Do "purple-haired heroes" scare everyone into Solo?

Just when the feeling of coming back start to kindle in me I see yet more reasons why it just isn't worth the bother. It really pains me to say this because I used to genuinely love this game to the point where I played it to the exclusion of all other games, but this attitude that permeates it regarding blocking and the various modes is about as attractive as the flu. Coupled with phoned in back of the stove development it just isn't worth the time investment.

I wonder if Frontier's "next big thing" will address some of this mess?
Blocking folk whom a player considers not sharing their game time with isn't that bad, unless the player blocked is yourself, surely? (I have no-one blocked, yet :) )

As for modes, they existed on the day you started playing, so being a martyr to them now makes little to no sense...

The above quote from a person who threw the word "drama" at me when I mentioned folk walking away from the game? Astonishing!

Don't worry, instances are still being maxed out to their technical limits regardless if people like me are sometimes switching to Solo or attempting to use block to "even the odds". If anything, I'm doing the gankers a favor by making more room in their instances for people with better bandwidth than I have.

On another note, some of these traders cause just as much grief as the purples. Blasting through the mailslot in your T9 with no warning at all, despite my own polite "T9 Arriving" transmission beforehand, well let's just say the next T9 that "rams" me rudely will be calling me a griefer when I jump into my Vulture and fry his slot-hogging elephant butt!

Either that or I'll just block him :p
I say gank him, thats more fun ;)

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Can't get that combat Elite without doing combat. It used to be all about combat in the past you know. Of course back then it wasn't multiplayer yet.

- "On Sundays I gank spaceships in Elite on NES platform."
Indeed one can't - however not all players see combat Elite as a goal.

It did used to be the only Elite rank - but the game grew in scope at this iteration as well as adding optional multi-player.

This blocking is complicated enough (to me, anyway), that I've started a separate thread on the matter.

This includes some noob questions and potential clever ideas. Input is welcome!

Just when the feeling of coming back start to kindle in me I see yet more reasons why it just isn't worth the bother. It really pains me to say this because I used to genuinely love this game to the point where I played it to the exclusion of all other games, but this attitude that permeates it regarding blocking and the various modes is about as attractive as the flu. Coupled with phoned in back of the stove development it just isn't worth the time investment.
:cry:

I wonder if Frontier's "next big thing" will address some of this mess?
Probably Most definitely not, since apart from you and a few other misguided individuals nobody sees blocking and mode freedom as a mess.

I have a question, and I don't think it warrants a separate thread, so here we go. How does blocking work on PC?

For example, if I were to block just of couple of the more persistent purple-haired heroes who frequent the CG, that will cause me to go into a different instance than ALL of the gankers in their shared instance, yes? This would also increase the likelihood of me being instanced with other traders who have also blocked one or more ganker, correct? But if I go to a different system, then any of the non-blocked gankers can still instance with me.

My thinking is to use the block as a temporary, strategic tool to ensure I'm not being dumped into "ganker hell" at the CG while still playing the game in Open, which also allows the vast majority of gankers to instance with me outside the CG, just not all at the same time.

Thoughts?
Are you essentially treating the block list as a vaccination and asking if Herd Immunity would be a thing?

TBH, I've been playing in open since I got the game. I have attended several CG's and have never been ganked. I was only ever interdicted once by thargoids (okay, there were four of them). I think it must be that I'm on PS4, even the thargoids find PC better :p

Are you essentially treating the block list as a vaccination and asking if Herd Immunity would be a thing?
It didn't quite work out like that. So instead I'm treating the block list like a restraining order against creeps, cheats, exploiters, and harassers. My goal is still to keep the list as small as possible so not to miss out from meeting decent people (that includes PvPers) in the game.

That and I signed up for Mobius, for things like CGs when I want to do some hauling without an immersion-breaking ganker gauntlet. So yeah, modes are good! That said, if Frontier made all CGs Open-only (along with PP and even BGS), I would understand and not complain. Others would, and I understand that as well. 🤷

(The shrug emoji is becoming my favorite in threads like these.)

"That and I signed up for Mobius, for things like CGs when I want to do some hauling without an immersion-breaking ganker gauntlet."

Yes, because we all know how immersive having everyone grinning and offering to hug you is in the dystopian future that is the ED universe:)

Sorry Old Duck, that didn't sound like griefing to me, but rather a couple players enforcing a blockade. Defaulting to calling them names is making a statement that presumably "non-griefer" play styles is somehow more valid and correct than theirs, which is of course pure nonsense.

On topic though: imagine how much more fun this game would be if there was only one shared mode. I'd probably never stop playing.
I agree that solo should not impact the common universe, I would like a PVE and a PVP option, both using the same universe.

Or at least make it hard to swap modes, like if you want to log into another mode you get a time punishment.

Like in ArmA, you can’t just swap team, you will get 260 second timeout.

I agree that solo should not impact the common universe, I would like a PVE and a PVP option, both using the same universe.

Or at least make it hard to swap modes, like if you want to log into another mode you get a time punishment.

Like in ArmA, you can’t just swap team, you will get 260 second timeout.
OH WOW
Spank us Lysan. Make us be good. :)

"You've got to become Elite, Alex"
elite-advert-01.jpg

Then why state:

?
To clarify;

Swapping back and forth is not the best way to interact with the background simulation. If one stay in SOLO it’s ok.

SOLO is used by some as a free card, and it’s the same reason in other games you get a high time penalty if you swap modes in the game.

Top Bottom