Drew Wagar's Thoughts

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
giphy (10).gif

Couldn't get through it the first time and couldn't get through it now. It's long, demanding, pendantic, and after fixing errors has no worthwhile points. Well, admittedly, I couldn't get very far.

The only area I kinda disagree with Drew is the regarding gating. I'm definitely not a supporter of grind, but I do think there should be a sense of progression and leveling up. New players shouldn't get a G5 Corvette for free just so they can fight a Thargoid 10 minutes after they start a new CMDR. On the other hand, if humanity is at war with the Thargoids, then humanity should be supplying the necessary weapons to fight those Thargoids.

This is where I wish ED had a proper player-driven economy and supply chain. Anti-Thargoid weapons should be purchasable, but imagine if Guardian materials are needed by factories to assemble them. This would allow CMDRs who love hauling stuff to gather and sell Guardian materials to factories which in turn create weapons that combat pilots can buy for their ships. This allows people with different play styles to embrace those play styles with a sense of purpose without forcing one player to be a "jack of all trades" just to do the one thing they really want to do.

Same goes for engineering - some CMDRs love the process of gathering materials and engineering modules, where others just want the end product so they can play the game they want. A [regulated] player market that would allow players to exchange goods (engineered weapons, suits, and even ships) would be amazing IMO. This could even be done between players in solo based on how the game works. Of course to prevent the market from getting flooded, rebuys would need to be reconsidered (no more magic resurrection of engineered modules).

Yes, I know, it kinda sounds like Eve, but I'm thinking more like Eve Lite, where the nuances of the economy is handled behind the scenes and balanced by the fact that NPCs also interact with Elite's galaxy. I'm also thinking of using the cool part of Eve to make Elite less grindy rather than more grindy, while still maintaining a sense of progress (because you'll still need credits and reputation to buy all this stuff).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom