Double Elite done.....1 Left

As the title says.

Got my Elite in Exploration last night to go with my trade Elite.

got the game/addiction end of October 17 played just over 7 weeks of game time in that period, and still love turning the game on.

Last one to do is my combat, I've got a mere 50% to go, lol could take this lowly old player a while to get to that one, especially when my combat time is dictated to by BGS work.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Best place to get it up, I never managed as it becomes tedious is compromised nav beacons with your pimped out combat ship, lots of smaller Elite rated NPCs. Basically you want to be killing Elite rated ships over and over and over and over... You get the idea.

Best place to get it up, I never managed as it becomes tedious is compromised nav beacons with your pimped out combat ship, lots of smaller Elite rated NPCs. Basically you want to be killing Elite rated ships over and over and over and over... You get the idea.

Also Thargoid scouts. I can't remember off the top of my head what they rank as, but I seem to recall it was Elite, so just fly to a system they are scouting and squash 'em. You'll also be helping ward off the main thargoids invading that system.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Also Thargoid scouts. I can't remember off the top of my head what they rank as, but I seem to recall it was Elite, so just fly to a system they are scouting and squash 'em. You'll also be helping ward off the main thargoids invading that system.

Ahh that's interesting, I still haven't even gone up against scouts, where do they spawn and are they all Elite rated? Easy to kill? I understand you can use standard weapons on them?

This is how I went from Dangerous to Deadly. Going from Deadly to Elite is way too much grind for me personal. It may happen someday through natural play, but if not, no big deal.

In fact I never really understood the drive to achieve triple Elite, unless someone actually enjoys all three gameplay styles equally. Exploration is my favorite thing to do, so hitting Elite in that was meaningful to me - and I feel like I earned it because I purposefully avoided RTR (most my scans are first discoveries).

I enjoy 'casual' combat, and I wanted the "Deadly" tag on my ship because it looks more cool than just "Dangerous", thus the Thargoid Scout grind awhile back. If I ever do hit Elite in combat, I won't actually "feel" Elite, because griefers will always kick my butt in PvP, LOL.

As for trade... Bluah!

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
In fact I never really understood the drive to achieve triple Elite,

Yeh, I got to Deadly quite quickly and then realised that Elite combat rank was going to be very, very slow. I had a few sessions chipping away at it, but the progress even killing Elite rated ships is totally disproportional to the other Elite (Trade / Exploration) ratings. Not even a trophy for it, if there was I would have probably done it, as I wanted the Platinum. :D

Yeah Duck, I like combat but as you said personally think I'd be hugely out gunned in PvP, ok against NPC's but way to gung ho for PvP,

Trade Elite came easy as I got that doing my grind for credits and Fed/Imp rank unlocks.

the last 100mil of my Exploration was done in Robigo due to my frustration of scan value after returning from my 5000ly trip to unlock Palin, but the rest was purely scans, and I'm glad I done it that way as my name is there for first discoveries.

I do that too, Deadly 3%, so still a bit far.

Ahh that's interesting, I still haven't even gone up against scouts, where do they spawn and are they all Elite rated? Easy to kill? I understand you can use standard weapons on them?

Yep standard weapons work, not as good as ax or guardian stuff though.
If you look on the “Aliens” bit of features of elite there is an excellent thread, letting you know where the latest eagle eye targets are. Factabulous is a saint in my eyes with his updates.
I learned how to use fixed weapons popping scouts in a krait with guardian gauss cannons, handy skill to have!
Initially stick to NHSS 3-4 if i were you, scouts attack on sight and can mess u up pretty quick if you don’t know what you are doing initially. They all count as Elite rated though so are the best way to grind combat rank imo.

Fly safe CMDR’S o7

Yeh, I got to Deadly quite quickly and then realised that Elite combat rank was going to be very, very slow. I had a few sessions chipping away at it, but the progress even killing Elite rated ships is totally disproportional to the other Elite (Trade / Exploration) ratings. Not even a trophy for it, if there was I would have probably done it, as I wanted the Platinum. :D

Exact same here. Just got up to Deadly, then did several combat sessions and only make it up to 5%.

If I'm not mistaken (I usually am) for combat rank you only get rank progression for destroying ships the down to 'one rank less'. So if you're Deadly, then anything below Dangerous doesn't count. If that's correct, that means as you go up the ranks, fewer and fewer enemies actually count towards your ranking. Little wonder it seems so slow.

They do work but by far the easiest is turreted AX. They are nippy little blighters, so I just run with all AX turrets, corrosive and hull repair limpets + AMFU to repair damage. You don't need the xeno scanner or shutdown neutraliser. Guardian HRPs are a nice to have, but if you've not done the grind they're in no way necessary.

Like others have said the eagle eye installations tell you where they are but I just waited for Crow to tweet about it =)

Oh, by the way well done OP! I'm E/E/Dangerous myself!

Last edited:
I got my first Elite just the other night.

It was a total surprise, after a year playing the game just for fun.

To me that's what the ranks are about. If you want to consciously grind to achieve them, and that's your thing, fair play to you. But achieving it mindlessly felt very good.

As the title says.

Got my Elite in Exploration last night to go with my trade Elite.

got the game/addiction end of October 17 played just over 7 weeks of game time in that period, and still love turning the game on.

Last one to do is my combat, I've got a mere 50% to go, lol could take this lowly old player a while to get to that one, especially when my combat time is dictated to by BGS work.

Congrats!!!

I'm closing in on my second double Elite, this time on PC.

But like others have said, it looks like a serious grind to get Elite in combat, and I'm stuck around Competent on both PC and XBOX with no desire to grind anymore.

Congrats!!!

I'm closing in on my second double Elite, this time on PC.

But like others have said, it looks like a serious grind to get Elite in combat, and I'm stuck around Competent on both PC and XBOX with no desire to grind anymore.

The combat Elite will come, I got to say though for me when I don't fancy doing anything tedious in Elite, I'll sit on a CNB and create white dots on my scanner, nothing better than a bit of wanton destruction.....

They do work but by far the easiest is turreted AX. They are nippy little blighters, so I just run with all AX turrets, corrosive and hull repair limpets + AMFU to repair damage. You don't need the xeno scanner or shutdown neutraliser. Guardian HRPs are a nice to have, but if you've not done the grind they're in no way necessary.

I have a Vulture with two AX turrets and size 1 decon and repair limpet controllers, and I can fight scouts in that all day (as long as they don't shoot too many acid missiles) easy peasy. My shields never go down since I'm pretty hard to hit in that small ship. I bought those AXMCs for my Conda, but it actually fared far worse, probably because it is such a big, slow target. It's also way more expensive to fix than my Vulture, which matters since last I did this, scouts were crap for earning credits.

Turrets on a fighter may irk some of you reading this, but I have grown to love them. They let me fly in a wide circle around scouts, thus easily avoiding their incoming fire and acid clouds when they detonate. That said, I had to kill a LOT of scouts to go from low Dangerous to Deadly, and after awhile the repetitive gameplay got boring. With human ships, there is variety in the battles that is lacking with Thargoid scouts.

DenmLZWUwAA95Hh.jpg

Last edited:
I got my first Elite just the other night.

It was a total surprise, after a year playing the game just for fun.

To me that's what the ranks are about. If you want to consciously grind to achieve them, and that's your thing, fair play to you. But achieving it mindlessly felt very good.

Best way to do it in my opinion and you are less likely to kill the game. There will often be grind elements to each game, but best to keep them to a minimum where possible and several years on I am still playing it as much as before.

Top Bottom