[DW2] Distant Worlds II - Waypoint Scouting Event

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

DW2 Waypoint Scouting Event - Now Open

The Distant Worlds II scouting event is now open and will end on September 1st 3304. The event is inclusive to all, whether or not you're taking part in the Distant Worlds II Expedition (scheduled for Q4 2018).

This event is primarily aimed at lone-wolf explorers to take part in, or individuals taking part in non-DW2 related expeditions currently out in the regions of interest. If you've already returned from a deep space excursion and have POIs you've discovered in the areas of interest, feel free to post them to this thread too. The DW2 organisation team kindly ask that players or groups to please refrain from setting up specific expeditions for the DW2 scouting missions, as we do not want to confuse this particular event with the main DW2 fleet event coming later this year.

Please also note that DW2 will have a set number of official waypoints, and among those will be included several of the DW1 waypoints (eg. Sag A* and Beagle Point). Therefore out of all the submissions posted to this thread, only about 15-20 will be incorporated into DW2. That means that many submissions (no matter how good they are) will not be used. We will however try and incorporate some of the rejected submissions into optional itinerary excursions for fleet members to visit during the main event later this year. In September Dr Kaii and Erimus will choose the official basecamps and major DW2 waypoints from the submissions entered, and the best of the rest will be added to EDSM by the Galactic Mapping Team.

What we need

Interesting stellar, planetary, or geological points of interest (POIs) located within the regions linked below, and close to or along the route line on the map below.

When posting a submission to this thread you need to provide the following information in the following format:

• Your CMDR Name
  • Your DW2 Fleet Roster Number (if you're part of the fleet). Found here : Link

- Put ALL of the following in spoilers -

If submitting an interesting waypoint POI;

• The exact system name of your POI submission
  • Planetary body reference (if relevant)
  • A minimum of 2 screenshots of your POI (inc. one of the system map)
  • Write a short description of your POI

If submitting a potential basecamp location;

• System name
  • Planetary Body
  • Surface Location Coords
  • Gravity
  • Include a Landing Guide (see this example)
  • One or two screenshots from the surface location
- Put ALL of the above in spoilers -

1. Also remember to name your POI. The GMP team will vette names and reserve the right to rename submissions.
  2. If you want first discovery tags on your entry, delay submitting your entry to this thread until after you've sold your exploration data!
  3. Alternatively, if you want to submit your locations privately without divulging their whereabouts to the wider community at the moment, feel free to PM them to Erimus Kamzel; Here.

POIs that are of particular interest

For basecamp locations, ideally...

• Worlds within or close to nebulae
  • Planetary Nebula systems
  • Black Hole or Neutron Star systems with interesting planetary bodies (the closer to the black hole or neutron star the better - preferably tidally locked worlds)
  • Giant Stars or Super Giants with close orbiting worlds
  • Potato (or Plutonian) Worlds
  • Ice Worlds with striking features
  • Geologically active locations (geysers or fumarole sites)
  • Tidally locked worlds with stunning background vistas (i.e. nearby gas giants, trojan worlds, interesting skyboxes etc).

Note that once the Q4 geological upgrades are introduced, chosen basecamps may be subject to change if more interesting locations are generated.

For interesting mining operation locations (should the CG or megaship refueling proposal be accepted by FD)...

• Ringed Neutron Stars
  • Ringed Earth-Like Worlds
  • Ringed Stars or Proto-Stars
  • Worlds with perpetually illuminated ring systems
  • Any other interesting or unusual mining locations
  • Or systems containing both metallic-based and ice-based ring systems

Regions through which the Distant Worlds II Expedition will travel...

Overview Map :

9LskGi2.png

Scouting for DW2 will follow the exact same process I used when scouting for DW1 - effectively tracing a draft route across the galaxy, and trying to stick within two thousand light year 'corridors' either side of the intended route. This will give scouts a set of narrowed down areas of interest to explore to keep things from deviating too far and wide from the intended path. Use these highlighted 'corridors' on the regional maps in spoilers below as your scouting location guides. Use the linked regional headers to bring up the EDSM map - these may come in handy for pinpointing previously mapped POIs to use as reference guides when out in the black.

