Docking entry size

I just realized that all player owned ships in ED has to be manufactured to actually fit the docking station entry door? Unless they are planning external docking? :S

Yes, at least initially.

At some point DB mentioned the idea that just like some ships on Earth are designated Panamax (the biggest possible size that can still fit through the Panama Canal), the biggest ships in Elite would be shaped to fit the station slot. 'Coriolismax', I guess.

There is some talk about possible big 'executive control' ships in later expansions, maybe if they happen they could be external docking, but who knows...

possible ingame aspect here?

hi,

sorry for not contributing to your topic, but instead pointing out a potentially interesting idea: why can´t space stations (of different kinds) also have different sizes for their docking entrances?

that could lead to an interesting aspect of trade-tour-planning: "I just can´t dock there with my lakoon." or so.

Or is that too stupid of an idea?

Unless there's something to spot a dock restricted system before entering it, or an alternate way for big ships to achieve standard procedures like refuel and repair, I think it'd be a counterintuitive feature.

At launch, and for quite a while afterwards, the flyable ships are limited to those which can dock at a Coriolis station. Huge "executive control" ships will become flyable in a later expansion.

Unless there's something to spot a dock restricted system before entering it, or an alternate way for big ships to achieve standard procedures like refuel and repair, I think it'd be a counterintuitive feature.

That's easy to do, just have stations classed by what ships they can support, and stick that information on system maps so we can examine them before deciding to go there.

It would add some extra complexity to doing trading runs... do I take my huge freighter to system A, where I can dock but which offers smaller margins, or a smaller ship to system B which offers larger margins but of course, I'd be trading in smaller volume...

There is also possibility that with larger ships they are simply going to introduce parking gantries - they mentioned that not all stations should be composed of a single connected structure. So, non-rotational structures hanging in space around stations where large ships can connect to overall infrastructure, get refueled, trade, etc. You could maybe even then take a small shuttle over to the station proper - I assume big ships are probably going to come after walking in stations or even planetary landings.

What really baffles me is why one slot when you could have seperate entrance and exit slots?

It's a source of boundless space-rage, and the occasional squished fighter, so perhaps they keep it that way for game play reasons, if not common sense. Also, of course, it's true to the original game.

You could maybe even then take a small shuttle over to the station proper
Yes, was think about this too. Coupled with FPS expansion it could be great. Leaving my mothership unguarded while I'm going in station or down to a planet will make me shivers :)

... why can´t space stations (of different kinds) also have different sizes for their docking entrances?...

Already planned :D

What really baffles me is why one slot when you could have seperate entrance and exit slots?

Equal parts gameplay and history, I suspect.

We have also only seen two types of station, and there are many.
Some of the unseen ones may have multiple docking ports, seperate in/out slots, or even no slots at all (external pads).

Even Aulin's interior is placeholder, so expect the Orbis stations to change with later releases.

I just realized that all player owned ships in ED has to be manufactured to actually fit the docking station entry door? Unless they are planning external docking? :S

David has mentioned previously that there will be external docking introduced into the game for those ships that are just too big to dock with a regular sized space station. I don't think we'll see this tomorrow though.

For large mother ships maybe we can also dock by flying close to the station and send a small ship from the mothership to transfer the goods, if your in a hurry as big ships might take time to dock.

For large mother ships maybe we can also dock by flying close to the station and send a small ship from the mothership to transfer the goods, if your in a hurry as big ships might take time to dock.

Would bigger ship like that be freighters though? I seem to think anything beyond a Lakon 9 as most likely a specialty ship, military or otherwise. In which case, you're picking up people, supplies, and fuel, so an external docking port and/or transfer shuttles should work okay.

I haven't tried docking in the game yet (upcoming beta player) and all I have to go on is what I've seen in videos, but assuming all space stations have the same internal cylinder and rotation we've seen, won't multiple openings require off-center placement? The current one is relatively easy to hit, as we just need to hit center and then roll to get out.
To hit a slot away from center we would have to use thrusters AND roll, which I think could be quite tricky.

Of course if the cylinder went all the way through, it would not be a problem :)

Last edited:
The biggest possible ship, as things stand, would be as wide and tall as the slot and as long as the pad. A bit like a flying DVD box set.

You could definitely have capital ships that can't dock and can only be repaired in the orbiting ship yards that built them. Then you'd get a 'hunt the Bismark' dynamic where they get chased back to the yard once enough opposition teams up and smells blood.

You could definitely have capital ships that can't dock and can only be repaired in the orbiting ship yards that built them. Then you'd get a 'hunt the Bismark' dynamic where they get chased back to the yard once enough opposition teams up and smells blood.

Now that would be cool.

Top Bottom