Abandoned Dust Buster: the space dust removal mod

Hmmm. Ok, actually, none of the shaderfixers are working for me at all I now see. I still have space dust too. So you might have the right shader, but something wrong here. I'm not sure why, though. I don't get any .bin files, so something ain't lining up.

I shouldn't have to do anything but copy the stuff to my folder, right, just like before?

Well, I re-installed the stuff, rebooted my machine, and now it does work. Even the camera grime is gone. I'm not sure why it didn't work at first, but I'm good now.

Thanks for the help, this really makes a difference for me :)

And the “6 second game pause” just occurred again WITHOUT the ship glow shader so that was not the issue.
Will be reinstalling it next boot up. No dust is still working great.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
So whoever's in charge of this now, could it be possible to have a version of squeegee that doesn't totally remove PA coronas?
MlxlCF1.png

I'm not sure how they did it before, maybe someone edited shader code instead of deleting it? Because it's in one shader. If I had previous version, I could look into it how they did it and probably do it again.

Do you have link to old squeegee version?

Last edited:
Super work as ever. It nice to be rid of silly dust lines again.

Did you make any headway with stopping start colouring the milky-way?

I honestly don't know which shader it is, my eyesight isn't best :( Those small details pass through me. I tried to bunch up as many options as possible. You can turn off HUD glow on ship, you can turn off almost anything from HUD, but I don't know which one is that dust that everyone talks about.
Included shader removes that glare and one removes those windows cracks or whatever those are. But I still don't know which one is the dust. Maybe screenshot that dust so I can try finding it?

I honestly don't know which shader it is, my eyesight isn't best :( Those small details pass through me. I tried to bunch up as many options as possible. You can turn off HUD glow on ship, you can turn off almost anything from HUD, but I don't know which one is that dust that everyone talks about.
Included shader removes that glare and one removes those windows cracks or whatever those are. But I still don't know which one is the dust. Maybe screenshot that dust so I can try finding it?

You called it the starfield in a previous post.

Job is done! Where do I put all of my work?

Here's preliminary guide put this to ShaderFixes folder.

06b5574cbb67cb5c-ps_replace.txt disables starfield in normal flight
13c7cd6955a2b95e-ps_replace.txt disables starfield in supercruise
74a61bc54382d4d9-ps_replace.txt disables cleans your windows + possibly disables supercruise targets highlights (unsure if this shader does anything if enabled alone - someone try to figure out what it hides)
89fe00881332dc43-ps_replace.txt disables supercruise lines
e29d91120fc28c8e-ps_replace.txt disables glow of lights for ships and stations in supercruise also works as sort of windows cleaner, no more glaring space dirt on your glass.

e61a98e9d493cdea-ps_replace.txt for maximum immersion mode

testing individual options and so far it seems to be all working as expected

Sadly nvidia only :(
Does it work on AMD cards?

Firstly, big thanks to Uliando for this mod. Loving it. Can't rep you enough. + inf :)

Secondly, installation on my PC went without a hitch. I have a Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti.

Thirdly, one of the shaders - I think "e61a98e9d493cdea-ps_replace.txt" - removes the HUD pitch ladder (and associated information) from the Ship and SRV window. It's the only aspect of the mod I don't like because the HUD pitch ladder is part of the flight and other controls (e.g. pitch, angle, aiming, altitude, distance, long/lat co-ordinates, etc). I do however really like that there are no placeholders (i.e. blue circles or labels) as it means you actually fly the ship using instruments which is awesome! So the only question I have is whether there is any way to keep just the pitch ladder with its related information?

Firstly, big thanks to Uliando for this mod. Loving it. Can't rep you enough. + inf :)

Secondly, installation on my PC went without a hitch. I have a Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti.

Thirdly, one of the shaders - I think "e61a98e9d493cdea-ps_replace.txt" - removes the HUD pitch ladder (and associated information) from the Ship and SRV window. It's the only aspect of the mod I don't like because the HUD pitch ladder is part of the flight and other controls (e.g. pitch, angle, aiming, altitude, distance, long/lat co-ordinates, etc). I do however really like that there are no placeholders (i.e. blue circles or labels) as it means you actually fly the ship using instruments which is awesome! So the only question I have is whether there is any way to keep just the pitch ladder with its related information?

