General / Off-Topic Don't call me retro

Come a long way. But lost something significant. The old 8-bit computers were simple enough (in terms of both software and hardware) for an individual person to understand their entire inner workings, or at least to grasp the basics. Not any more.

Oh I dunno about that. We've got the likes of the Arduino, Pie and Microbit now, as well as a whole world's wealth of information on how they work and what you can do with them thanks to the internet.
We're in good times for learning electronics, how to code and all the great things you can do with these devices.

Deleted member 110222

D
Oh I dunno about that. We've got the likes of the Arduino, Pie and Microbit now, as well as a whole world's wealth of information on how they work and what you can do with them thanks to the internet.
We're in good times for learning electronics, how to code and all the great things you can do with these devices.
I really need to get back to my Pi.

The original comparison was between the Acorn Atom and modern PC builds, rather than with the Pi etc. So my point stands. Certainly the Pi can teach you a great deal about IT, but it is of limited direct use in trying to figure out the complexities of standard hardware.

Better respond to this post in the present before its goes necro at some point in the future.

Has anyone consider that Arduino and pie Microbit were developed by the generation who experienced the 8bit revolution in UK. In fact the state of technical innovation in UK is quite depressing. We just outsourced it all.

The original comparison was between the Acorn Atom and modern PC builds, rather than with the Pi etc. So my point stands. Certainly the Pi can teach you a great deal about IT, but it is of limited direct use in trying to figure out the complexities of standard hardware.

'Complexities' of standard hardware? CPU/graphics memory storage medium display input device. Its the software that makes it all work which has become really bloated.

Come a long way. But lost something significant. The old 8-bit computers were simple enough (in terms of both software and hardware) for an individual person to understand their entire inner workings, or at least to grasp the basics. Not any more.
I don't know.

I've been into computers for decades.

I build rigs (primarily for myself) and have had to repair Windows installations at the command line level, have had to get deep into Windows at times (unfortunately) so I think understanding the more modern architectures etc. is just really a survival mechanism........

........ I have no formal training in IT or electronics.

'Complexities' of standard hardware? CPU/graphics memory storage medium display input device. Its the software that makes it all work which has become really bloated.
I agree.

As memory has gotten way cheaper and processor more powerful (there is more processing power in your mobile phone than the computers that put man on the moon in the 1960's) issues with drivers/caches have actually been one area of major pain in Windows installations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom