding depth and consequences to the existing gameplay WILL make it a game.

"Do Fdev understand the value (both in game and real world) of 'Player Housing' i.e. Ship Interiors?"

"We have no plans for ship interiors" - FDev community leader few days ago
Its like talking to a rock.

When I have an entirely galaxy to fly around and see, literally the last thing that interests me is the inside of my ship.

I'm pretty confident about this because buying houses in Skyrim is just something I did and then ignored them all (except one I occasionally stashed my loot in), and building communities in Fallout 4 just made me want to grind my teeth after the initial 20 minutes playing around stuffing bits of prefab together and giving the NPCs beds, mutfruit and gun turrets.

I get that this is subjective. There's nothing right or wrong to want to walk around your ship interior, decorate it with paintings, furniture, platinum toilets or whatever: it you want that, you want it. But from my personal perspective, it would be 30 minutes for me to check out for curiosity's sake, and then I'd never bother ever again. I figure I'm far from the only person who'd rather have coders' time spent creating new alien races, ships, suits, guns, biomes etc. and I suspect that's what Frontier decided, too.

More minigames will not make ED a game.
Going back and adding depth and consequences to the existing gameplay WILL make it a game.
Wonder which is more likely to happen? In either case, adding an interior to the crashed Anacondas in the example I gave is the very definition of adding depth. Depth is what I'm talking about, and ship interiors is one way to add that depth.

What makes for shallow gameplay? How about finding a crashed ship and not being able to look inside for survivors? Sure, those three cannisters of biowaste scattered conspicuously around the site might be pure salvage gold, but suddenly being able to peek inside is a sure opportunity for this depth you seem to want. Especially if that survivor is a mission giver.

When I have an entirely galaxy to fly around and see, literally the last thing that interests me is the inside of my ship.

I'm pretty confident about this because buying houses in Skyrim is just something I did and then ignored them all (except one I occasionally stashed my loot in), and building communities in Fallout 4 just made me want to grind my teeth after the initial 20 minutes playing around stuffing bits of prefab together and giving the NPCs beds, mutfruit and gun turrets.

I get that this is subjective. There's nothing right or wrong to want to walk around your ship interior, decorate it with paintings, furniture, platinum toilets or whatever: it you want that, you want it. But from my personal perspective, it would be 30 minutes for me to check out for curiosity's sake, and then I'd never bother ever again. I figure I'm far from the only person who'd rather have coders' time spent creating new alien races, ships, suits, guns, biomes etc. and I suspect that's what Frontier decided, too.
Ugh. Why is it that literally the only people I see talking about this thinks it's all about player houses?

Because it isn't.

Well, TBF the original post was, bit I disagree with that poster as well.

It ought NOT to be about player houses! Is it a crime to want my future content to include the insides of - not my, but all - ships? I don't care about walking around my own ship. I DO care about the gameplay opportunities that arise from walking around ALL ships!

Sorry OP, My opinion is Ship Interiors will be a complete waste of the Dev team's time...................It'll all be just eye candy with ZERO contribution to the actual gameplay.

I will put on record now, that if FDev does introduce Ship Interior's to ED/EDO, I will not spend one second doing it......it'll be pointless............did you see the Stream from SC where a streamer was filling an empty mug at a Coffee Machine?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
What is the actual gameplay of this game? I'm interested to hear what you think the 'gameplay' is?

"Do Fdev understand the value (both in game and real world) of 'Player Housing' i.e. Ship Interiors?"

"We have no plans for ship interiors" - FDev community leader few days ago
Its like talking to a rock.

They also said something to the effect of "if players consider them a must, we'll consider it". A pretty insulting thing to say given that we were told straight up that ship interiors were coming during the Kickstarter and during the sale of LEPs, but hey. Anyway, yeah, threads like this do serve a useful purpose, they let Frontier know that we (most of us, at least, no need to freak out if this doesn't apply to you) do consider ship interiors a must.

Gognards gonna grog. Look. I’m middle age+, I run a massive table top gaming group with members older and younger than me, I teach college and HS classes full time, I have MS and GS children. I’m very aware of the gaming habits of all these subgroups.

Almost everyone I know from ALL of those groups spends a ridiculous amount of time decorating their “homes” in ANY game that gives them ability too.

If some members of this forum wouldn’t, if you have any contact with any gaming group outside your echo chamber, you know you’re a minute minority in the gaming world.

Well done interiors would be an asset to EDO. Apparently some active FDev forumites and some FDev employees are the only ones so out of touch to not know this.

I am pretty sure Frontier are not capable of adding this much desired feature . They will get surpassed by another title which does provide Ship Interiors and then goodbye EDO and hello Starfield or whatever that title might be . If Frontier show even some trace of an ability to add new features to EDO beyond what has already been seen I might rethink this - but I can't even sit down anywhere . I can't buy a drink from a Barkeep - Every Concourse looks the same other than some minor color and panel changes . I just don't think Frontier are capable of supporting Ship interiors - either with this engine or with this development team . I would be overjoyed if they did ... but really I don't think it is ever going to happen .

Jesus christ another ship interiors post, could we get a freaking megathread for all of these topics I'm sick of seeing new threads pop up almost every day talking about them.

Indeed. Player housing/ship interiors are a huge deal for many players. There have been entire MMOs that had a whole sub community around housing. Heck, I remember back in the days of Ulitma Online player housing was the number one feature of the game.

I'm surprised with all the ARX they push, that they would create interiors solely as a huge cash cow it would be. Huge missed opportunity

Top Bottom