General / Off-Topic Doctor Who The Hell Let You Have A Pen And Write This Rubbish?

Avago Earo

Banned
Summary of New Years Day's episode:

Discussion between young maybe-could-be-couple about whether a kiss was a sexy one or a matey one. Male had to wait for approval either way. Biological Dalek form stuck to wall, then disappears but the doc tells everyone to be on the alert this time, before a dna or whatever reading has been gotten. Scene about absent fathers. Woman driving a car with Dalek body stuck to her back (previous scene; awful Dalek voice about puppetry) Oh yeah, and Prior to that, the Dalek form wants the girl to help it hack into the internet (think they've already done that). Terrible overdub of Dalek voice in car scene with mediocre 'hard rock' music. She gets stopped for speeding and says to the traffic cop #You are an enemy of the Daleks' Then se cops feet wiggling out of the car and the cop's assistand approaches her, sees tentacles comoing out of the protagonists shoulders and screams. Next scene the Dalek slave woman is driving the police car with the 'hammer house of horror' style voice, saying 'You are a useful soldier' (cue more 'hard rock' music)/ Next scene; Cafe; Son and absent Father. The Dad is trying to sell the cafe owner a microwave oven (absent father's must also be thieves, right?) Very good and well acted scene in my opinion, between a Son and his absent Dad, but it doesn't belong in Doctor Who; it's not Wuthering Heights. This close up heart scene goes on for too long and has nothing to do with Daleks. Cut to scene of the Tardis materialising. Then it chops from Trdis scene and being somewhere else with the character asking what kiss it meant in the first scene mentioning 'The Order Of The Custodians' (I know, I'm waiting for a 'Patriarchy' reference too, be patient; I'm sure it will come). Back to the Tardis and som 'bla bla' and use of the word 'triangulation'. Then more rubbish that doesn't add up and the doc has a microphone and is saying to the Dalek 'possesd' (for want of a better word) 'I am your conscience', then says 'I know you're a refugee from the planet Skaro' Then there's a scene that would best suit a kindergarten version of The Exorcist' with the doc being Father Karras. Woman in cop car shhpts stuff with Dalek gun in her hand. Doc calls UNIT. But UNIT's operations 'have been suspended, pending review' because of 'all UNIT operations were put on hold following financial disputes and subsequent funding withdrawals by the UK's major international partners' Followed by dooming music and the doc announcing 'We're on our own' BBC POLITICAL AGENDA RIGHT THERE, INJECTING RECENT VOTES INTO DOCTOR WHO. Next scene (still (apart from the stuck to the back squid thing) no sign of the Daleks), is Graham and the absent Dad together (no background about how that happened). Heart to heart ensues and the usal stuff about keeping old trinkets. Still no Daleks. Cuts to Dalek cop woman on a farm and she shoots the farmer. Then the Dalek girl takes some big cogs and starts doing some iron mongery [enter dramatic music] Stupid hammer house dracula style voice tells her to continue to work because 'you are weakening' but she fights back by saying 'no, you are' and throws herself against a pallet. Dalek voice proests 'bl;a bal abla.... you cannot escape me etc etc..' Jumps to scene of 'Team Tardis' running through a corn field. Doc scans unconscious farmer with sonic screwdriver and says 'All the signs of a Dalek weapon' Doc and Team Tardis AKA Grange Hill Byker Grove follow the doc. Dalek possesed woman is on the floor whimpering. She apologises, but the doctor tells her 'you faught and you won' (without any reference) doc decides to go off on her own to confront the Dalek. She finds it and it's in a knackered casing made from bits an peices (reference is made to explain the earlier iron monger scene). At last it starts kicking off a bit. The Dalek, Knackered is now a Dalek, and it seems that The Doctor is starting to take shape/ Single battered Dalek takes on a load of soldiers. That's more like it! Sadly, the fun ends there. Back in the Tardis, the microwave (the absent father is now in the Tardis with no explanation as to why)is commissioned for - I dunno, then the doc looks at the console and says she knows where the Dalek is going (back to current doctor who form, then). Internet goes down cos Dalek and radio telescopes (whatever), but a Netflix advert gets slipped in (so don't pay your licence) Tardis turns up, Dalek shoots and the doc repeats that scene from 'The Parting Of The Ways'; pretty much a blue print. doc then fires the sonic screwdriver, slides on the floor and melts the Dalek with the microwave oven circuit. doc slips in the phrase #extended fam' (yawn). Aaron's 'absent' father's body gets taken over by Dalek being (that somehow survived being melted). The doc then takes the Tardis to a supernova cos reasons and the Dalek is still clinging to Aaron's Dad's back, EXACTLY like the scene in Alien. Aaron tells his Dad he loves him, but by now i think the audience were already mouthing the predictable conclusion just to get to the ending credits and move on. Father and son hold on to each other at the (open) Tardis door and the Dalek body lets go and gets sucked into the void. And that was it.

