Abandoned Dust Buster: the space dust removal mod

Seems like it would be a fairly simple matter for FDev to add a "Space-Dust-Level" slider into the graphics options but no, that would be work . . .

Hey Ledpup,

First off would like to thank you for the spacedust remover - it has been the absolute best!
I have to ask though, do you have any idea what may be the cause of the crash to desktop when using the rift or how to fix it?
I love flying with no space dust on my monitor but sadly can't enjoy it anymore on the rift.

Hey Ledpup,

First off would like to thank you for the spacedust remover - it has been the absolute best!
I have to ask though, do you have any idea what may be the cause of the crash to desktop when using the rift or how to fix it?
I love flying with no space dust on my monitor but sadly can't enjoy it anymore on the rift.

I suspect it was caused by Oculus introducing a "security" feature to prevent users from meddling with the DirectX libraries. It seems like older versions of the Oculus software worked (pre 2.4) with the mod.
Dustbuster uses 3Dmigoto to get the overwritten pixel shaders into the game. The build of 3Dmigoto that it uses is 2 years old. If you try a new build of 3Dmigoto (from https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/releases) it might work. That's the first thing I'd try (if I had a Rift).

Last edited:
where is the dust_buster mod?

The given Link does not connect to the file?
Can you give me a link to the Dust Buster Mod?
I hate cleaning my cockpit-window all days :)

Thanx
CMDR Latenoid

3.3 Update?

Hey, thanks for an awesome mod! Are you planning to update it for 3.3? With the lighting and shader changes, the mod doesn't seem to work anymore.

Yeah 3.3 broke this MUST HAVE mod. Stupid space dust in supercruise and stupid vertical supercruise lines :(

Normal flight dust is OK for vector indication but rest is just bull. Can we please have option to disable those vertical lines in SC + no space dust?
If not someone PLEEEAAAASSEEE fix it! FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT! FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT! :(

I'm too spoiled to go back. Mah immersion hurts.

Last edited:
Why not? It's a purely graphical mod. It gives absolutely no advantage in any competitive aspect of the game. It simply allows you to enjoy the scenery in supercruise, instead of having extremely bright random pixels flying in your face.
And if you choose to use it for normal flight aswell, if anything, it makes it harder to pilot, as you can't see which direction you're moving.

This mod is simply named GAMEHACKING and its not offi.. allowed!!

Officially, it is allowed. A FDev employee okay'ed on the reddit page for it a couple of years ago. Unless they've changed their position on it. I haven't heard about it if they have. You're correct, it is a hack to the game, but it's not one that gives anyone any sort of advantage... unless you call wanting to play the game vs not wanting to play the game an advantage...

All, I'll attempt a fix for 3.3 tonight. Hopefully it'll be the same sort of solution as what I did the first time. I didn't realise it was so popular! (Yes, I call a few requests for an update popular!)

Thanks ledpup, really looking forward to a Dustbuster that will work with 3.3. Been using it for a couple of years up until 3.2 and now I'm back to the immersion-breaking dust and the awful vertical lines in SC.

Don't underestimate how much your work on this mod is appreciated. :)

Top Bottom