Do we have a ETA on the cure for the beige plague?

Brett (I think it was him) said the fix was not coming in 2.3. I'm not too annoyed for it, but recently I made a ruins tour with a few friends and seeing the same moon just in other system over and over again was a bit... monotonous.

Will it be fixed in 2.4 or earlier?

Having rocky and metal planets be mostly beigefied would not be so much of a problem, if we could fly on the other planet types.

But I also have a feeling that we will never see other types of planets.

Same for me.
Horizons was released almost two years ago.
Yet there's still only one SRV type and no other landable body types have been added.

Ten year plan? At that pace ten years would be sufficient for horizons alone.

Other planets have never been part of the Horizons Season.

Other planets have never been part of the Horizons Season.

Can you provide a link?
The in game store and the official horizons page state nowhere that it's only about landing on non atmosphere rocks/ice bodies and that atmospheric bodies will be added later on.

Travel seamlessly from space to any point on the surface of accurately simulated planets and moons throughout Elite Dangerous' full-scale Milky Way galaxy, and drive new SRV ground vehicles. Each 1:1 scale world offers incredible vistas and countless gameplay opportunities.

Explore the surfaces of countless worlds today, and unlock new ways to play in five themed expansions.

Can you provide a link?
The in game store and the official horizons page state nowhere that it's only about landing on non atmosphere rocks/ice bodies and that atmospheric bodies will be added later on.

No, but it was stated ad-nauseum during live streams that this was indeed the case.

No, but it was stated ad-nauseum during live streams that this was indeed the case.

Indeed. Step 1 of planet procedural generation was rocky bodies only. Then came geysers. Next up is could be worlds with atmo (ammonia worlds, lava worlds etc, but no life), perhaps planets like modern day Mars ( not in-game Mars, for obvious reasons ).

But ye, Horizons was never slated for atmo-planets.

Hear that a lot in the dev line of work. Just because we don't attend to issues quickly, doesn't mean we've decided to do nothing about them. :)
More than likely, the issue hasn't been resolved yet because it's proven to be much more complicated to fix than we, as the customers, could know.

In fairness, more communication on the technical's would be both interesting and serve to quell unrest amongst the community.

Hear that a lot in the dev line of work. Just because we don't attend to issues quickly, doesn't mean we've decided to do nothing about them. :)
More than likely, the issue hasn't been resolved yet because it's proven to be much more complicated to fix than we, as the customers, could know.

As a former PM for a software house I can also say there are things which never get done for various reasons. ;)

Lets remember that this was a change - not a bug. This is something Frontier wanted and were not prepared for the players reaction or the extent of the changes they caused. Yes they said they would look at it but is it seen as a bug by them?

That was never really made clear in the responses we were given...

As a former PM for a software house I can also say there are things which never get done for various reasons. ;)

Lets remember that this was a change - not a bug. This is something Frontier wanted and were not prepared for the players reaction or the extent of the changes they caused. Yes they said they would look at it but is it seen as a bug by them?

That was never really made clear in the responses we were given...

To me this sounds like it's both, intended and unintended:
My apologies for not responding sooner, this issue has been on my list to chase up for a while. The reason for the difference being observed on the rocky worlds is the change to the new material system - in theory this is more accurate as it uses the chemical properties to determine the colour (obviously I'm simplifying a bit here!), however the problem is that those colours were based on Earth standard colouration for those materials, and most of those are beige/brown rather than the colours you might observe in the myriad of other possible conditions. We're currently working on a more flexible material system, and this will necessitate a fresh balance pass on these. That's not going to be in 2.3 though.

Michael

I have a bad feeling they've decided to do nothing...

I hope to proven wrong.

I'm hoping the wait is because there's no point in fixing it until something else goes in. Perhaps they're revamping the lighting (multiple shadow-casters) or adding Thargoid worlds (!) or just giving a general beauty pass to things. Who knows? They won't be not adding it just to annoy us.

Top Bottom