General / Off-Topic Doctor Who The Hell Let You Have A Pen And Write This Rubbish?

I actually enjoyed "Judo Fu" Doctor (terrible I can't remember his name right now, right before Baker). He was kinda grumpy, too, and he knew martial arts! Too bad regeneration apparently erases useful skills like that.

My only complaint of that run was he was stuck on earth for so long. But then again, he had a cool car!

Jon Pertwee

Jon Pertwee

Ah yes, Worzel Gummidge had indeed been a Dr.Who. I much preferred him as the Doctor in truth.

Here is my main issue with 'New' Doctor Who, and it is exactly the same issue i have with 'New' Star Trek and 'New' Star Wars (vs their older generation of films/series etc) and 99% of all the 'art' we create for our entertainment these days.

Pretty much EVERYTHING since the 1980's in the realm of entertainment has become either too safe, too dark (for the sake of it, trying to add gravitas to make up for poor writing/directing), too weak, and basically too poorly crafted to stand the test of time (like no-one is going to be talking about New trek or Star Wars or most of current day media in 20-30 years time, accept as a cautionary tale).

We (the royal we) have just become bad at creative writing and being able to make good (measurably 'good' vs what we can compare it against) entertainment. Sure we have nailed making the odd super profitable entertainment show, in part to the bar being so low that if you score that hit you find gold (even if the show is still measurably worse than stuff that went before, just because the capitalisation of the medium can lead to the money pot and the audience numbers larger (there are more of us viewing it vs 30 years ago)).

The nice thing about TV in the uk before recent times was that the BBC did push up the standard, before it 'fell' and now follows the lowest common denominator like everyone else (dancing with the stars etc). There is no custodian for our culture in entertainment now when the bar is set so low and the priority is to make as much cash as possible over all other concerns. Everything is just dumbed down to ground zero level.

So that is why i pretty much gave up on most of the franchises i loved growing up, they just don't do the same things for the same reasons with the same intentions they had the space to do back in the day.

Star Trek RIP, Star Wars RIP, Dr.Who RIP etc

It's not about the actors (male/female/good or weak) as much as the actual process of entertainment creation. You can be the best actor in the world and if all you got is swill to play with, your 'role' is going to stink as much as the rest of us pigs wallowing around in the filth. We are all to blame for it really, we give them the views which gives them the justification to carry on churning out junk.

There are occasionally odd exceptions to this rule (stuff like The Orvil), but they are super rare and growing more rare.

Last edited:
Ah yes, Worzel Gummidge had indeed been a Dr.Who. I much preferred him as the Doctor in truth.

Here is my main issue with 'New' Doctor Who, and it is exactly the same issue i have with 'New' Star Trek and 'New' Star Wars (vs their older generation of films/series etc) and 99% of all the 'art' we create for our entertainment these days.

Pretty much EVERYTHING since the 1980's in the realm of entertainment has become either too safe, too dark (for the sake of it, trying to add gravitas to make up for poor writing/directing), too weak, and basically too poorly crafted to stand the test of time (like no-one is going to be talking about New trek or Star Wars or most of current day media in 20-30 years time, accept as a cautionary tale).

We (the royal we) have just become bad at creative writing and being able to make good (measurably 'good' vs what we can compare it against) entertainment. Sure we have nailed making the odd super profitable entertainment show, in part to the bar being so low that if you score that hit you find gold (even if the show is still measurably worse than stuff that went before, just because the capitalisation of the medium can lead to the money pot and the audience numbers larger (there are more of us viewing it vs 30 years ago)).

The nice thing about TV in the uk before recent times was that the BBC did push up the standard, before it 'fell' and now follows the lowest common denominator like everyone else (dancing with the stars etc). There is no custodian for our culture in entertainment now when the bar is set so low and the priority is to make as much cash as possible over all other concerns. Everything is just dumbed down to ground zero level.

So that is why i pretty much gave up on most of the franchises i loved growing up, they just don't do the same things for the same reasons with the same intentions they had the space to do back in the day.

It's not about the actors (male/female/good or weak) as much as the actual process of entertainment creation. You can be the best actor in the world and if all you got is swill to play with, your 'role' is going to stink as much as the rest of us pigs wallowing around in the filth. We are all to blame for it really, we give them the views which gives them the justification to carry on churning out junk.

There are occasionally odd exceptions to this rule (stuff like The Orvil), but they are super rare and growing more rare.

I don't disagree, but in my opinion it's just down to the lack of originality. Nearly all the best new stories (be it Who, Trek, Star Wars or whatever) are rehashes of old stories, returning fan-favourite baddies who've long been defeated, or other cut and paste stuff... Of course, if they try something new, the fans are all "not canon", or "they changed it"...
It seems we don't want anything new, just upgrade the graphics and sfx, and the sheep will cheer.

I try to avoid the cliché of things were better when but you definitely have a point. We have an odd blend right now of trying not to offend anyone whilst simultaneously torture prawn (swear filter) like saw is one of the most popular film genre's.

Last edited:
I don't disagree, but in my opinion it's just down to the lack of originality. Nearly all the best new stories (be it Who, Trek, Star Wars or whatever) are rehashes of old stories, returning fan-favourite baddies who've long been defeated, or other cut and paste stuff...

Damn straight. It's just another reboot and hasnb't been that great really.

Goose4291

Banned
I try to avoid the cliché of things were better when but you definitely have a point. We have an odd blend right now of trying not to offend anyone whilst simultaneously torture prawn (swear filter) like saw is one of the most popular film genre's.

