Do we have a ETA on the cure for the beige plague?

There's a middle ground between LSD land and plain brown.

We don't want NMS type of planets, we want a rollback to what was before the beige plague.

so does anyone in this real world know exactly what colour these planets really are? for all we know they may well all be brown or variants of brown, i mean the planets in our own Solar System aren't exactly streaming with colour, so why can't we buy into FD vision that this may well be the colours of distant planets.

For me personally i care not a jot about the browness of the said planets, the terrain has improved and that is a far greater importance to me personally.

Natural colours or No Man's Sky?

I will forever choose the natural. [yesnod]

But, of course, I would like to see a wider range of planet types to land on.

+1 for this. It would make a lot of people very happy to know we were going to get some more variation on planetary surfaces in 2.4 - I for one would be entirely comfortable about sacrificing a deal of 'realism' for some pretty planets!

Like the poster above I have been purposely holding off exploration - would love to undertake the last leg of my journey to Elite with deeper mechanics, more varied colours and (one can dream) atmospheric planets!

As a former PM for a software house I can also say there are things which never get done for various reasons. ;)
lol, true enough. We have several items on our list that won't get done because, quite frankly, nobody wants to do it. :p

Lets remember that this was a change - not a bug. This is something Frontier wanted and were not prepared for the players reaction or the extent of the changes they caused. Yes they said they would look at it but is it seen as a bug by them?
Aye, I'd forgotten it wasn't a bug. Therefore, if the design was to create a more accurate look, as Michael stated was the purpose, then no, I don't think they'd see it as a bug; however he did say that they are working on a more flexible system; so maybe, right now, it's "good enough" (which as you know, in development, means it's okay to release and ignore for a while) whilst they work on this new system; which could just be taking a long time to develop, test and get right.

I'm not too bothered by the beige, so I tend to ignore it.

I like natural, but I'd be okay with a bit of creative flair. :D

img562_s86.jpg

642377.jpg

nibiru-effect.jpg

Wallpapers-room_com___daemon_by_zwordarts_1920x1080.jpg

The best thing is to try and use our own solar system as a reference. And we seem to have a multitude of colours. Even pluto an ice planet isn't just white, it has different coloured patches on it.

Pluto:
BbrcoKD.jpg

So I would say something betweeen NMS and what we have now, but more leaning to what we have now, would be more accurate. But it isn't easy to know for sure.

Unfortunately, planets without atmospheres seem to tend towards browns and greys. FD's intentional change might have things looking pretty accurate. The question might best be phrased as: should FD change it simply for aesthetic reasons, or leave it as it is for sim reasons?

As noted above though, pluto is kind of brownish-grey, mars is more reddish (but apparently only skin deep).

Maybe FD can tweak things a little to give a little more variety, without going overboard.

Unfortunately, planets without atmospheres seem to tend towards browns and greys. FD's intentional change might have things looking pretty accurate. The question might best be phrased as: should FD change it simply for aesthetic reasons, or leave it as it is for sim reasons?
It should be pointed out that Elite Dangerous has already chosen to aesthetics over strict realism in some cases, such as the way galaxies & nebulas are portrayed in the night sky (enhancing the brightness & even the colours, to more closely match those typically used in magazine articles).

So even IF the current beige is realistic (and it seems that is not entirely so), that need not prevent FDev taking a bit of creative license :) .

Last edited:
I created a thread and a ticket in October. After more threads and a couple of Obsidian Ant's videos all begging for a response, we finally got a confirmation this was unintended and a bug in February. That's 3 months just to get noticed. 3 months. So, extrapolate from that how long you'll have to twiddle your thumbs to get some information on the progress of addressing this problem, not even considering how long you'll be twiddling for them to fix it. And I can spare you the disappointment. It's none. Not a single minute of a single developer has gone into fixing the beigification. There's Thargoids to think about. There's PS4 to think about.

It seems that only heat metas and such combaty things warrant a quick response. Anything outside combat just has to suck it's thumb. You would think that the appearance of planets in a spacegame, especially planets of the landable kind, would get some attention from Frontier, but nope. You will have to beg and shout, plea and put on a parade to even get noticed. Frontier is willing to respond on a threat posted on reddit by SDC within days, but ask nicely and be ignored. If only that eagerness was shown to CMDRs who prefer the other trails that can be blazed.

In short, it's not combat, thus at the bottom of the priority list. I was positive this would have been addressed in 2.4. But seeing how the limelight feature is Thargoids and a couple of Thargy installations, which is hilariously added to the exploration content nominator, that's our lot folks. Maybe, perhaps, who knows, in part 3 someone might actually attribute some capacity to this issue.

I for one will be voting with my wallet. I will be judging the effort that went into the kind of playing style I chose to engage in up until season 3. One of those factors is a bug that ruins a large part of my game. A bug that means a lot to a lot of people playing the game, but doesn't register to those who develop it. A bug that rendered 3 signature planets that had meaning to be completely ridiculous. I won't buy a promise that that neglected playing style will get some attention in part 3. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me update after update after update, kindly go screw your little combat space game.

Ziggy Whiny McWhinyface Stardust.

No
however the problem is that those colours were based on Earth standard colouration for those materials, and most of those are beige/brown rather than the colours you might observe in the myriad of other possible conditions. We're currently working on a more flexible material system, and this will necessitate a fresh balance pass on these. That's not going to be in 2.3 though.

Michael

Last edited:
It should be pointed out that Elite Dangerous has already chosen to aesthetics over strict realism in some cases, such as the way galaxies & nebulas are portrayed in the night sky (enhancing the brightness & even the colours, to more closely match those typically used in magazine articles).

So even IF the current beige is realistic (and it seems that is not entirely so), that need not prevent FDev taking a bit of creative license :) .