Score 0/10Chibnall: People aren't stupid and don't need moral injections. You have ruined an entertaining show. It will probably never recover. That's your legacy. This is how it can be done:

[video=youtube_share;6ThpkjDgdvY]https://youtu.be/6ThpkjDgdvY[/video]

Dire wasn't it. They need to ditch Chibnall and keep him a long, long way away from any SciFi which he is obviously incapable of handling.

Goose4291

Banned
It was nearly as terrible as that 'historical lesson teaching episode' in India where it was a 'lovely happy utopia, with totally no caste system, thugee killings or religious tension' until the damned British turned up.

Jodies great but the writing has been god awful this season.

Last edited:
That was quite something. The new year "special"

Take the Doctor's most legendary foe and turn it into a one hour bland fest.

I thought maybe they were teeing it up for a two parter - but it seems not - just suck it out the airlock at the end with a by the numbers estranged father son scene.

Just comparing it to that 4 minute clip - Chibnal seems completely wrong for this gig.

Too many companions too - how are they suppoed to develop anything in a one hour spot with so many and the doctor - plus other episodal characters?

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
Interesting to see the opinions on this one. This was the first of the latest Doctor Who episodes I actually enjoyed, even if it was (or maybe because it was) just a rehash of 'Dalek' from the Eccleston series. I like Whittaker as the Doctor but like Capaldi before her she's working with some not ideal scripts. Moffat I found annoying and a bit egotistical, the current series I've just found...well rather dull.

The biggest crimes I see this series are the non-nonsensical morality stories: "No don't you dare shoot that spider to kill it instantly! It's much better to slowly let it suffocate from it's own weight and trap all it's friends in a room they can't possibly escape from so they die from starvation and fear!"

I think the biggest issue with Dr Who is its getting bit samey. Time for another long break maybe, I recently binged the new stuff (David Tennant was best) and the most recent things are all just a bit meh like they're going through the motions, similar to Red Dwarf after either Grant or Naylor left.

They need to make more use of the Doctor being female in this regenration, I was hoping it would add a bit of variety/new direction. It feels tired.

I think the biggest issue with Dr Who is its getting bit samey. Time for another long break maybe, I recently binged the new stuff (David Tennant was best) and the most recent things are all just a bit meh like they're going through the motions, similar to Red Dwarf after either Grant or Naylor left.

They need to make more use of the Doctor being female in this regenration, I was hoping it would add a bit of variety/new direction. It feels tired.

They need to longer story arcs to make it more interesing. There is only so much you can do in such a small amount of time. I would much prefer to have 9 episodes with 3 episodes per story arc and then maybe have a 10th episode that connects them all some how. It is getting a bit stale, so they really need change something.

They need to look at the success of Stranger Things. A story per episode isn't long enough to create an interesting story. Everything is done at breakneck speed with very little time for character development.

As it happens I also found the new years episode to be the best of the bunch, but to be honest, it wasn't that difficult though.

I gave up on DW after three or four episodes of the current season. It's just... childish and boring with some PC agenda sprinkled on top. It didn't even cross my mind to watch the Christmas special.

Last edited:
They need to longer story arcs to make it more interesing. There is only so much you can do in such a small amount of time. I would much prefer to have 9 episodes with 3 episodes per story arc and then maybe have a 10th episode that connects them all some how. It is getting a bit stale, so they really need change something.

They need to look at the success of Stranger Things. A story per episode isn't long enough to create an interesting story. Everything is done at breakneck speed with very little time for character development.

As it happens I also found the new years episode to be the best of the bunch, but to be honest, it wasn't that difficult though.

I've been meaning to give stranger things a bash, thats enough of a recomendation for me.

That was quite something. The new year "special"

IMHO that wasn't even a "special" that was a regular episode which they slapped a "New Years Special" tag on.
To be frank the last season with the Chinball and Whittaker as The Doctor was the same level bad as the last Dr. Who season with Sylvester McCoy back then.
There is nothing wrong with a female doctor but at least The Beeb could have chosen some actress who actually can act like Sophie Okonedo, Jane Horrocks or Zawe Ashton, but Jodie Whittaker, nope that doesn't work

I 'religiously' gave up Dr.Who sometime after the Tom Baker era.

I 'totally' gave up Dr.Who during the reboot years (Tennant?). It was like TV for i-phone users or something? Never looked back and have fond memories of real Darleks (that could not navigate a stair), black and white TV shows and very long scarf's ;)

I 'totally' gave up Dr.Who during the reboot years (Tennant?). It was like TV for i-phone users or something? Never looked back and have fond memories of real Darleks (that could not navigate a stair), black and white TV shows and very long scarf's ;)

The cybermen were scarier, I would only watch them armed with a rubber sucker dart gun from behind the sofa.

Then trek riecyled them as the borg and they were rubbish.

Ah yes, The Caves of Androzani where Davison regenerated into Baker.
Tbh, I found the Cybermen and the Ice Warriors pretty scary too. Childhood memories. (Still find Sarah Jane the best companion of all tho)

Top Bottom