[DSSA] #113 Lux in Tenebris

bH9MPBB.png
DSSA #113
Lux in Tenebris
[CEC] Deus Vult! XFH-W4Y
As a part of the DSSA initiative I am sending my fleet carrier to the Tenebrae region. But as I'm not looking for easy ways, the path of this expedition is not going to be straight. I'm also planning to visit some nice nebulae near the Bubble, two green giants and anomalies near the Amindsen's star.

So, the path is going to look like this:
7chSrN3.jpg

However, there are currently some problems with deep space tritium mining (which some explorers call the tritpocalypse), so I had to change my plan a bit to avoid refueling by mining. After the Amundsen's star I'm planning to return to the Witch Head Nebula or even the Bubble, replenish tritium and then continue from the the Skull and Crossbones Nebula.
EFsypCe.jpg

My carrier [CEC] Deus Vult! is currently parked on orbit around planet 1 in Kagutsuchi. So if anyone wish to join me, you are free to dock.

The expedition will start at 12:00 UTC on the August 2.

The current schedule for now looks like this.

I will be updating it on the fly according to the current state of affairs with the expedition.

As you can see it is pretty intense. The carrier will start at 12:00 UTC on the departure day and then fly directly to the next WP, where it is going to stay till 12:00 UTC of the next departure day. And so on.
I should underline (and mark it with large capital letters :) ) that THE EXPEDITION IS A ONE-WAY TRIP and you will have either to return all by yourselves, or use so called "Braben's teleport". But keep in mind that transporting large ship from the Tenebrae region may cost a lot of money (like 2,5 billions for the Cutter).

By the way, if you can read russian, то здесь находится описание экспедиции на русском языке.

Stage I.

WP1. Kagutsuchi -- the headquarters of the Close Encounters Corps and the starting point of the expedition.
S4A9jAG.png

WP2. Betelgeuse -- red giant, living the last days of it's life. Hurry up, while it has not gone supernova ;)
ZP4WMZe.jpg

9ofn9rJ.jpg

WP3. Spirograph Nebula -- nice planetary nebula with some space life in it. Close Encounters Corps' science megaship CEC-1018 is parked here.
KRMZlOb.png

3yjt9K6.png

WP4. Hades Edge -- three small (but pretty massive) rocks orbit each other on the very edge of the atmosphere of the giant C-class star.
30fAkxL.jpg

QsIlwR4.jpg

WP5. Thor's Helmet Nebula -- an emission nebula in the constellation Canis Major approximately 3,6K Lys from the Bubble with the scientific asteroid base Sagan Research Centre. By the way, the easternmost shipyard (Hell port) is located 300 Lys from here, so if you somehow managed to forget spare sidewinders -- this is the last chance.
cqDUVz8.png

xuJWTJll.jpg

WP6. Rosette Nebula -- large emission nebula near a giant molecular cloud in the in the Monoceros constellation. Housea asteroid base the New Beginning.
4MM5qLhl.png

9adQ7bu.jpg

WP7. Monkey Head Nebula -- well, kind of one more nice-looking nebula on our way. Just to check whether something new "switched on" after the last update :)
u8INlIRl.png

WP8. Crab Nebula -- supernova remnant not very far from the Sol, houses one of the first pulsars that mankind ever discovered. Home for The Crab Operations Syndicate's asteroid base. Fot rather a long time this system has been the easternmost human colony.
uUzX2In.jpg

sGAJc4j.jpg

WP9. Pheia Aewsy LV-Y d11 -- the newest green glowing giant and, to be honest, the aim of our detour. Still not very many data on it's surroundings, and we have the opportunity to improve this situation.
neu10iX.png

WP10. The Eafoff Anomaly -- well since we are passing by anyway, it would have been unforgivable not to visit one more GGG.
LcqXmUkl.jpg

WbHVhFr.jpg

w4FOzXs.jpg

Stage II.

Time for an even larger detour. We are going to visit the region on the on the very edge of the Perseus Arm -- The Perseus Fade. Stars become more and more sparse here, young T Tauri stars disappear almost completely, and jumps become longer and longer. The Milky Way, usually (well, at least usually for us, inhabitants of the Bubble) warped all around the sky, gather in a spot behind and the sky in front become coal black.

