DS4 on PC

This might be better in PC section but I think PS4 players who have both might be in a better position to answer.

I've just bought E: D on PC. I've been on PS4 since Dec 17. If I connect my DS4 to my laptop, how much E: D PS4 functionality can I replicate? Mainly interested to know if the touchpad works as 4 buttons on PC too.

Any advice appreciated thanks!

Touch pad is not supported by defaulyt as MIcrosoft X-input controllers devices don't have touch pad
Microsoft also wish to push microsofts own controller sales for Xbox on PC which does not have touch pad...
Also touch pad is just mouse emulation if a game supports it...
By default windows 7-10 does not support the DS4 touchpad or sixaxis controlls...

Also Your random bluetooth card may not even support DS4 via wireless on PC as the maker could have used just any old Bluetooth card...
So SIE released a DS4 to PC adapter for those how could not run wireless on windows this is now discontinued so you may require USB cable..
( Macs support for wireless DS4 use was higher as they used more expensive of the shelf parts than the PC hardware builders )

Thanks. Good to know. I have a first gen DS4 I didn't think these could send inputs down the usb cable? I'll give it a go and see what happens I guess. I do have an Xbox one controller, but would have liked to have used my exact same control layout as much as possible. Seeing as I have about 20 functions mapped in some way to the touchpad it sounds like that won't be possible. Sigh. At least there is keyboard support!

You can get a DS4 on PC pretty close to the PS4 set up.

Didn't use the touchpad much, but I do miss the headlook control.

I bought a cheap wireless keyboard with touchpad, covers everything else.

I don't use DS4windows.

Damn you Microsoft.

Should cover everything you need, including the touchpad.
Does it now support full touch pad division, never did before only supported one corner not 4 split sections like elite dangerous uses on PS4...
But mouse use on Galaxy map is way better on PC as it has free roaming pointer... so may be worth losing the combos for any way...

Thanks for the help. Getting it dialled in. It won't quite be the same but will end up pretty close.

I used DS4 Windows and was able to get the touchpad to mimic 3 buttons by mapping the left touch, right touch and upper touch to key strokes. These can also be used in shift combos with the controller buttons.

Headlook is mappable to the gyro using this program. Have the gyro set to mouse input, and headlook set to direct input in the elite options. To stop the gyro acting as a mouse all the time i used the 2 finger touch to trigger the mouse function.

Thanks for the help. Getting it dialled in. It won't quite be the same but will end up pretty close.

I used DS4 Windows and was able to get the touchpad to mimic 3 buttons by mapping the left touch, right touch and upper touch to key strokes. These can also be used in shift combos with the controller buttons.

Headlook is mappable to the gyro using this program. Have the gyro set to mouse input, and headlook set to direct input in the elite options. To stop the gyro acting as a mouse all the time i used the 2 finger touch to trigger the mouse function.
When you've done, let me know how the combos buttons feel compared to PS4 please. (y)

When you've done, let me know how the combos buttons feel compared to PS4 please. (y)

Will do. Might take a few days though. An elite control setup is not the work of a moment. I spent a good couple of hours mapping before I even launched!

I use one all the time on pc here is a link to ds4pc it is an xbox emulator for the ds4 it allows you to do some good profiles but no track pad
ds4windows.com/
also steam can do a ds4 profile as well good luck o7

Thanks. I downloaded that. I was aware the ds4 worked, what I was i keen to know could all functions be replicated? I have 20 combos mapped to touchpad and was keen to mirror the control scheme! I've posted some feedback on post 7.

I'll do a write up of how close you can get when have messed about with it. Its not totally doable but won't be far off. PS4 allows some combos to be repeated in different contexts but the PC was prompting me to overwrite the previous one when I tried these.

Or Fdev could helpfully just port the PS4 control scheme with the trackpad and gyro setup to PC!

Will do. Might take a few days though. An elite control setup is not the work of a moment. I spent a good couple of hours mapping before I even launched!

Thanks. I downloaded that. I was aware the ds4 worked, what I was i keen to know could all functions be replicated? I have 20 combos mapped to touchpad and was keen to mirror the control scheme! I've posted some feedback on post 7.

I'll do a write up of how close you can get when have messed about with it. Its not totally doable but won't be far off. PS4 allows some combos to be repeated in different contexts but the PC was prompting me to overwrite the previous one when I tried these.

Or Fdev could helpfully just port the PS4 control scheme with the trackpad and gyro setup to PC!
with this download the gyro does work you have to set it up in the program menu but I have not found a way to get the trackpad to work like on ps4

That would require microsoft support it natively in windows and not require third party downloads... ( same support level there Xbox 360 controllers currenly are supported with)
Some Linux and Mac OS allready have done this and upated the kernal to force support of DS4... Mac OS can do this as they force the limited hardware used, there will always be compliance issues with bluetooth drivers and hardware on PC...
Remote play app on PC still requires the application force install full DS4 support...

with this download the gyro does work you have to set it up in the program menu but I have not found a way to get the trackpad to work like on ps4

The ds4 windows I downloaded from latent buzzards link had a section where you could map some touchpad functionality to keyboard inputs. The touchpad functions were left touch, right touch and upper touch. I mapped these to something like . ; and ' . The action for left and right is exactly like the PS4 implementation - click the touchpad on the relevant side. I had this working last night. Upper touch was more awkward as you have to click while touching the upper ridge of the touchpad. But you can have a 3 button setup rather than 4. You can then map these keystroke as combos with the controller buttons like on PS4.

There is also a multi touch option. I unbound this option and used it as a switch to turn gyro on and off. Turing on headlook in game, then putting 2 fingers on touchpad I could look around moving the controller. Its not exactly the same as it mimics mouse movement rather than gyro so it eventually goes off sync, but with a bit of refinement I think I'll get something workable.

Last edited:
That would require microsoft support it natively in windows and not require third party downloads... ( same support level there Xbox 360 controllers currenly are supported with)
Some Linux and Mac OS allready have done this and upated the kernal to force support of DS4... Mac OS can do this as they force the limited hardware used, there will always be compliance issues with bluetooth drivers and hardware on PC...
Remote play app on PC still requires the application force install full DS4 support...
To be fair, this is the only game I can think of where the touchpad is used as multiple buttons. It was a great idea and far better than the usual click for map or inventory.

No other game does this so can't imagine there's much demand!

Top Bottom