Does mining now require a combat ship?

No combat ships needed. I mine in a Cutter that has no combat weapons. Just the mining stuff. I never have any issues. I haul 630 tons of Void opals back every run and have never even been interdicted, not that it would matter, I can just beat the interdiction mini-game or drop, boost and back to sc.

Lakon is poor mining, try core mining in any Saud-Kruger. The Orca, for instance is very similarly spec'd to a Python (as far as mining goes) but has more cargo cap than the Faulcon deLacy. Even without engineering the drives, the Orca will get you get a bigger payout, with a faster turn radius and faster lateral thrusters for getting around and placing charges on the asteroid and a much faster asteroid field sample rate.

E.g. more cores per hour. $260+mil per 1.5 hours work is commonplace.

Saud-Kruger ships = luxury mining rigs

Last edited:
It's not so much the pirates who show up in the ring that cause problems as the ones you might encounter when you're transporting ore to market afterwards.

In a T9 you're totally defensive, which isn't the end of the world but it is inconvenient and irritating.

Which is why I chopped in my mining T9 for a T10.
My T9 with 6A shields and A rated dirty drive thrusters doesn't lose interdictions like, ever, but if I sneeze and do lose the interdiction, they're not gonna do much.

What will be mildly fun tonight is I took a break from painite mining about half full last night. I popped just outside the ring, and will hopefully boost my way back in tonight, dodging those pesky scans and fill the rest of my hold.

Hi There Cmdr's
I just started playing after a 6 month break. Before the break I was mining void opals. I saw a video showing that Painite mining is now profitable so I thought I'd give it a go. I already had an engineered Type 7 fitted for mining so I took that. However, I was unable to mine. By the time I deplete a rock a pirate or 2 drop in. 4 out of 5 times one of the pirates was an Anaconda. I had to run leaving my limpets and minerals in space. I tried boosting away and beginning again (used to work before my break) but a new group would drop in on me again once I started mining.
So, either I had very bad luck or mining now requires being in a wing (something I've never done) or having a combat fitted ship, probably something tanky that can defeat an anaconda whilst continuing to mine, plus have enough space left over for all the mining stuff. Maybe an Anaconda or a Cutter.
Any suggestions?
No. I don't even carry conventional weapons on a mining ship as I want all the hardpoints for mining gear. I would never stand and fight in a ship with hardpoints not dedicated to weaponry and possibly with valuable stuff in the hold.

NPC pirates can always be avoided by boosting away after dropping in to a ring, and fighting interdiction or boosting/waking. (I'd never consider it worthwhile to mine in Open).

In answer to the title question without reading any of the other posts in this thread...

Not in the slightest.
I have a Type-10 that is fitted solely for mining, at one point I made the mistake of relogging with a hold full of void opals, and, intending on continuing mining, I began to be harassed by a pirate in a Sidewinder.
I proceeded to spend the next half an hour trying to hit the damn thing with the abrasion blaster. One shot nearly took down its shields, and another two good shots would've killed it.

Alas, I had to low wake in the end because I am terrible at using fixed weapons, and I couldn't hit the Sidewinder fast enough before its shields regenerated.
So if you can use fixed weapons, easy peasy...

But otherwise, make sure you take an SLF and, crucially, don't forget to equip your pilot before you leave the starport.
Yeah, I probably should've done that.

sollisb

Banned
Dropping into a mining ring is an event that triggers the random spawning of NPCs. If they do spawn they'll come visit you,s can you, and if you are carrying anything other than limpets, you are then a valid target. if you carry nothing they fly off.

Dropping into a mining ring is an event that triggers the random spawning of NPCs. If they do spawn they'll come visit you,s can you, and if you are carrying anything other than limpets, you are then a valid target. if you carry nothing they fly off.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure is was a bug. Every time I boosted away and started mining again a new group would appear. Seems ok now

Yeah, I'm pretty sure is was a bug. Every time I boosted away and started mining again a new group would appear. Seems ok now

Did you, by any chance, decide to go mining while you still had some other mission outstanding?
Could have been that baddies from a mission were chasing you while you were trying to mine.

Just a thought....

Hi There Cmdr's
I just started playing after a 6 month break. Before the break I was mining void opals. I saw a video showing that Painite mining is now profitable so I thought I'd give it a go. I already had an engineered Type 7 fitted for mining so I took that. However, I was unable to mine. By the time I deplete a rock a pirate or 2 drop in. 4 out of 5 times one of the pirates was an Anaconda. I had to run leaving my limpets and minerals in space. I tried boosting away and beginning again (used to work before my break) but a new group would drop in on me again once I started mining.
So, either I had very bad luck or mining now requires being in a wing (something I've never done) or having a combat fitted ship, probably something tanky that can defeat an anaconda whilst continuing to mine, plus have enough space left over for all the mining stuff. Maybe an Anaconda or a Cutter.
Any suggestions?
o7 Commander - I'm afraid I haven't got many answers without more info. I tend to agree with CMDR Stealthie when they ask "Are you mining in a RES zone?" Following the initial and pointless pirate scan when you arrive, you shouldn't be bothered by pirates unless you're in an RES. It's entirely possible the painite hotspot you selected is also an RES - I've seen that a few times.

I always mined in a Conda and when I finally come back after my break I will be mining in my Vette.

I dare pirates to try and take my opals lol

Top Bottom