The GalMap says that here star density drops drastically, and that beyond the Fade lies only the intergalactic void. This is all true, but not completely.

Because between the Fade and the void lies also a region named the Outer Arm Vacuus. If you look in the sky, you'll see nothing there, if you look at the map, you also would not notice any difference between the Fade and that region. Still the stars on the very tip of the Outer Arm get a tiny-tiny bit denser and ship with long jump range can still navigate in the Vacuus.

And the gap between the Perseus Arm and the Outer Arm Vacuus is crossed by a single thin chain of stars -- the Monoceros Passage. Currently it is the only documented way through this part of the Perseus Fade. And still it is available only to heavily engineered ships. The longest gap you'll have cross here is 119,78 Ly, so the jump range of at least 60 Ly plus tons of jumponium are mandatory.

This chain of stars was mapped by a group of brave explorers during the Mococeros expedition. And I can only express my admiration for them, because navigation here is difficult even with the help of beacons, left by the expedition. And they managed to find a bridge through this region without any instructions at all.

Crossing through the Monoceros passage was a very interesting and challenging event for me some time ago, however nowadays carrier needs only two jumps to cross it. Still, here are some interesting systems to look at.

WP11. Jongoi MG-N c20-0 -- the beginning of the Monoceros passage.

Jongoi SC-M d7-0 -- close "trinary" system.
r2TmIBO.jpg

Jongoi UR-W d1-0 -- "siamese" twins of different colors.
19bKGGg.jpg

WP12. Jongoi MF-A d0 -- the Monoceros Beacon and the end of the passage.

WP13. Amundsen's Star -- the southernmost system. However for us it is interesting not only because of it's geographical location, but because it and it's surroundings house some rare spacelife -- Gyre trees and P-class anomalies.
oTfJUU1.jpg

J3n5Wc0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Plan B.

Because of our large detours we are going to miss about 10K tons of tritium to complete our journey. Since mining is not an option because of recent "improvements", we have only one way out -- rapid return to The Witch Head Nebula or even the Bubble to replenish fuel. By the way this would be a wonderful opportunity to get off for those, who don't want to fly 40K Lys back from the Tenebrae.

Stage III.

WP14. Skull & Crossbones Nebula -- small nebula about 15K Lys from Sol. In addition to beautiful views, it boasts a certain amount of man-made debris, which gave rise to the legend of their "pirate" nature. The systems around the nebula have long been tagged by explorers, and no secret settlements have been found, however debris are still there :)
SYOhqfyl.jpg

G0WL4EX.jpg

WP15. Engopr YH-L b14-2 -- the location of a fellow carrier DSSA Nereus’ Deep.
pwkpzqd.jpg

WP16. Gates Of Alighieri -- a very hot metal-rich planet in a 2.8-hour orbit around a red dwarf. The Bubble has a very remarkable Skardee system, the first planet of which is known among explorers as a test site for the cooling systems. The parent star of the Gates Of Alighieri is colder, but the planet itself is much closer, so the surface temperature there is even higher -- as much as 1185 K, which is only half less than the temperature of the photosphere of the star itself.
agx8UlA.png

GBl1Gzx.jpg

WP17. Oodgosly HY-Z d13-4 -- Lyra's Song boasts a certain amount of Quadripartite pods and this system is in the middle of their habitat.
4Uy0Zis.jpg

WP18. Fly by Ice -- unusually large icy body in a 2.7 day orbit with high eccentricity. During the nearest approach, the M-class dwarf grows in the sky and is almost as large as it's twin in the Gates Of Alighieri.
5wKUBG1l.png

A51jOdHl.png

WP20. Ooc Fleau GG-F d11-0 -- the end of our journey, [CEC] Deus Vult! will be parked here among shepherd moons inside this enormous ring.
MjgMnl3.jpg

By the way, don't forget to visit Magellan's Star it boasts not only ice crystals but also rare energy anomalies (I've personally seen K-11 there, however the Codex says there should also be L-08 somewhere in the system).
nFFikx8l.png

Er65UBb.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great looking route! Hopefully FDev will have the Trit issues sorted out on the 3rd. Safe travels!

o7

Minus one hour to launch :)

UPD. Launch countdown has started, 10 minutes to launch pads lockdown.

