Does Frontier think Horizons' UI is bad?

Try searching for a planet with a favorable material composition for example: Selecting or hovering a planet auto refreshes the info tab but because the composition table is located at the very bottom of a long list of other stuff you then have to manually scroll down every single time. Once or twice would be tolerable but when looking for e.g. Jumponium out in the black I've had at times a few dozen planets to check in a row, and it is at those times where this gets super annoying.
. . .
c) Rearrange and split up, which is the most common solution and the one used for EDO. It removes the fixed width panel and distributes its five tabs vertically along the screen border instead of horizontally. This frees up a ton of space and allows to add more tabs to distribute existing information as well as adding new elements.​
Absolutely agree with the rationale, but the data I want to see now is on another tab - always.
It's a difficult conundrum to solve with players using different access devices to interact with the same interface. I suspect that the ideal solution (for me, who would prefer to see all planetary data in one place) is very difficult to implement for all users.

Absolutely agree with the rationale, but the data I want to see now is on another tab - always.
It's a difficult conundrum to solve with players using different access devices to interact with the same interface. I suspect that the ideal solution (for me, who would prefer to see all planetary data in one place) is very difficult to implement for all users.
The old UI worked great with mouse & keyboard, game pad, hotas, joystick, on console and pc

That is my beef with the new UI, while I think it does look better usability with a HOTAS changed to the worse, hence why I actually still play more Horizon instead.
I guess it is the same with a gamepad, so with the upcoming console launch I'm quite sure that it will be addressed and tweaked.
Not gonna get into the galmap, system map stuff, i'm still working my head around the changes.

But coming from a HOTAS only perspective myself,

I'm gonna differ with you here, speaking about station services and in particular the mission board, the new UI is cleaner and easier although the separation between missions and passenger lounge is a level too deep IMO. But being able to see all transport mission, or all salvage/operations type missions or all combat missions without having to switch between faction tabs makes it a lot more manageable when you're stacking missions and looking for others in a single destination system.

Loadout and storage has some issues relating to context switches, and for many missing info, although being a single ship pilot it isn't something i've had to experience as much of that myself.

Theres some state management problems between layers of the repair/refuel UI and i'm still undecided about that.

Mostly the issue is , it's different. It FEELS like more work because we're fighting accustomed muscle memory, we make mistakes and have to back out of frame X and go back in again. Going back into Horizons the other day i found myself having the same kind of muscle memory clicking the wrong thing at the wrong time problems in the old UI.

But the actual number of actions is rarely more. More trigger clicks instead of thumb flips of the top hat, or throttle flappy panel left-right taps (in my case), more visual context switches.

That isn't to say there aren't problems that still need solving (sell vs store module with sell as the default for example).

And yeah, i'm one of those who complained at first too.

I'm cool with change, but only if that change is an actual improvement. Not everything old is bad. Take the wheel, for example. It can be improved upon, like these new airless tires, but it's still the same tried and true form that's been used for thousands of years:

iu

The Horizons UI could have used some tweaks, sure, but Frontier should have stayed with the same tried and true form (IMO). These days people are so "progressive" that they feel the need to reinvent everything, because "old is bad". Unfortunately this leads to wheels that look and function like this:

iu

That's Frontier's new UI, right there. ------^
Best Summation i've seen so far. Their loadout UI is so heinous i struggle to believe it passed any form of oversight. It couldn't have, how could any senior designer look at that, and say "damn that's intuitive" or even "nice function you have there". As for the rest of EDO, they went with a "fire it out, get the money and say sorry later, sorry is free" approach to game dev.

EDIT: I should add, that if someone is planning to say sorry prior to the act, their sorry isn't worth peepee (because other words are banned, grow up fdev)

Last edited:
Not gonna get into the galmap, system map stuff, i'm still working my head around the changes.

But coming from a HOTAS only perspective myself,

I'm gonna differ with you here, speaking about station services and in particular the mission board, the new UI is cleaner and easier although the separation between missions and passenger lounge is a level too deep IMO. But being able to see all transport mission, or all salvage/operations type missions or all combat missions without having to switch between faction tabs makes it a lot more manageable when you're stacking missions and looking for others in a single destination system.

Loadout and storage has some issues relating to context switches, and for many missing info, although being a single ship pilot it isn't something i've had to experience as much of that myself.

Theres some state management problems between layers of the repair/refuel UI and i'm still undecided about that.

Mostly the issue is , it's different. It FEELS like more work because we're fighting accustomed muscle memory, we make mistakes and have to back out of frame X and go back in again. Going back into Horizons the other day i found myself having the same kind of muscle memory clicking the wrong thing at the wrong time problems in the old UI.

But the actual number of actions is rarely more. More trigger clicks instead of thumb flips of the top hat, or throttle flappy panel left-right taps (in my case), more visual context switches.

That isn't to say there aren't problems that still need solving (sell vs store module with sell as the default for example).

And yeah, i'm one of those who complained at first too.
In my case it has nothing todo with muscle memory, it's a visual thing.
Overall the UI arrangement has way to many changes, transition is more steep than seamless.
Apart from that, Mission UI, I agree that it is cleaner, which also is part of the looks, what I dislike is when I as example select one of the mission givers, no mission is shown, where as with the old UI it would show all and let me select the filters
While it is nice to preselect filters as well it should not be a requirement.
I still can't see which missions are legal, where is that purple icon or what ever they mention? I must be blind because I just can't seem to spot it nor set a filter for it.
The complete icon changes are another issue, not even Microsoft changed theirs that much from Windows 3.1 to Windows 10, anyone who works with PCS and other symbol standards knows that you just don't change the image completely.
Maybe not a major issue for us since we can adapt, but there are actually people out there who will have hell of a time adapting.
Also changes to descriptions upon difficulty on top, now I have to learn what the new ones actually are compared to the old ones.
Just had to turn in a mission, blue field to the right with completed mission,hat switch button to the right and it stop just before the field I have to click, have to do it one more time to get there, that is another UI bug which requires double the clicks.
Also the "are you sure" confirmation popups when clicking Accept for each mission are another additional click which is absolutely needless.

Shutting it down now since the GPU fan noise caused by being in a station drives me nuts as well.

Top Bottom