General / Off-Topic Doctor Who The Hell Let You Have A Pen And Write This Rubbish?

I've tried to enjoy the last season, but for the most part couldn't. I was keen to see how a female Doctor would work out, and it could have worked, but the plots were, to put it bluntly, terrible. Ok, i know, its Doctor Who, the plots are often bad, but they are usually fun as well. For the most part, these plots were just dire.

I'm willing to cut Jody some slack, her first season and sometimes it takes a season for a new Doctor to hit their stride and find their.... idiom! I have to place the blame at the feet of Chibnall for this and can only hope he is gone for the next season.

IMHO, Matt Smith nailed the role in the first 30 seconds.

He acted like he was hitting the bottle, not the nail. Not his fault, that's how they wrote him. I never realized he could actually do serious acting until I saw him in some other movies / shows.

I turned in my "true fan" card when the writers turned the sonic screwdriver into Harry Potter's magic wand. Loved Capaldi though, in case it wasn't obvious.

He acted like he was hitting the bottle, not the nail. Not his fault, that's how they wrote him. I never realized he could actually do serious acting until I saw him in some other movies / shows.

I turned in my "true fan" card when the writers turned the sonic screwdriver into Harry Potter's magic wand. Loved Capaldi though, in case it wasn't obvious.

TBH It started going downhill during Tom Baker's tenure, and apart from the odd moment, it's not really picked up much since.
Still, watching Hartnell right now in The Daleks (the second story from 1963), as those lovely Twitch Presents people are streaming...

IMHO, Matt Smith nailed the role in the first 30 seconds.

I feel the same way about Mat Smith's Doctor as I do about Jodie Whittaker's. They both came out of the trap at a hell of a lick and looked like they were going to be good runners. Neither did well over the full length of the series though.

The fact that they could do well with their first episode shows that the talent is there; in the acting, directing, and scriptwriting. I'll keep watching on the off chance that this Dalek episode was a stumble and there might be better stories in the next season.

Capaldi's doctor fits the traditional profile and if he was written by Terry Nation, we probably would have seen Tom Baker level episodes of greatness.

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
To be honest I don't think any of the actors have been bad in the role (Seriously, Whittaker is great in Broadchurch), it's just that the writing has gone down hill. Maybe now that the series has become more well known outside of the UK nerd scene it's more of a challenge to write as they want to ensure it has mass appeal. Or maybe that's because I'm still bitter we didn't see more of the "classic" multi-coloured Dalek's they brought back for Smith because the toys didn't sell well. They were set up to have lore and everything!

They need to thin out the companions, its all getting a bit scooby doo.

Have a team of Gallifreyan time commandos accidentally splash them with friendly fire whilst thinning out the Daleks numbers in some random battle to gain an advantage a few centuries later, then commandeer the Tardis and arrest the Doctor for desertion.

Whatever you think of Jodie's Dr., at least she's not Matt Smith, Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy... WORST ever

Whatever you think of Jodie's Dr., at least she's not Matt Smith, Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy... WORST ever

I'm actually not sure about this comparison. There is a difference between a decent actor trying to act a badly written script and a bad actor not even trying to act a non-existent script.
Matt Smith for example at least has some charisma. Jodie has a charisma of a 10y/o at McDonalds screaming they want an ice cream.

Last edited:

I think she makes a really good doctor, the story lines are just really generic and dull so the actors can't save it. I just watched the one with the killer moths and a rubber frog, truly dreadful I mean really bad.

I'll have you know Colin Baker had Jellybabies.

He also had Leela, but I'm thinking the PC agenda that's ruined this once great show AND detracts from the fragrant Ms Whittakers undoubted acting skills suits some people fine.....[heart]

I'll have you know Colin Baker had Jellybabies.

He also had Leela, but I'm thinking the PC agenda that's ruined this once great show AND detracts from the fragrant Ms Whittakers undoubted acting skills suits some people fine.....[heart]

That was Tom Baker (#4), you're thinking of... the last of the good ones. Colin Baker was Dr #6.
And TBH, the so called PC agenda you're denigrating is a refreshing change from the recent gung ho madness...

Last edited:
Capaldi's doctor fits the traditional profile and if he was written by Terry Nation, we probably would have seen Tom Baker level episodes of greatness.

I actually enjoyed "Judo Fu" Doctor (terrible I can't remember his name right now, right before Baker). He was kinda grumpy, too, and he knew martial arts! Too bad regeneration apparently erases useful skills like that.

My only complaint of that run was he was stuck on earth for so long. But then again, he had a cool car!

Top Bottom