UPD2. Here we are at the Betelgeuse. Next jump tomorrow at 12:00 UTC.
AFTPgtb.jpg

Last edited:
You don't have to go back to the bubble for fuel. If we can still mine tritium after the patch, then I'll have plenty to spare.

Stop by and pick some up. Visit the blue super giant HD 73695 while you're here.

carriers-regions (1).png

Hi Shnyrik,

my FC. Blodeuwedd's Branch, is making it's way in a similar direction.

Here's the route I'm following:

plan-sketch1.png

I'll certainly be adding some of the waypoints you've detailed here and I hope to see you out there. o7

Stop by and pick some up
I am really grateful for this offer, which could have saved me a lot of time and around billion credits, however some people contacted me, asking to get them off or pick them up after Kepler's Crest, so now it would be very unpolite of me not to return to the Bubble.

Last edited:
Launch countdown has started, 10 minutes to launch pads lockdown.
UPD. And here we are at the Spirograph Nebula.
bdPyxp8.jpg

Last edited:
Ten minutes to jump.
UPD. And here we are at the Thor's Helmet Nebula (but it's the view on the Seagull nebula of course).
Btw. the bug with "stripy" nebulae is said to be fixed long ago :)
uZzHHKe.jpg

Last edited:
Going to the Rosette Nebula. Ten minutes to pads lockdown.
UPD. And here we are.
m0bG8M2.jpg

By the way, I visited one ice ball, where during the Outer Rim Station Tour I managed to find some water geysers. That was before the new DSS "golf" mechanics, so back then it took me quite some time flying along the network of canyons, before I found white water plumes.
yp2lkGN.jpg
That is how it looked in 3304.
KaVIimT.jpg

NZJosfo.jpg

However, some tectonic changes caused these geysers to disappear. Oh, well, who am I kidding, frontiers must have changed mechanics and the nearest geo signal spawned something like 500 km away.

But that was not all. I suddenly saw a blue circle on my radar. I lowered the altitude and understood, that it was an NPC ship. And it was on the very same place where I landed in 3304 and it was the very same ship -- imperial eagle.

Amazing. Like I've met myself from the past.
sD09zpe.jpg

Last edited:
Half an hour before the countdown. Now jumping to the Crab Nebula. We are going to stay there for the Sunday.

UPD. And here we are.
495SOba.jpg

By the way, don't forget to visit Sunny Side Down Planetary Nebula it is very near and it's got a nice black hole.
EI3SMBy.jpg

DAgdb7d.jpg

Next jump is planned on Monday 12:00 UTC. We are going to visit a nearby green glowing giant.

Last edited:
We're anchored in the Crab Nebula today too. o7
Taking on fuel and then likely heading trailwards down the Outer Arm before crossing into the Perseus Arm across the Fades. Hopefully catch up with you down the road.

One hour to jump. This time we are gowing to visit one more GGG -- The Eafoff Anomaly. This is going to be one of the longest one-day trips for the expedition, for we are making 17 jumps. And thus we'll, probably, be jumping for the whole day and part of the night, however tomorrow we are having some rest and the expedition will continue on Thursday.

UPD. And we are finally here.
WyrO6BI.jpg

Last edited:
Time to move to the Amundsen's Star. The carrier will stay there till 12:00 UTC next Monday (I mean this Monday, well whatever, I mean August 17)and then head back to the Bubble for refueling to move to The Skull and Crossbones Nebula to August 23.

And here we are. The galaxy from slightly outside.
N0EpnLr.jpg

And some local life.
3IhVxCO.jpg

WXjjmbT.jpg

Last edited:
Time to move [CEC] Deus Vult! back to the Bubble for refueling. This will take quite some time and we'll be on the move more then one day.

Top Bottom