Abandoned Dust Buster: the space dust removal mod

Anyone get this to work along side reshade 2
I love reshade for my rendering but would love to be without the damn dust......ill put up with it for reshade if its not possible, but just wondering if someone managed to do both ?

Anyone get this to work along side reshade 2
I love reshade for my rendering but would love to be without the damn dust......ill put up with it for reshade if its not possible, but just wondering if someone managed to do both ?

No, it doesn't work with ReShade. They're using the same sort of tech to alter the render pipeline but you can't stack them. It would be technically possible to do in ReShade but the devs have locked that sort of thing out, unfortunately. This was the only way I found that would work.

I'm the opposite opinion, I'd rather have the no dust than any other graphic changes.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't work with ReShade. They're using the same sort of tech to alert the render pipeline but you can't stack them. It would be technically possible to do in ReShade but the devs have locked that sort of thing out, unfortunately. This was the only way I found that would work.

I'm the opposite opinion, I'd rather have the no dust than any other graphic changes.
Thanks for the reply, very informative....
Might give it a whirl in vive, and work a way to switch between the renders....in vive im not so bothered about reshade as I am on a monitor.....but the dust is super annoying in vr....

Actually, if you rename the dust mod's binary to d3d11.dll and have the standard name for ReShade (dxgi.dll) both can be injected at the same time. :) I tested this some time ago and while it worked then it might not work today.

Just found out that the much needed and missing 'speed tapes' for accurate 3D vector awareness, were removed in Alpha (.)

Does some expert here, know how to write a shader to remove the stupid dust and put back the 3D speed tapes? one for each axis?

I'll contribute money via PayPal if someone can do this.

Thanks

PS - can that same someone remove the stupid X Speed tape from Supercruise too? It's incorrect and utterly redundant.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to try this out for a long time, but kept on putting it off.

The game feels so much better without the FSD speed tapes. The dust during supercruise I could sort of accept as an interaction of dust particles with the FSD bubble, but not during regular flight.

I don't understand why Frontier haven't already made these on/off options in the in-games options?

Does this mean that you renamed the d3d11.dll file to dxgi.dll? I would like to try it with my Reshade III

Actually there's a quite significant difference. ReShade adds an overlay change to the image (basically Photoshopping the image).
This mod however injects a debug tool to search and tweak (or hack) the game's internal shaders. :)

Did you have to run this first before renaming the binary? I am trying to wrap my head around what you did to get both Reshare and this to both run.

Hmm.. weird. Dropbox must have changed something. I've updated the links in the OP. Let me know if they still don't work. (They really should though, checked from two machines.)

Just getting back to this. Yes, the links work now, thanks much! This mod is appreciated.

Did you have to run this first before renaming the binary? I am trying to wrap my head around what you did to get both Reshare and this to both run.

Install ReShade (its binary is called dxgi.dll). Then download Dust removal mod (its binary is called d3d11.dll). Done.

34397792762_31fa9f93ac_h.jpg

No space dust. Exagerrated ReShade settings just to show it's enabled.

I got it to work with EDFX version as well. had to rename to dxgi.dll for reshade 2+ on EDFX, though key is the dustmod dll (d3d11.dll) must be set as readonly. Otherwise, as soon as you paste it to the folder it deletes out automatically (at least that is what I experienced). Once i set as readonly, it stayed in place. Note for EDFX, I also had to update the edfx.cfg file to change all references from d3d11.dll to dxgi.dll.

Finally, no dust while in SC along side EDFX's reshade options!

I have played dust-free play in VR for about a year with this brilliant mod, but since the last three weeks or so I haven't been able to get the mod to work without the game crashing within seconds when loading. Is anyone else having this problem?

I've tried rolling back drivers, cleaning game files, reinstallling the whole game, but no luck. The space dust really annoys me - especially in SC. Any ideas? I really love the no dust experience.

I have played dust-free play in VR for about a year with this brilliant mod, but since the last three weeks or so I haven't been able to get the mod to work without the game crashing within seconds when loading. Is anyone else having this problem?

I've tried rolling back drivers, cleaning game files, reinstallling the whole game, but no luck. The space dust really annoys me - especially in SC. Any ideas? I really love the no dust experience.

Yeah ah same exact thing happens to me. Frontier logo comes on and then it crashes immediately after. I would Realy like to have my dust free game back

Yeah ah same exact thing happens to me. Frontier logo comes on and then it crashes immediately after. I would Realy like to have my dust free game back

I haven't played ED in months but I just fired it up and went into basic training (the first combat scenario). It ran fine for me. I doubt any general change other than the most recent update (2.3.10) or an Nvidia driver update would affect your experience. I'm running version 382.53 GeForce drivers.

Oh, the first poster mentioned VR. Are you using VR too? Maybe a driver update to that has broken it. Try it without VR to begin with.

I tried installing it the other day, and experienced this too. :( I am using a Rift. Did anyone work out how to avoid the crash?

Top Bottom