Does anyone else think AFMU is not "required" for Exploration???

Just one more thought. If you're a safe driver, and have never been in a car accident, it should be perfectly safe to remove the seat belts and air bags, right? ;) After all, they just get in the way. :D Same deal with fire extinguishers. o_O
Wait, we have seat belts and air bags in ED? Are they optional modules? And even if we do, an AMFU seems more akin to keeping a trunk full of tools and spare parts, which my grandparents (who owned an auto parts store back in their day) always used to do when going on long trips. I still wouldn't call this a "requirement" for traveling unless you're a neutron star surfer (which neither the OP or I am).

I find it funny that people complain that exploration isn't dangerous enough, yet they equip a shield and multiple AMFUs. One of the reasons I don't equip these* is because I love the extra challenge it adds to exploration gameplay. I've yet to die, and if I do, I'll go in a blaze of glory!

* If I have the room, I equip one AMFU, because why not?

All that's required for exploration is a D-scanner, and that's now built in. DSS? Optional, as it's only required for mapping, but so, highly recommended. Fuel scoop? Optional, but highly recommended. SRV? Optional, but highly recommended. And so on.

Internal slots are no longer scarce across all ships, so the cost of an AFM is very low - basically, just opportunity cost.

Wait, we have seat belts and air bags in ED? Are they optional modules? And even if we do, an AMFU seems more akin to keeping a trunk full of tools and spare parts, which my grandparents (who owned an auto parts store back in their day) always used to do when going on long trips. I still wouldn't call this a "requirement" for traveling unless you're a neutron star surfer (which neither the OP or I am).

I find it funny that people complain that exploration isn't dangerous enough, yet they equip a shield and multiple AMFUs. One of the reasons I don't equip these* is because I love the extra challenge it adds to exploration gameplay. I've yet to die, and if I do, I'll go in a blaze of glory!

* If I have the room, I equip one AMFU, because why not?
The extra challenge in not falling asleep while in witch'space!?
Or the extra challenge in not to forget to switch to solo when back in the bubble ;)

I think there still isn't any, but you are right, it would be nice if there is a challenge which make the gadgets we have necessary.
At least then this discussion wouldn't be that ridiculous :)

an AMFU seems more akin to keeping a trunk full of tools and spare parts, which my grandparents (who owned an auto parts store back in their day) always used to do when going on long trips. I still wouldn't call this a "requirement" for traveling unless you're a neutron star surfer (which neither the OP or I am).

Very few people here are actually saying it's a requirement. But like a parachute or fire extinguisher, you don't need it until you do. Traveling without is fine, of course, as long as you're OK with the consequences if something unexpected* happens to you.

* Unexpected, in my case, is usually something along the lines of Feline or Windows 10 interference. :)

It is not needed but since it adds no weight or power draw, go ahead and add one to that empty slot on your ship. Most exploration ships have plenty of left over module space anyway so why not? Chances are you'll never need it, but if ever you do it can save your ship. I find they're much more useful on anti-thargoid ships and combat - for sticking around longer when you take a beating.

I went to SAG A* and back without one. 100% hull and modules the entire way, except for my FSD which took a beating from all the neutron boosting I did. Would have been nice to have an AFMU to repair my malfunctioning FSD. I didn't really need it though as I just rebooted my ship and it repaired the FSD enough to be operational again. Then jumped the remaining 12kly back to the bubble.

The extra challenge in not falling asleep while in witch'space!?
Or the extra challenge in not to forget to switch to solo when back in the bubble ;)

I think there still isn't any, but you are right, it would be nice if there is a challenge which make the gadgets we have necessary.
At least then this discussion wouldn't be that ridiculous :)

In the "old days" with 30ly jump range, no AMFU and the danger of popping out between close stars exploring at least had some edge to it, but sadly it's become..."ordinary."

As I said we do get people complaining that exploring is boring, but if they made it even mildly dangerous we would get people complaining about that as well.....I like a bit of challenge in my games sometimes, but not so much it's impossible, I'm sure there must be a middle ground somewhere that would satisfy me and annoy everyone else, that would be ideal 🍻

You know I still make the odd mistake.
I'll have a bad angle on a scoop.
I've got too close to rings.
I've even ran to fast into a planet I wanted to map.
Then you have the rare close stars that can eff you up into a bad move.
It's there. It all happens
I've seen it all.
I'm convinced I was a victim of a bug a few times.
overall look guys:
I've been out for 18 months and my PP is at 70%
but my AMFU's have helped a lot

If you use neutrons - even from time to time - they are mandatory.

Then - even master pilot screws up sometimes, so I'd say take at least one. And don't forget repair limpet and at least size 2 cargo rack ...
If you are out exploring for long time, they are handy for fixing some screw-ups.
Plus SRV and/or mining laser to replenish synthesis materials.

Or don't take that for additional thrill :p

Lestat

Banned
Ya, I feel they dumb down Exploration to the point we have no risks. I have not used my AFMU in a long time.

If you have a AFMU, you'll not need it and if you don't have one, you'll need it.

On the upside, for Explorers, AFMU's don't weight anything (just like Fuel Scoops).

No, but you do have to watch the power draw if you haven't turned them off. I have 2 for that reason being they don't weigh much of anything and I do do Neutron Jumps when ever I have the ability too.

My only thing is I do need to have one of them turned off or else it overloads my power. So people just need to be aware of that if they are near max power capacity and want to add some AMFU's and didn't know about disabling them when not using them...

It depends, for a quick trip to colonia, non.

To take a break from the bubble to beagle and back , 1

for some where out there for acouple of months , 2

and moving further to andromeda , the whole kitchen sink leaving the oven on

Just one more thought. If you're a safe driver, and have never been in a car accident, it should be perfectly safe to remove the seat belts and air bags, right? ;) After all, they just get in the way. :D Same deal with fire extinguishers. o_O

I dont think the AMFU is an analogue for seat belts or air bags
It doesn't prevent damage but allow one to repair it after the fact.

In my present situation an AMFU would certainly have utility

Screenshot-3155.png
But it would come at the cost of leaving behind the Research Limpet controller, and I don't know what I could possibly come across I can use the research limpets on so from my point of view, the Research limpet controller is more essential than the AFMU, as I can endure without the AFMU, but either have the Research Limpet controller or I don't.

Id rather be an explorer that can sample something, and put up with a malfunctioning FSD than come across something and not be able to sample it.

Well, to be fair, air bags and seat belts don't prevent damage either. To the vehicle, that is. ;) :D

It's not the best analogy, but I think it gets the point across. It's in that category of "it's not needed, until it is" :)

I'm on my way back from Beagle in my Exploration kitted Krait Mk II. (54Ly jump range)(with shield generator).

Total distance covered must be in the region of 90 kylies by now.

I've used my AFMUs once and once only - and that was only to fix 2% damage on some modules (after a single abrupt stop, I think???)

I don't use Neutron jumps.

For this reason, I think that next time I go out, even on a long range Explo-expedition, I'll not be taking AFMUs.

Anybody else have a similar mindset???

Yours Aye

Mark H
If you are going to avoid neutron boost then sounds fine to me.

I tend to use neutrons to get to the very 'edges' of the galaxy so I always pack a couple of AFMUs since boosting became possible

Top Bottom