Do you still have faith in Frontier putting the time in for fixing long lasting bugs?

I don't. I don't get it either. With expected small content updates you'd expect that they would have put some effort in fixing issues with already released content. But again big disappointment on that front with this update. Some time ago this post was made about how they 'archive' unfixed bugs. After every update questionable bugs arise. Questionable as in; they should've been caught by the QA team. Example from most recent update. What makes matters worse is that one individual who's getting annoyed with reporting a bug over and over is getting an annoyed response from a certain QA employee. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the post at the moment of posting this. If someone finds it please send me a link to it. And let's not forget their white knight squad at the Frontier ready to stomp out any criticism those players want to express about the current situation. Shameful, that's all I have to say, blegh...

All in all Frontier is known for their lies to their player base. Giving us the impression they're actually doing something to address issues. We've had combat logging report review lies; lying about archived bugs that are, according to a certain QA employee, not actually closed but in fact are. It's clear to me that there is a problem here. They are putting reported bugs on ice because they simply don't have the manpower allotted to address them. That's the only thing that makes sense. I have given up hope that most over and over reported bugs will see a fix anytime soon if at all. I can't blame people for giving up on reporting bugs either. The lack of response other than the typical copy & paste replies on bugs and the increasing amount of questionable bugs with every new update, on top of already existing bugs points to an understaffed QA and Dev team for Elite Dangerous. Shame on you Frontier, shame on you! You're basically taking a leak over a part of the community that actually cares and loves your game by putting in the time and effort to help you squash those issues!

Discommendation

After seeing how Hello Games, a team of like 15, rapidly fix many many bugs with No Man Sky (we had 8 updates in a single month to fix bugs) I have no idea how FDev who has 100+ working on ED can't fix outstanding game breaking glitches after 9 months. If you expect us to buy ship cosmetics then you better iron out bugs POST ING HASTE.

0 faith

Also, with the way they handled our PMF description in game with the update I’ve fully decided they absolutely don’t care and the game is on autopilot.

I will put elite on auto pilot too am stuck,am fed up with the new grind again to draw players to the game another dev that think its the easy way! Damn even copy paste and edit a ship result in Qc failure. The problem is that they show me or us their motivation, intend, care, and willingness to support the game works in this update. To quotes yes NMS is not the same game but their efforts is way off the chart for a small team.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
The thing with Elite is I expect because of the way its evolved the code, is probably spaghetti and lots of the smaller issues which are annoying don't seem to be ironed out. The 'mission board list jumping to the top' being one. These smaller annoyances I can forgive even though they are generally reported every single release and sometimes they don't even make the known issues list.

The 'big budget' issues which cause hard crashes of the game are not fun and these should be investigated and fixed as a priority.

What FDev need to do in my opinion is get a handle on the known issues list, add issues and bugs a lot, lot quicker. It took months to get the SRV crash bug on there and even now it incorrectly talks about PS4 only (when it definitely affects Xbox) and mentions multicrew. Its nothing to do with multicrew.

I have not got much faith in specific bugs being fixed and maybe come chapter 4 this SRV will be put to bed. I haven't lost total faith in FDev yet. No one would ever want to goto work and do a bad job in my opinion. Maybe its a resource issue. For example we dont actually know how big the console team is but, yes Hello Games are embarrassing FDev a little. But, also remember the dark days over at Hello Games. FDev can turn it around.

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Well, there is also this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...onus-Rewards?p=6961377&viewfull=1#post6961377

No - I've just tested that. You get paid the full amount for the scans you have done, but if you want to complete the mission you have to re-dock (or dock again in the future) and pick it up from the start.

It's not so bad - a friend and I have been doing this - we started 3 days ago and are already over half way through, doing just 2-3 hours per evening. What is bad is that many of the obelisks are still bugged. Usually ones involving caskets.

We found that following the canonn science map guides is the best way to go. I came across one obelisk last night which showed a different pair of symbols than those on the canonn map but it turned out the map ones were correct - not the ones shown on the obelisk.

You also really need to keep a note of which scans you've done and cross-reference them with the spreadsheet, the map and the ruins you are scanning, so that you can tell whether a scan isn't working because it's bugged or whether you already have it from somewhere else.

Another common bug is messages saying the scan has failed, when it hasn't. These are old bugs, but from the wording of the original post here, I'm pretty sure that these bugs will never get any attention from FD.

verminstar

Banned
My get up and go got up and went last time I played...3 SRV camera view bugs resulting in 3 complete restarts in a single half hour timeframe. Thats playing in solo, nobody else around...so when its nigh on impossible in multiplayer, and bugged all to hell even when yer playing alone, ye know something very serious is up.

Even if they said something about that bug now, Im not sure I would believe them...they been aware of it fer almost a whole year and are investigating apparently...so they claim anyway but until I see actual physical bugfixes, then Im gonna go with the assumption that FD thinks of console gamers as second class and couldnt care less.

