Do you think FDEV is going to announce the next DLC at gamescom?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If they don't announce the next DLC at gamescom I'll probably join the dark side. You all know how annoying I am as a white knight, but that's nothing compared to the powers I'll have when I am joining the evil guys. Prepare to see some discussions getting derailed pretty nasty! Brett should make sure to have a few replacement hamsters ready, otherwise the forum will break down completely. :)

Joking aside, I will be very disgruntled if there are no real news. For me that's their last chance to prove that they do care about their loyal customers, Kickstarter supporters and LEP owners.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still love the game (despite the flaws), but no news at gamescom would drastically change my view on the company and David Braben.

So that's kind of a PSA, you better announce something awesome or else... *shakes fist*

PS
(I am totally not saying this because I would look like a fool after telling everyone to wait until gamescom)

I certainly hope they do announce SOMETHING, preferably the DLC which is either atmo or space legs. Actually, anything will good just to shut up the LEP crowd, the game is dead crowd, the 'where is my pet project' crowd.

You never know, with all the fandom over NMS, maybe it did give FD that kick in the south pole they needed to pull their finger out and release whatever they have been working on.

Of course, whatever is said, there will be that small litter fraternity here who will call them liars lol

I have mixed feelings. Stuart kinda hyped me and I am hopeful for Gamescom :) However I am still sceptical. And it is not because FD doesn't have anything to announce, it just might mean they aren't ready yet.

I am trying to chill about all this really. I believe FD is working on stuff [tm] and that's good enough for me. But that might not be for others.

Said that, FD has tendency to be very, very silent and then - bum. So Gamescom reveal makes sense. However I am not gonna burn myself with expectation. It is also summer outside. I am gonna enjoy it while it lasts before worrying about next DLCs.

I'm patient. Elite will have its announcements and developments. If not - hey, I have literally hundreds of other games to play in the meantime - and I can always check in on Elite at a later time.

I certainly hope they do announce SOMETHING, preferably the DLC which is either atmo or space legs. Actually, anything will good just to shut up the LEP crowd, the game is dead crowd, the 'where is my pet project' crowd.

You never know, with all the fandom over NMS, maybe it did give FD that kick in the south pole they needed to pull their finger out and release whatever they have been working on.

Of course, whatever is said, there will be that small litter fraternity here who will call them liars lol

Nothing is going to shut up the 'the game is dead crowd'. Even if they would get everything they want (which doesn't work because they constantly contradict each other) they'll find something else to complain about. Like 'Now it's too late, people are no longer interested in your game. Should've been there 6 years ago'.

Nothing is going to shut up the 'the game is dead crowd'. Even if they would get everything they want (which doesn't work because they constantly contradict each other) they'll find something else to complain about. Like 'Now it's too late, people are no longer interested in your game. Should've been there 6 years ago'.

Too true, nothing would shut them up. I am convinced that if DB himself gave each of them $1,000,000 in cold hard cash they would be back on the forums complaining that he has put them into a higher tax bracket!

If they have something big in the works from a marketing point of view now would be a good time to reveal it,with NMS getting the attention with its atmospheric worlds,if ED could trump that it could make some big ripples in the industry.

If they have something big in the works from a marketing point of view now would be a good time to reveal it,with NMS getting the attention with its atmospheric worlds,if ED could trump that it could make some big ripples in the industry.

True. This might be good point to catch attention of former and existing players.

Possibly, but I wouldnt put my house on it. I suspect the main focus will be CHapter 4, but they might well announce some details for the DLC, it really depends on when it will be coming out.

Possibly, but I wouldnt put my house on it. I suspect the main focus will be CHapter 4, but they might well announce some details for the DLC, it really depends on when it will be coming out.

I think this might be case where they can have a bit of leave way and do announcement 'ED: Skies coming Q4" without any huge reveal. Only question are they ready to release in 2018?

That might be only reason that holds off reveal.

If plans didn't change 'premium content' should be released before the end of the year. 4 months seems like a reasonable timeframe and might even allow for preorders. Unless premium content refers to something really minor, like increased material storage or a second CMDR slot for 5€. Cockpit cats on the other hand can't get announced early enough.

I doubt we'll have atmospherics anytime soon, due to the complexity of modelling fluids and the way that FD want the game to be (semi-accurate), so I reckon the next paid DLC is spacelegs, which is less complex but just as time consuming given they need to model the interior of every ship in the game as well as space station interiors etc. else you wont have anything to do with said legs.

Overall I think FD need to focus on the QOL and bugfixing for the time being, although a general indication that one of the above are coming at a set date would be good, but with FD being quite quiet atm Im not sure how much we will hear from them which is a real shame.

I really doubt it'll be an expansion DLC reveal. More likely it's just the small 'pretty cool things' paid content that we know is scheduled for 2018. Looks likely to be a hype tide-over in the meantime. (And hey, it might not even be that, might just be Q4 sneak peaks. Although I'm sure they're aware this is a big update lull and they need to spike things up a bit).