Ideally your submitted locations should be within the green highlighted regions - but if you know of or locate exceptional POIs beyond those areas, please also submit those too.

Link: The Sagittari Conflux

qCefGT1.jpg

Link: The Sidereal Wall

Xlw8fdp.jpg

Link: The Galactic Core

6k1bTPh.jpg

Link: Perseus Stem

0XmgknM.jpg

Link: The Bleak Lands

obswcNY.jpg

Link: The Galactic Aphelion

FLOqWWT.jpg

Link: The Abyss

BgoHaDQ.jpg

Link: The Solitude Void

6OYqmDk.jpg

Link: Silentium

psPy8YU.jpg

Link: The Tyros Ridge

ofKEP1F.jpg

Link: The Ascendance

Zr7bEIp.jpg

Link: The Gallipolis

fgt86uB.jpg

Link: The Norma Expanse

Udf4lr3.jpg

All submissions need to be posted to this thread before September 1st 3304

Last edited:
DUMBOI YJ-A E339

A planetary nebula with a neutron main star. The system is similar to Spirograph. Stunning inside. Halfway between Colonia and Sagittarius A*

Last edited:
DUMBOI OX-B C965

A planetary nebula with a neutron main star. The system is similar to Spirograph. Stunning inside. Halfway between Colonia and Sagittarius A*

Need pics and more details. :p

We won't be accepting submissions unless they're posted with the needed detailed info as outlined in the OP (and re-posted below)...

When posting a submission to this thread you need to provide the following information in the following format:

• Your CMDR Name
  • Your DW2 Fleet Roster Number (if you're part of the fleet). Found here : Link

- Put ALL of the following in spoilers -

If submitting an interesting waypoint POI;

• The exact system name of your POI submission
  • Planetary body reference (if relevant)
  • A minimum of 2 screenshots of your POI (inc. one of the system map)
  • Write a short description of your POI

If submitting a potential basecamp location;

• System name
  • Planetary Body
  • Surface Location Coords
  • Gravity
  • Include a Landing Guide (see this example)
  • One or two screenshots from the surface location
- Put ALL of the above in spoilers -

Last edited:
DUMBOI OX-B C965

Dumboi YJ-A E339 is the neutron star system, but OX-B C965 should offer spectacular views.

CMDR OneOldDuck providing an interesting waypoint, discovered when I took the "scenic route" home from the Enigma Expedition.

DVb87kAWkAAYO3O.jpg:large

DZseR9fWAAAjT_T.jpg:large

DZse9D1X0AAQuhW.jpg:large

System: KYLOABS JY-G D11-1745

Planet: 2nd planet, a ringed water world with a bright blue nebula as a backdrop (though entire system is pretty nice)

Description: This screenshot won a paint pack from Frontier, and it's set near an elusive nebula that very few people have visited based on lack of discovery tags when I explored the surrounding systems. This system is found in the edge of the galactic core, so star density is high, but not as high as the core itself. At the center of the nebula is a neutron star and a variety of interesting worlds, a great place to supercharge your FSD for your next jump.

Extra Perks: One of the rings of this water world is a pristine metallic ring (good for mining I believe). Also, I must have been in a hurry that day because I left most of the planets in this system undiscovered, so there are opportunities for people to tag these planets with their name (first come, first serve).

UPDATE - this POI also offers a good mining candidate - see 'extra perks' inside spoiler tag.

EDIT: This might be outside DW2 travel corridor, which I didn't realize when I first posted here. If it is, I don't think it's terribly far off course. I'm on PS4, so I only have the in-game galaxy map to try to visualize the DW2 route in relation to my own bookmarks.

