Docking for idiots like me

Okay. Full disclosure, i have nothing against the DC and still use it for pure convenience. What is below is a way for fumbly pilots like me to treat it as a convenience instead of necessity. Using a Coriolis station as an example.

-drop out of SC as usual. The slot is on the end with the blinking WHITE lights
-Line up on the mailslot
-request landing clearance
-slow to 98 or 99 just outside slot. Glide through.
-spot your numbered pad. If you don’t see it immediately, it’s probably on the first ‘ring’ directly inside the slot
-deploy landing gear. Your ship will slow to fifty m/s (ish)
-aim at the pad number hologram above your pad
-fly forward until the hologram starts to fade. Kill the throttle. The hologram should disappear just as your ship stops. The landing assist minigame thinger may or may not appear at this point; depends on your angle.
-down thrust until you’re on or just above the pad. If you’re not dead center, you’ll be very close.

The only ships i’ve seen that this doesn’t really work with are those with cockpits moved rearward (Anaconda, Corvette); you’ll end up too far forward.

Or just use the DC and enjoy your coffee. That’s good too.

spot your numbered pad. If you don’t see it immediately, it’s probably on the first ‘ring’ directly inside the slot
As soon as you clear the mailslot and enter atmosphere check the targeting circle next to the radar - the white dot now shows the position of your numbered landing pad relative to your ship.

Also your going about 200m/s to slow for all of these manoeuvres.

Last edited:
Did not know that...

Honestly, this is why I love this game. 700 hours in and i’m still learning things. Thank you Ultra!

Top Bottom