Plus, telly featuring chaps with awesome taches decked out in DPM firing SLRs into the monster of the week are always good fun to watch.

tumblr_nxgsbiplGh1r1u2w8o1_250.gif

Last edited:
I haven't sum up the courage to watch the new seasons. But from reading online from reliable people who had the same views as previous seasons and episodes as me, this season has been rubbish. Even the trailers haven't been inspiring to me.

Now I agree doctor who needs a big change, personally I think going female was just slap lipstick on the show, it might it slightly prettier and get a few new fans but they still going to disappear once the lipstick wears off, as according to the ratings they did for the final.

Personally I say bring back the time lords, have them impose a partner on the doctor, to cause some fiction in the TARDIS.
Introduce a alien companion
Have some new long term enemies in the show that the doctor have to slowly uncover and they have nothing to with the Timelords because that would just be unoriginal.
Ban the doctor from earth for a whole season or several, say someone put some sort of field around it that prevent any time travel there.
Bring some consistency to the show and it timeline. It rediculous that humans never remember aliens. it no longer a in joke it just plain stupid.
Make Unit great again.
bring back torchwood
give the tardis more story time, she just doesn't get enough
hire some science fiction writers, base on the reviews I have read. Hiring stage writers and writers from eastenders or historic dramas isn't working. Let go to canada and america,invite the writers of starget, stranger things, travellers, The expanse to have a go, proper science fiction writers to write proper science fiction stories. An those writers and show runners can actually deliver yearly seasons.

I don't disagree, but in my opinion it's just down to the lack of originality. Nearly all the best new stories (be it Who, Trek, Star Wars or whatever) are rehashes of old stories, returning fan-favourite baddies who've long been defeated, or other cut and paste stuff... Of course, if they try something new, the fans are all "not canon", or "they changed it"...
It seems we don't want anything new, just upgrade the graphics and sfx, and the sheep will cheer.

I don't think that true. The problem is new for producers change often means changing the tone of a show (star trek from bright optimistic future to a violent, dark an desperate future of STD and the new films), designs of aliens and design language for alien ships are change for no reasons, Klingon from STNG era still look good and convincing in today's world on fan made production budgets, they didn't need updating and yet they did in JJ Abrams universe and Star trek discovery.

If they wanted more alien looking aliens as STD producers claim they did then come up with a new alien race.

In fact what producers are often giving their audience is a simple sfx upgrade, through in my opinion STD was a massive SFX downgrade. One thing I love about star trek was looking at the ships but the ships in STD were more often than not just blurs across our screens hidden by lens flares.

Instead of them finding a new way of looking at the same universe. For example how about a star trek show base on a non federation ship or a show about a bunch of free lance archeologists having to explore extinct alien races but without the resources a flag ship or following the president of the federation around and seeing the politics of the federation at play.

I think people welcome change, they would love new aliens but the producers, writers and studio execs keep playing it safe an returning to the same aliens time and again. In doctor who that the same old daleks, cybermen. In star trek they just seem stuck on romulans and Klingons all the time and in the films the only story they ever seem to come up with today is Kirk vs bad guy or their idea for the picard show is Picard vs bad guy.

Keep the universe the same, give us a new view into that universe.

Last edited:

I disagree with that,. The expanse isn't to safe or to dark, it just right. Same with travellers and many shows.

An I think the expanse will be remembered for a long time.

Plus, telly featuring chaps with awesome taches decked out in DPM firing SLRs into the monster of the week are always good fun to watch.

Definitely, in the new years special I wasn't bothered by the British army commander saying they'd surrounded the enemy whilst they all stood in "exposed blob kill us all now" formation hemmed in between two vehicles on an airfield with all other angles utterly uncovered.

Their trousers being incorrectly pressed and the lack of well trimmed facial hair however was frankly disgusting.

I disagree with that,. The expanse isn't to safe or to dark, it just right. Same with travellers and many shows.

An I think the expanse will be remembered for a long time.

The Expanse was part of the rare exceptions to the rule (i just forgot it's name unlike the Orvil), and i look forward to getting it on a DVD (probably Blue-ray in fact) box-set in the next half decade or so (as i don't do paid-for tv channel specific stuff).

But the overall point i will stand behind, we are just mostly rubbish at making good entertainment these days, too many production factors pulling scripts apart etc. Red letter media talk often about the issue that leads to mostly incomprehensible scripts these days and i tend to agree with much of their take on TV/film etc. Put it this way would a great british TV series like Space 1999 or Blakes 7 be able to get made these days? 100% no way, which is to the detriment of viewers 'education' and experience.

Then you end up sometime in the near future in an endless loop of only being able to make throw-away entertainment of no value as that is what everyone has become conditioned to expect etc.

Luckily we can still get a fluke like the Orvil and The Expanse, but that is going to just become more rare in our dash to the 'bottom' for ratings.

I like the added diversity, but the writing was poor, and Chibnall doesn't seem to do humour at all - I think it was the xmas one they start off talking about the fun times they've been having - which we don't see.

Never been a fan of the single-episode format they've had since the reboot - no cliffhangers :( I was kinda hoping that someone who wrote Broadchrurch would bring it back to longer stories / arcs, but all that is happening is we get yanked out of what story there is for personal narrative scenes, and the abrupt changes of pace stand out like a sore thumb. Hopefully having 2019 off will give them time to reflect and come back with some new ideas. But less frogs.

Rosa and Demons of the Punjab are the only episodes that have really stood out as something a bit special for me.

Bring back [insert show runner of choice].

I think the problem is that both Moffat and RTD are genuinely gifted writers (albeit in very different ways) and it's maybe unfair to expect to find somebody else of that calibre/experience who also knows and loves Doctor Who.

Top Bottom