My game time playing other games is a consequence of that loss of faith...words and announcements are now meaningless to me...only actual results will restore faith now, nothing else ^

Nope. The "known issues" list has been a joke for months. It includes no platform-specific issues and just selectively lists a few things. Plus, it's not like they're getting fixed fast.
The NMS example is really blatant: from the 26th of July to the 17th of August they released EIGHT PATCHES (no matter how small, it still shows dedication and the willingness to work on bugs).

Here, on the other hand, we're still waiting to be able to land on planets with friends, to know why the UI trembles in stations, to know why the shadows flicker....and the many other more or less severe bugs we've flagged from Day1.

I believe a huge part of the problem is that we're playing an unfinished game. One might argue that it's not even a beta, but rather an alpha. Imagine if Guerrilla Games published Horizon Zero Dawn just one year into development and told everyone, "Don't worry, we'll continue to add features over the next five years." I'm sure HZD was as buggy and unpolished early on as ED is now. The difference is that most game studios wait until they have a finished product before publishing.

I have to think on some level Frontier regrets their decision to take this approach. If they had waited until the game was finished to be released, then they would be able to focus on one build instead of multiple different stages of the game. A few weeks ago, they were working to get 3.2 out the door while simultaneously working on 3.3, which likely has some radically different coding due to the new lighting and planetary terrain systems. They probably see it as a waste of their time to fix the "old code" we are all playing when they have new code in the works. They seem to forget that months may be a short time for a developer, but it's an eternity for the gamer stuck with all these bugs.

Personally I think the "put passengers on the plane and finish building it while in flight" approach to game development is a failed experiment, as demonstrated by Elite Dangerous and also Star Citizen. Funny thing is, I normally wait an extra year for finished games to be fully debugged before I buy them - the experience is better and the game usually costs a lot less. My excitement over the promise of Elite Dangerous caused me to throw that caution to the wind, and now I regret it.

As for faith, I lost mine some time ago. Actually it's not lost, it's been placed in a company called Bethesda and a game called Starfield. Now if Frontier does get their act together and "makes Elite great again" someday, I'll happily rejoin the Pilot's Federation. ED will always be installed on my PS4, even if it's relegated to the external drive. [yesnod]

Last edited:
I think they will fix this one but simply because many of us will not let this go. However, we're fighting amongst ourselves which does not help in any way. I went to look at this bug thread when I heard about the inevitable archiving this morning, where I can across this;

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/444457-Wasted-evening

Well where do I even start? The ridiculous title? The blatant lie about mods promising something they clearly can't nor would ever? I've posted in that thread asking the OP to rename or ask a mod to rename the thread to something sensible that we can all see represents the no. 1 bug on the PS4. However I doubt anything will be done.

Viajero yes we've seen comments from Lloyd. We've had quite a lot of comments, none of which amount to anything much at all. I've also seen comments from Lloyd, some months ago that he would chase up the Cobra Mk IV on the PS4, and again I've asked for a chase up on the chase up, to which I got no response. I've also asked Mitch to confirm whether the bug has been replicated at FDev towers so then at least we know we can sit back and let them take care of it. However none of this has materialised. It's just basic customer service to keep people in the loop; trotting out the same platitudes does not keep us in the loop. We took the responses at face value back in the previous patch to 'check again' when the update drops to see if it has been fixed and we're now two updates on and nothing has changed. This update would have been a great opportunity to throw a bone to the PS4 community and say 'hey we know you're super frustrated about the SRV issue, he's some concrete news about the Cobra MK IV' but alas our ranking is shown to be lower than those folks on other platforms who believe we shouldn't get it at all.

Tbh i have 0 faith, but i love this game, i enjoy robbing ppl and making clips of it but a bug such as stolen cargo not appearing in the hold if the original owner has left the instance before i pick it up now atm its working but fdev need to release more fixes, i understand it might be complicated but surely it doesn't take that long.

I think they will fix this one but simply because many of us will not let this go. However, we're fighting amongst ourselves which does not help in any way. I went to look at this bug thread when I heard about the inevitable archiving this morning, where I can across this;

Well where do I even start? The ridiculous title? The blatant lie about mods promising something they clearly can't nor would ever? I've posted in that thread asking the OP to rename or ask a mod to rename the thread to something sensible that we can all see represents the no. 1 bug on the PS4. However I doubt anything will be done.

