Abandoned Dust Buster: the space dust removal mod

Are those in the zip download now?

Turning off the interior lights and removing the fake ambient tint are two things I have longed to do since 3.3 came out!!!

Incidentally, which replacement shader removes the canopy smearing / grime effect (if any)? It used to be pleasingly limited to where light caught it, but since 3.3 it just blankets the window segments completely when they are lit. In an Asp, it looks like the windows of a shop that is closing down and has had that privacy whitewash painted over it...

Thanks for all your hard work, uliando! :)

There are 2 window cleaner shaders. Just read readme file. Optional shaders have readme file for 3 new shaders. Just redownload that zipfile. It have all the new stuff.

Just experiment which window cleaner works best for you.

Same location.
http://cpy.zapto.org/ed/Shaders/ShaderFixes.zip

Also anyone feel free to rehost this file. If my webserver gets shutdown for mysterious reasons, file won't be lost to the void.

Last edited:
To me it seems that this shader is only touching up how it displays content not which one it display. Maybe someone who can code D3D ASM can limit rendering to just central square where UI is located and discard anything else, but different resolutions, aspects etc would probably cause this to break anyway.

Well while tinkering with it I added 3 more options for tweaking your interface.

8330ab10a104d1b1-ps_replace shuts off interrior lights
dcf4442f0c926aae-ps_replace turns off combat/discovery interface
ec77ba76560d17ce-ps_replace possible fix for fake star ambient light tint (turns it off)

Thanks for taking a look at it... and more shaders! Hero :)

As regards the optional (new) shader fixes, I assume I just drop whatever ones I want to use in the existing "ShaderFixes" directory (as opposed to copying the "ShaderFixes optional" folder and files wholesale to the ED directory), but would be pleased if you could confirm the installation method that should be used to add new shaders.

EDIT: Worked it out. Just installed the optional shader fixes I wanted in the existing "Shader Fix" directory. As regards the optional shaders, did some limited testing:

- The "shuts off interior lights" worked but I like the interior lighting of the Orca so not using the shader ATM.
- Didn't try the "turn off combat/discovery interface" shader as need to use the HUD. For me would need a hot key to use this. I think ED has an existing key binding that turns off the HUD entirely (don't recall what the key is though).
- The "fix for fake star ambient light tint" should be used with caution IMO. It significantly changed the lighting, shadows and dark-side of planets introduced with 3.3 (basically dark areas are not as dark). So not using this shader as I like the 3.3 lighting overall, despite my criticism elsewhere of some of the 3.3 graphical changes.

However, would very much like more info and to hear other players experiences as regards the "fix for fake star ambient light tint" shader as this is potentially a good shader. There are a number of threads in the DD and VR sub-forums re the skybox tint. Solving some of the issues without wrecking the 3.3 lighting improvements would be massively cool. The issues seem to be (a) too much exposure or brightness, (b) colour tint pervading the inside ship cockpit and galaxy as a whole. and (c) loss of crispness due to some sort of overlay (white screen). The following post 3.3 threads are worth a read:

- Starlight tints background skybox-Lighting issues
- So who precisely of you fine folks had the vision of improving the graphics after 4 years
- Who turned off the quality

Note - have edited my post at #157 above to list some additional affects of the "max immersion" shader which I found since writing that post. Still liking the shader muchly :)

Last edited:
I like new lighting in 3.1, I just added it because people complained about it so I thought well maybe someone can find this useful.

Yeah I have to add note to optional shaders to copy them to shader folder.

Last edited:

Avago Earo

Banned
I tried putting this in to make the stars look like small points, but nothing changed:

10 PRINT ". . . . .. . . . . . . .. ... .... .... . . ..... . . . . ..... . ... . . .... .. .... ... . . ."
20 GOTO 10

I even went as far as typing RUN in the comms panel, but that didn't work either.

Last edited:
I tried putting this in to make the stars look like small points, but nothing changed:

10 PRINT ". . . . .. . . . . . . .. ... .... .... . . ..... . . . . ..... . ... . . .... .. .... ... . . ."
20 GOTO 10

I even went as far as typing RUN in the comms panel, but that didn't work either.

Ahh, that takes me right back to my Commodore Vic 20 days. Two lines of BASIC code... the only programming I ever learned. :)

BTW, kudos and rep to uliando for this great work. I look forward to purging the dread dust next time I play.

Last edited:
Is there any chance that someone could add the replacement shader for the removal of the station fog? I saw the possibility of replacing it in the vr forum, but wasn't savvy enough to change my known method of tweaking them.

Hey I tried the new shaderfixes and I am really confused. Which one takes away the camera lens flare? I think the old Squeegee mod took away the lens flare AND the dirt on the cockpit glass, correct?

I see there are two shaders which mention window cleaner but I do not know what each one does. What's the difference? the one ending in "d9" says it takes away super cruise target highlights? What's that?

The one ending in "cdea" apparently takes away something called supercruise glow?

Would you be able to just clarify which one does which and which one I want to use? I am only interested in removing the camera lens flare and the dust on the glass. Thanks!

Sorry, I meant the one ending in "c8e" apparently takes away something called supercruise glow. I am confused as to the difference between 8ce and d9, thanks.

I tried using this mod but it prevents the Steam Overlay from working. Which might not normally be a problem, but I do need the overlay to work so that I can use the on-screen keyboard and button menus that my gamepad is programmed to use.

I tried using this mod but it prevents the Steam Overlay from working. Which might not normally be a problem, but I do need the overlay to work so that I can use the on-screen keyboard and button menus that my gamepad is programmed to use.

I don't play steam version so, I can't tell you if it works or not. But that's something beyond what I could fix probably.

Last edited:

Try changing the name of the binary to d3d11.dll and see if that works.

Just to be clear then, installing is simply a case of copying the files into the ED-64 folder and running ED as normal (from Oculus for me)?
To uninstall I just run the uninstall batch file in the folder?
I am asking what might be obvious because I don't want to break ED what with it being pretty fragile anyway recently.
Thanks.

Alt+Ctrl+G
Does this also turn off the focus panels? I really like having them turn on when looked at, but have found that it gets in the way of navigation too often so I turned that option off. If this disables them, then I can try turning the option on and toggling the HUD.

Top Bottom