As said earlier, and repeated by Ziggy: it is not 'because of realism'. Its an error. They acknowledged it and are working to fix it. The only question is 'when will it be done', which is a fair question. Doubt we'll get an answer but still. :p

verminstar

Banned
I have a bad feeling they've decided to do nothing...

I hope to proven wrong.

Gotta say, Ive had this same sinking suspicion that they are simply gonna brush it under the carpet and hope it goes away never to be spoken of again. They already said they know what they broke but that fixing it really wasnt easy, so ye...they aint said tickedy boo about this in months and Im starting to think its just gonna get ignored now.

This caused a big enough stink 6 months ago that a dev answered...since that, theres been nothing...absolutely and utterly nothing from FD to suggest they are gonna fix it. And it is indeed still broken. Although dark side turning to light side is just laughable in a tragic sorta way...in my opinion, some things have went forward but the graphics have gone backwards. This game simply doesnt look as cool as when I started...and thats not right surely?

Gotta say, Ive had this same sinking suspicion that they are simply gonna brush it under the carpet and hope it goes away never to be spoken of again. They already said they know what they broke but that fixing it really wasnt easy, so ye...they aint said tickedy boo about this in months and Im starting to think its just gonna get ignored now.

This caused a big enough stink 6 months ago that a dev answered...since that, theres been nothing...absolutely and utterly nothing from FD to suggest they are gonna fix it. And it is indeed still broken. Although dark side turning to light side is just laughable in a tragic sorta way...in my opinion, some things have went forward but the graphics have gone backwards. This game simply doesnt look as cool as when I started...and thats not right surely?

They said they'd fix it. They said they wouldnt fix it in 2.3, but after that. There is zero reason to believe anything changed, although an update would be nice.

I created a thread and a ticket in October. After more threads and a couple of Obsidian Ant's videos all begging for a response, we finally got a confirmation this was unintended and a bug in February. That's 3 months just to get noticed. 3 months. So, extrapolate from that how long you'll have to twiddle your thumbs to get some information on the progress of addressing this problem, not even considering how long you'll be twiddling for them to fix it. And I can spare you the disappointment. It's none. Not a single minute of a single developer has gone into fixing the beigification. There's Thargoids to think about. There's PS4 to think about.

I would be very suprised if the materials and planetary surface team are working on the weapons for thargoids or the PS4 port. I suspect they are working as has been stated by Michael on a more flexible material system. This could also make general exploration and ground formation POI a possibility, and also have mateials that we can find in certain areas instead of just scattered around in any old place.

That is my hope, which would give reasons as to why it is taking time to do properly. I can also imagine that it would need lots of testing so it doesn't make planets look too ridiculous (NMS I am looking at you).
This is my hope anyway. Hopefully it will be in for 2.4, but we may have to wait for 3.0 which I suspect will coming for xmas which could include more planetary types to land on (again my hope).

Last edited:
This game simply doesnt look as cool as when I started...and thats not right surely?
I'm on my way to http://i.imgur.com/JcF7Gmn.jpg which now looks like http://i.imgur.com/gCEcnfp.jpg

Going to park my boat on the surface, log in once in a while to check if they fixed my precious. Log out if they haven't. And that's going to be it. No need to buy part 3 if the new exploration mechanics allow me to experience brown/beige in new and exciting ways.

verminstar

Banned
They said they'd fix it. They said they wouldnt fix it in 2.3, but after that. There is zero reason to believe anything changed, although an update would be nice.

They say a lotta things...you and I both know that not everything comes true though...and I dont trust FD as it is so...?

Took them 4 months before they even admitted they broke something...or did we forget about that one?

Not expecting an answer this time either...only reason they answered at all last time was because some big name players like Obsidian ant took up the fight fer answers...now though, they appear to have completely forgotten about that and every time its brought up, they seem to pretend not to hear the question ^

Last edited:
The only question is 'when will it be done', which is a fair question. Doubt we'll get an answer but still. :p

How is 'not in 2.3' not an answer? I interpret that as 2.4 or later.
ChrisH's point is a good one. Strive for realism where practical, but there is scope for artistic licence.

If/when atmospheric landings become a thing I'd anticipate much more variety of colour from chemical reactions in a fluid. I'd guess that caves & overhangs (rather than just a heightmap) might be introduced with atmospheres too. I realise some of the planets we land on used to have an atmosphere but I'd expect the game's mechanical ability to represent this stuff to come with atmospheric landings, and the current rocks we land on potentially may not even be updated if the minimum hardware requirements to generate more complex worlds increases significantly.

Once atmospheric landings are a thing I suspect the current landable planets will slip very much into the background of player's priorities :)

There's a middle ground between LSD land and plain brown.

We don't want NMS type of planets, we want a rollback to what was before the beige plague.

Definitively don't want the ridiculous planets of NMS either.

But I wish some company, either FD or any other, took notice on the monumental pre-sales and total players on NMS's release day, and realized that there is a huge number of potential customers waiting for a good space exploration game and not only one more Generic SpacePew #3254. The only good thing about NMS is the obvious realization that there is a large market waiting for such a game.

I

Last edited:
I think the cure must come with the Space Legs update ( far in the future ).

I am hoping for coloring and lighting system in real time just as Unreal 4.0 engine does it.

Here is an example of the color and lighting of Unreal 4.0 engine:
[video=youtube;E3LtFrMAvQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3LtFrMAvQ4[/video]

Today color and lighting model of Elite is like a game from the early 2000. It is cartoonish and "beige". Lack color depth, ( not meaning saturation, but number of color variation within the "beige" ).
I think the reason for this is the Game Console adaptation.

But that have to change over time, although not a pressing matter.

Remember that emerging non-repetitive(depth) Gameplay Content greatly outweighs any graphics in games.

Top Bottom