Viajero yes we've seen comments from Lloyd. We've had quite a lot of comments, none of which amount to anything much at all. I've also seen comments from Lloyd, some months ago that he would chase up the Cobra Mk IV on the PS4, and again I've asked for a chase up on the chase up, to which I got no response. I've also asked Mitch to confirm whether the bug has been replicated at FDev towers so then at least we know we can sit back and let them take care of it. However none of this has materialised. It's just basic customer service to keep people in the loop; trotting out the same platitudes does not keep us in the loop. We took the responses at face value back in the previous patch to 'check again' when the update drops to see if it has been fixed and we're now two updates on and nothing has changed. This update would have been a great opportunity to throw a bone to the PS4 community and say 'hey we know you're super frustrated about the SRV issue, he's some concrete news about the Cobra MK IV' but alas our ranking is shown to be lower than those folks on other platforms who believe we shouldn't get it at all.

It does appear that both the PS4 and Xbox specific issues have either been ignored or deprioritized in favour of releasing more variants on the chieftain, more variants on the thargoids and more variants on the Guardian unlock.

I have lost any confidence in Frontier ever giving us a Cobra MkIV despite no technical reason why they can't give it to all user bases with a relatively simple flick of the switch (including the PC master race).

We started reporting the SRV crash bug shortly after 3.1 went live (February).
I spoke to Ed about it at EliteMeet in April. I wasn't surprised that it wasn't on his radar as I wouldn't expect a community manager to be on top of all the latest bug fixes but I tried my luck because I know he was a PS4 Commander as well.
Since then it eventually made it onto the known issue list (but only after we all kicked up a fuss about it appearing to be forgotten) only for it to be mis-identified as a multi-crew issue for SRVs (You cannot do Multi-crew and SRV at the same time).

What would be really good would be to have a 'clear the decks' livestream where Frontier would give us an update on issues like this and the other listed 'known issues'. I don't want Frontier to go into explicit detail,

- Just a simple acknowledgement of the issue,
- Possibly a little bit of an insight into what they have looked at to date / if there is any reason why it has not yet been fixed.
- Some sort of aspiration of when Frontier are targeting a fix (with the caveat that things might change as the fix progresses etc)
for example, would it be a fix that they are looking to fix in the short term (next day / week or so), medium term (weeks / months away), longer term (release 3.3 or beyond) or never....

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

I have had a look as was going to rename it but it appears very vague and I am not sure if its that exact issue or multiple issues. I will leave it to QA.

Nail, head.

I feel like I'm the only person on this forum that is happy with the game.

I logged in this morning before work to see where the Gnosis had taken me, only to realize that I hadn't actually docked after taking a quick look at HD 51502 last week. Doh, I missed the boat! That's 21 jumps in my Keelback to catch up with the Gnosis. I started my journey (and I already see a new bug in the galaxy map), finding some undiscovered planets on the way. It's been awhile since I've been "out and about" like this, and it struck me that I do still very much enjoy the game when it works properly. Shadows really aren't an issue during deep space exploration, and the cockpit shader issue is less noticeable in my Keelback compared to my explora' Orca.

Dl2bmAsXcAAhLkG.jpg

Long story short, I would be happy to be happy with the game again, especially when I get glimmers of that happiness like I did this morning.

I feel like I'm the only person on this forum that is happy with the game.
Your not alone, SharkBite! I think the majority of the players are, but "haters" seem to cry louder. This was not a comment to any of you in this thread in particular. I can understand the frustration if the game you want to play is broken. But for me, and maybe for many of us, we simply play the game in a way that we dont see to many bugs? Or dont mind when they appear...

I believe a huge part of the problem is that we're playing an unfinished game.
Have to agree with you there. I even waited 3 years before purchasing ED because I hoped most "major" issues would have been resolved by then. That said, I've had plenty of CTDs and minor bugs over the past year, which ultimately lead to my complete avoidance of planetary missions and now wing missions in general. Rather tragic, but I'm not letting those bugs ruin the entire game for me (yet).

As for faith, I lost mine some time ago. Actually it's not lost, it's been placed in a company called Bethesda [...]
As a pretty big fan of The Elder Scrolls all I can say is: "I used to be a pack-hound of bugs like you, then I took an optimist to the knee." Long live unofficial patches... :D

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Your not alone, SharkBite! I think the majority of the players are, but "haters" seem to cry louder. This was not a comment to any of you in this thread in particular. I can understand the frustration if the game you want to play is broken. But for me, and maybe for many of us, we simply play the game in a way that we dont see to many bugs? Or dont mind when they appear...

Yeh, in no way am I a "hater" I want a serious bug fixing....

I'd invite you to visit the comment thread of: any recent TY video released by frontier, any recent FB post by the ED account, this recent PC Gamer article, not to mention this forum and Reddit. Or again, watch the recent roundtable discussions by the major Elite Youtubers.

It's not just "moaners" being louder. There are the "haters", but there are also a LOT of very affectionate players who are expressing very reasonable concerns/complaints and who -- after many months or years -- are getting a bit tired of complaining, and are simply drifting away. The "hey, this is great!" group is large, sure. But far from the majority.

Top Bottom