It might be possible to edit that shader. Best way is to circle things you want to keep and i'll try to edit it. But I fear it might be just one layer that have it all or nothing.

It might be possible to edit that shader. Best way is to circle things you want to keep and i'll try to edit it. But I fear it might be just one layer that have it all or nothing.

Ok, Ill test some more and see what I can up with. Hopefully some basic flight info can be kept. :)

EDIT: Did a bit more testing and took some screenshots that may help.

The following two screenshots show the Ship and SRV HUDs with the pitch ladder and aiming sight. Note that sight shown in the image for the ship is a scanner, but it could be any type of sight depending on the weapons or scanners fitted. The sight shown in the image for the SRV is the standard turret gun. Note also that the SRV still has a material scanner. In both screenshots I have placed a red square around the layer (items) that it would be preferable to keep if possible.

wAvTuX2.jpg
9AlXmDC.jpg
The following two screenshots show the Ship and SRV HUDs with the e61a98e9d493cdea-ps_replace.txt shader fix installed. I have made some text notes on the images pointing out the problem areas. Basically, in the case of the ship they relate to determining things like pitch and height (when approaching a planet surface and landing). I did not try any weapons, but suspect this will present problems without a gun sight, although gimballed weapons would help because they follow the target in any event. In the case of the SRV the main problem is the absence of the material scanner, which makes finding materials much harder (good?) and, to a lesser extent, the lack of a gun sight.

i4C7WTO.jpg
iEMWpHG.jpg
So hope this helps and with luck can mod the shader to keep these flight and gun cues (and material scanner) in the HUD. :)

FURTHER EDIT: Have done some more exploring with the max immersion (e61a98e9d493cdea-ps_replace.tx) shader installed and wanted to rave some more how awesome this shader mod is! Good examples (and putting aside the changes mentioned above) are:

- Can select an astronomical body in the system map or nav-panel but have to fly to it using the ship's instruments until close enough for a visual.
- No slow down cue based on the LS info in a circle place-marker. Instead have to gauge when to slow down using the ship's instruments having regard to distance/speed at the time.
- When flying down to a planet, no idea of its gravity. Have to check this in the system map or rely on flying experience.
- No altitude info or landing info, all visual (except for the coloured ship cue in the radar once the landing gear is down). Experience and care, particularly on the dark side - night vision is therefore useful and important given 3.3 lighting on dark areas is dark.
- When leaving the planet need to rely on experience to get the escape vector right and use the instruments to align the ship to enter super-cruise.
- No cue when entering hyper-drive. Need to line up for the jump using instruments.
- No "brown ring" when using FSS scanner (see screenshots below). Scanning the system is therefore a combination of moving the orange circle in the blue patches, tuning and visually spotting the planet. Harder (particularly when drilling down levels with the scanner), but all good in my view if you are not in a rush.

sUB4MLF.jpg
4Lg07Tr.jpg
There are probably other things but with the 3.3. changes to the lighting and cockpit, orbital lines off and this shader, now actually feel like I am flying and controlling the ship in space!! A real sense of having to fly carefully around stars and planets. This is without a pitch ladder, which is ok, but still inclined to keep some basic HUD info if possible, such as the ship's position (long/lat) and aiming sight and the SRV's material scanner and aiming sight as a minimum.

Last edited:
To me it seems that this shader is only touching up how it displays content not which one it display. Maybe someone who can code D3D ASM can limit rendering to just central square where UI is located and discard anything else, but different resolutions, aspects etc would probably cause this to break anyway.

Well while tinkering with it I added 3 more options for tweaking your interface.

8330ab10a104d1b1-ps_replace shuts off interrior lights
dcf4442f0c926aae-ps_replace turns off combat/discovery interface
ec77ba76560d17ce-ps_replace possible fix for fake star ambient light tint (turns it off)

Last edited:
Top Bottom