Abandoned Dust Buster: the space dust removal mod

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong? I have non steam ED and i used mod i downloaded from front page. I removed ShaderFixes\5f5a888d3052e017-ps_replace.txt but particles still are missing from normal cruise. So no matter what i remove there are particles missing. In supercruise this is perfect but, in normal flight vector indicators are actually useful. I prefer normal indicator instead of starfield but better than none.
No speedlines and no starfield? LOVING IT!

Nevermind i messed up. :)

Last edited:
I tried installing it the other day, and experienced this too. :( I am using a Rift. Did anyone work out how to avoid the crash?

I would love to know if anyone has this working with their Rift now.

I installed it the other day (with modified file to add more dust) since I fly FA off. I was playing 2d and it was great!!

Tried my Rift last night and couldn't get past the preview window opening, instant crash at the Frontier logo.

I would love for this to work in VR.

Hmmm can't get this to work at all with the latest update. Anyone else having issues?

I just tried it; still works fine.

I'm fairly confident that there won't be an ED update that will break this mod. They'd have to do some major changes to the graphics engine to break it (or specifically target it). There is no real reason to do those sorts of changes. It would have to an update be as big as the walking around mode to break it... that might come one day, maybe.

Last edited:
I just tried it; still works fine.

I'm fairly confident that there won't be an ED update that will break this mod. They'd have to do some major changes to the graphics engine to break it (or specifically target it). There is no real reason to do those sorts of changes. It would have to an update be as big as the walking around mode to break it... that might come one day, maybe.

Maybe I am just doing it wrong.

My understanding is that your just copy all the files from the zip into the correct directory, which is:

.../EDLaunch/Prodducts/elite-deangerous-64/

Is the correct?

Dust mod with Rift not working

I would love to know if anyone has this working with their Rift now.

I installed it the other day (with modified file to add more dust) since I fly FA off. I was playing 2d and it was great!!

Tried my Rift last night and couldn't get past the preview window opening, instant crash at the Frontier logo.

I would love for this to work in VR.

Just adding to this question as I have found the same thing after upgrading to 2.4. Crashes to desktop for me too and would really like to get this mod working again.
You don't realize how much of a difference it makes until you are stuck with wiping all the dust from your windshield in super cruise.

Just adding to this question as I have found the same thing after upgrading to 2.4. Crashes to desktop for me too and would really like to get this mod working again.
You don't realize how much of a difference it makes until you are stuck with wiping all the dust from your windshield in super cruise.

Doesn't work for me either, crash report everytime.

Can anyone help me with this?

I want to make the dust more visible. Furrycat's post seems to basically have all the information I need to modify Dustbuster, but I don't understand where I should insert the line to make the dust clearer.

Edit 5f5a888d3052e017-ps_replace.txt and replace the contents with these:
Code:
Texture2D<float4> t0 : register(t0);

SamplerState s0_s : register(s0);

cbuffer cb0 : register(b0)
{
  float4 cb0[1];
}

Texture2D<float4> StereoParams : register(t125);
Texture1D<float4> IniParams : register(t120);

void main(
  float4 v0 : TEXCOORD0,
  float3 v1 : TEXCOORD1,
  float4 v2 : SV_Position0,
  out float4 o0 : SV_Target0)
{
  float4 r0;
  uint4 bitmask, uiDest;
  float4 fDest;

r0.xyzw = t0.Sample(s0_s, v1.xy).xyzw;
  r0.xyz = cb0[0].xxx * r0.xyz;
  r0.xyz = v1.zzz * r0.xyz;
  r0.xyz = cb0[0].www * r0.xyz;
  o0.xyz = v0.xyz * r0.xyz;
  o0.w = 32;
  return;
}
Change the o0.w = 32; to a higher or lower number to have more or less dust. 128 or 16 for example. Don't remove the ; if you do that!

I can't get this to work. I unzipped the files to the correct folder (Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64), and there's still space dust...

EDIT: It apparently has something to do with combining DustBuster with EDFX. I can use one of them, but not both together. Is there a way to make DustBuster work with EDFX?

Last edited:
Not sure if this is still the case but on my EDFX I had to set the Compatibility mode to Mode 2 (dxgi.dll) which then doesn't interfere with the dustbuster d3d11.dlls.

Not sure if this is still the case but on my EDFX I had to set the Compatibility mode to Mode 2 (dxgi.dll) which then doesn't interfere with the dustbuster d3d11.dlls.

I'll try that and see what happens :).

EDIT: Nope, doesn't work with any of the compatibility modes...

Last edited:
I remember it took a bit of fiddling with to get it to work.
You may have to uninstall the EDFX shaders first ... then get the dust mod working and then re-apply EDFX shaders in comparability mode.

I remember it took a bit of fiddling with to get it to work.
You may have to uninstall the EDFX shaders first ... then get the dust mod working and then re-apply EDFX shaders in comparability mode.

I've tried just about everything now, I think. I'm not going to spend more time trying to get this to work, so I'm giving up on it. Thanks for your help, though :).

Last edited:
Top Bottom