Ships Do you still use your Sidewinder for anything?

I have my original Sidewinder, since you don't get paid anything if you sell it, and recently started remotely engineering it with some low level mats I have plenty of: just the FSD and enhanced thrusters so far. I don't want to engineer anything else until I decide what I want to use it for, or if I'm even gonna use it. With engineered enhanced thrusters, it can boost 745ms, which isn't too shabby.

Aside from buying throwaway Sidewinders to fly to Shinrarta Dezhra and selling it as soon as you buy a new ship, do you still use a Sidewinder for anything? (I need some ideas!)

My original Sidewinder is still parked at the station where I picked up my free Eagle MK II.

It was a useful marker when I unlocked Professor Palin.

I do however have a fully tricked out A-rated and fully engineered little Chrome painted Sidewinder, the Gnat of Doom, which I occasionally take out for a joy ride or for scanning wakes when I'm low on Datamined Wake Exceptions.

do you still use a Sidewinder for anything? (I need some ideas!)

Constantly. Because it is so tiny I can fly around in wreckage filled USS and almost never come into contact with any wreckage so, it makes a great USS scavenger/materials collector. It also makes a great taxi, cheap to transport home after flying to Jameson Memorial to buy larger, more expensive ships. A-rated and heavily modified some new-b CMDRs tend to take her for granted, to their own detriment.

FJcre8n.jpg

Last edited:
During my recent exploration trip I stopped for a week in California Nebula, called for my engineered Sidey, paid like 3000 credits and had a blast in RES site. Enhanced thrusters and dual enforcer cannons :]

I fully G5 engineered mine, and keep it at Eravate to mess around from time to time remembering the early days. A couple others that keep similarly built sidewinders at Cleve. There were a few of us the other night doing sidewinder 1 vs 1 duels about 20 clicks outside Cleve hub. Tons of fun for no cost!

Last edited:
Fully engineered Sidewinder is a blast. It has one of the best flight characteristics in the game, in terms of pitch speed, acceleration, lateral thrusters, etc. PE engines do give it some major drift, some people prefer that though. Slap on some rails or enforcer cannons and you can kill a surprising number of things.

But once you see the HUD clip through the front panel of your cockpit, it's impossible to un-see.

Use mine for data delivery and the occasional black box pick up mission. And for scouting out systems before moving in the bigger ships (especially during CG's).

It's got a great view and flies like a charm.

Fully engineered Sidewinder is a blast. It has one of the best flight characteristics in the game, in terms of pitch speed, acceleration, lateral thrusters, etc. PE engines do give it some major drift, some people prefer that though. Slap on some rails or enforcer cannons and you can kill a surprising number of things.

But once you see the HUD clip through the front panel of your cockpit, it's impossible to un-see.

frag cannons are pretty good too.

I used it for running planetary scan missions. When you deploy SRV you get the idea that it is crazy small.

Last edited:
This always puzzled me. What makes you first Sidey that cheap in terms of rebuy and transfer? Because this is your first Sidey or because of having at least one loaned module inside?

I used a sidey just a few days ago at Omega (waypoint 2 for DW2). Bought it there at the station, went into Open and flew around looking for trouble. Had to look for a while before a "griefer" finally felt sorry enough for me and gifted me some led bullets in my hull and took me out of my misery. :D

Back in the bubble I have a sidey that's been engineered for speed. Just because. It's really gnarly to park though in FAOff. One touch on the controls, or actually just breathe on the throttle and it jumps.

Last edited:
I have my original sidewinder, plus another free sidewinder I obtained by buying a sidewinder and self-destructing and not choosing to get my rebuy. Since both have loan items (loan fuel tank), they are dirt cheap to ship anywhere in the bubble. A couple of grand tops. Despite having more than a billion space bucks in the bank, I still use them to cheaply move ships around the place.

Both are engineered with decent shields, armour, drives and FSD to make the bubble hopping more pleasant.

I take mine into resource extractions and nav points for a bit of fun.
Otherwise it's a runabout.

Called, Vespa ☺

I have my original Sidewinder, since you don't get paid anything if you sell it, and recently started remotely engineering it with some low level mats I have plenty of: just the FSD and enhanced thrusters so far. I don't want to engineer anything else until I decide what I want to use it for, or if I'm even gonna use it. With engineered enhanced thrusters, it can boost 745ms, which isn't too shabby.

Aside from buying throwaway Sidewinders to fly to Shinrarta Dezhra and selling it as soon as you buy a new ship, do you still use a Sidewinder for anything? (I need some ideas!)

Friendly Sidewinder PvP with friends :)
Because it is cheap in rebuy, makes fun and everybody is equal in outfitting options. Oh and it doesn't take ages but it's funny fast pewpew :D

Top Bottom