We know past expansions have been flagged like 4-5 months prior to launch. I don't see them having the capacity to drop the full fat Q4 update and an 'all in one' expansion in quick succession. Seems really unlikely.

I've kinda dialled my expectations down to some kinda 2019 Q1/Q2 expansion release, with announcement riding on the back of the Beyond Q4 launch (or possibly at another expo, if they're announcing one of their other titles or whatever).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's all join the dark side. Jousting is a terrible sport anyway. Some kind of mass charge sounds a lot more fun ;)

I doubt we'll have atmospherics anytime soon, due to the complexity of modelling fluids and the way that FD want the game to be (semi-accurate), so I reckon the next paid DLC is spacelegs, which is less complex but just as time consuming given they need to model the interior of every ship in the game as well as space station interiors etc. else you wont have anything to do with said legs.

Overall I think FD need to focus on the QOL and bugfixing for the time being, although a general indication that one of the above are coming at a set date would be good, but with FD being quite quiet atm Im not sure how much we will hear from them which is a real shame.

I think the bigger problem for atmospheric landings is compelling gameplay rather than technical difficulties. If they just add atmospheric planets without readdressing the current activities that we can do on airless worlds a lot of people will be disappointed.

Deleted member 38366

D
IMHO we're still in maintenance mode and V3.2 is scheduled to be another "mini-Update" due to that.

While I tend to believe it's still too early, they might be somewhere in the concepting Phase already.
So in theory, that might just be enough to make some kind of announcement and have some early concept art to show off.

PS.
I'm not in the "where's the free stuff for LEP holders" boat though and have absolutely no expectations in that direction.
Atmospheric or Space Legs I'd rather deem "Major Update" stuff rather than DLC, realized maybe in V4.0 or V5.0.

If they don't announce the next DLC at gamescom I'll probably join the dark side. You all know how annoying I am as a white knight, but that's nothing compared to the powers I'll have when I am joining the evil guys. Prepare to see some discussions getting derailed pretty nasty! Brett should make sure to have a few replacement hamsters ready, otherwise the forum will break down completely. :)

PS
(I am totally not saying this because I would look like a fool after telling everyone to wait until gamescom)

I think they will announce something related to Gas Giants, Clouds/Storms (as teased some months ago), maybe some light atmosphere planets. I hope they introduce things to do there if they developed those things.

Q4 should already be a great update, why would you leave if there are no huge things announced? :)

I'm sure they will sooner or later, we have already been waiting for almost 4 years for something substantial and I think we are nearing some huge announcement.

Also, highly doubt that you will go to the dark side if they dont announce anything grandiose ;) You have already invested 4 years of interest, surely you can wait half a year more or so? :p

I feel that after Q4 they might be announcing something big, while giving small teasers in gamescom.

Joking aside, I will be very disgruntled if there are no real news. For me that's their last chance to prove that they do care about their loyal customers, Kickstarter supporters and LEP owners.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still love the game (despite the flaws), but no news at gamescom would drastically change my view on the company and David Braben.

So that's kind of a PSA, you better announce something awesome or else... *shakes fist*

PS

They might. They've been pretty clear that they plan on laying out future details of the game at Gamescom, but what those will be is anyone's guess. FDev has mentioned in a recent interview that more details for stuff being laid out post Beyond should be discussed at Gamescom, but plans change soo.... *shrug*

I think the bigger problem for atmospheric landings is compelling gameplay rather than technical difficulties. If they just add atmospheric planets without readdressing the current activities that we can do on airless worlds a lot of people will be disappointed.
And the problem is you are completely right about that too. If we dont include ELWs, WWs and planets with life as you say there wouldnt be that much to do on them. Maybe with the exploration update we may be able to survey planets and stuff by landing on them, and theres always surface mining but other than that, the problem of lack of compelling gameplay is present across the whole of Elite. I dont really land on planets at the moment because although I enjoy messing about in the srv, once Ive done that for a couple of hours every now and again I just go back to space for a while until I feel like going to a planet again.

The other thing is I cant really think off the top of my head what else they could put onto planets themselves, off the top of my head the most interesting things to do on planets would be to do with outposts and bases but that wont apply to the majority of planets. Its a tough one to solve for sure

I think they will announce something related to Gas Giants, Clouds/Storms (as teased some months ago), maybe some light atmosphere planets. I hope they introduce things to do there if they developed those things.

Q4 should already be a great update, why would you leave if there are no huge things announced? :)

I'm sure they will sooner or later, we have already been waiting for almost 4 years for something substantial and I think we are nearing some huge announcement.

Also, highly doubt that you will go to the dark side if they dont announce anything grandiose ;) You have already invested 4 years of interest, surely you can wait half a year more or so? :p

I feel that after Q4 they might be announcing something big, while giving small teasers in gamescom.

Gas giants for late 2018 sounds good and could be expanded with more planet types over 2019. Each update could cost between 10 and 15€.

I am not saying I would leave the game (in fact I said that I still love it ;)) but I would be pretty angry with FDEV. I can only hold off the haters for so long, and at some point it might be easier just to join them. :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom