Do we have a ETA on the cure for the beige plague?

Hi all. I just though I would put this in here. I saw it on one of the behind the scenes videos yesterday.

Look at the planet surface on the screen. Its low res but looks a lot more interesting then what we have at the moment. Maybe some work in progress on what we will see in Q4.

https://i.imgur.com/8OvtKcG.jpg

Yeah, noticed that too, but I think it’s some of the scatter rock system improvements that we will be getting in Q4. It definitely has more surface detail than we currently have. I’m hoping that some of this terrain geometry improvements filter in during 2018 instead of them doing it all in Q4, that would be very nice.

for those new - or finaly fixed? - planets, i only belive what i see first hand. we'll see when it goes live.

SE? Oh. Hah. Not really the same thing as ED though, is it? It's been in development since 2005, so that's like 12 years, which is not surprising given the development team size. It's also not focusing on building a raft of mechanics relating to ships, and their use. So if you have different focus areas, weirdly enough those get done first. ;)

but actualy it's fun to see the gap in beauty between elite and se, i'm not sure if elite will ever be able to get those wow moments i had in space engine. ofc, the approach is something different, but still, se is far ahead of fdevs elite in terms of galaxy beauty.

Last edited:
Yeah, noticed that too, but I think it’s some of the scatter rock system improvements that we will be getting in Q4. It definitely has more surface detail than we currently have. I’m hoping that some of this terrain geometry improvements filter in during 2018 instead of them doing it all in Q4, that would be very nice.

This is my thinking too.

So back on topic, do we have an eta for the fix of beige planets yet ;-)

Originally Posted by mojonaut View Post (Source)
Shouldn't be too quick to discount SE, a lot can happen in 5 months, plus SE already has atmosphere's.

Maybe you should cut down on the multitasking and not drink and read at the same time? ;)

I was answering Mengy's comment regarding Space Engine (SE) geddit?

SE is undoubtedly beautiful, having paid a lot of attention to lighting and 'wow' features like auroras, and atmospheres creating interesting skies to enhance planetary vistas. But once you move to ground level, the fractal landscape generation becomes obvious and the surfaces are still quite bland. It is not optimised for close-up view.

Moreover there is not much geology simulation, which in ED is necessary for surface mining and material collection. I'd say that SE and ED have different strengths and weaknesses.

Man, I can't wait until the Q1 update goes live. Not only to see color return to the galaxy, but also so I can finally change my forum avatar to something else!!!! Looking very forward to both. :cool:

Yes! I'm waiting to go out exploring again. I've got 80% Pioneer and want to finish it with more real exploration. It will be good to explore the 'new' planets.

Man, I can't wait until the Q1 update goes live. Not only to see color return to the galaxy, but also so I can finally change my forum avatar to something else!!!! Looking very forward to both. :cool:

We will have to have a wake for your fallen avatar, it was a good avatar, even if it was beige; taken in their prime, before they really lived as a beige avatar, at all!

Aww man.. *sniff* right in the feels!

Top Bottom