Last edited:
I just got into position yesterday, circa 5.8k ly north of Sag A and will now make my way up to Beagle Point while looking for the things described above :)

CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
DW2 roster number: N/A (yet)

Waypoint POI: Neighbouring Necklaces (existing GMP planetary POI)
Vegnoae BK-R d4-1105
Planets A1 and A2 are a ringed binary pair of worlds close to their parent star that orbit so close together that their rings are nearly touching.
FtKXI5W.jpg

i65LZBB.jpg
-----------------------------------------------
Waypoint POI: Close Cousins (existing GMP planetary POI)
Pyuefua XO-P b39-1
Planet A2 is a small high metal content world with an orbital path that brings it close to the class IV gas giant planet A1, yet it is not gravitationally bound to the planet but the star. The orbital periods of both worlds are short enough that from the surface of planet A2, its neighbour passes overhead quickly.
AHa9IFG.jpg

D9Cbus4.jpg
-----------------------------------------------
Base Camp POI
Waypoint POI: Wanderlust's Rest
Hatchoi DS-Y b29-0 2 15.2872 / -109.4058 (surface gravity: 0.16 g)
This is the crash site of Tom the Keelback, lost here Jan 4th 3303 whilst attempting to reach Beagle Point. Tom was carrying the Distant Worlds Legacy, 'Wanderlust'.
bG4EJHu.jpg

kxPjS90.jpg

F3miDTJ.jpg
Further details can be found from Tom's (CMDR Miepit) diary here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...Beagle-Point?p=4962590&viewfull=1#post4962590
The crash site is located in a plains region, close to a blue-coloured canyon but with no harsh terrain. I am not sure how to identify the planetary co-ordinates from the planetary surface view so I can only provide a screenshot of that view.
--------------------------------------------------
Waypoint POI: Misty Island
Thuechu FW-C d90
The moon AB 5a is a terraformable water world moon that has a landable moon of its own in an extremely close orbit. When eclipsed, the craters on this moon fill with dense mist, creating an eerie sight with the shadow of the water world looming large in the sky.
oq2UWcO.jpg

fDaKJ0J.jpg

Additional images: https://imgur.com/a/B7uCT
further details: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...x-Expedition?p=6188782&viewfull=1#post6188782
The DW2 route from the Perseus Stem to the Galactic Aphelion regions is similar to the path I took from the borders of Bleia to Praei on the Aronnax Expedition, so the locations I found near those two permit-locked regions (both really collections of permit-locked regions) and during the journey between them are close to the route. The above are the main highlights from this part of the expedition. If anyone is interested, there might be additional locations of interest in the reports for these regions:
Bleia: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...x-Expedition?p=6152336&viewfull=1#post6152336
Praei: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...x-Expedition?p=6206665&viewfull=1#post6206665

I may have to look through my old screenshots and see if anything I've been to already will work. One possibility comes to mind, which I added to the GMP as Undine Haven, a system with 6 terraformable water worlds, but that might not be interesting enough. It was in the NW quadrant of the core region, not too far outside the orange line on the expedition map.

But this might also be a good kick in the pants for me to go zipping around the map again soon. :)

Last edited:
Looking forward to participating in this, have to finish my current trip first as I'm nowhere near the planned DW2 route at the moment [smile]

And with this I am heading off into the black, mission accepted!!! Truthfully I'm already out beyond the Cat's Eye Nebula so I'll just change direction a bit and push further outward now.

I doubt I'll be back to the bubble until the Q4 update lands honestly.

About 350 jumps from The Ascendance area, and was heading that general direction anyways. Time to get out of Economic mode and into overdrive. Will check the EOCL BLUAE JQ-Y D0 nebula on my way to Ascendance proper.

Been looking forward to the scouting run just as much as DW2. Shame real life is getting in the way and I can not put in the time.

Best of luck to all the scouts. o7

And please, no spoilers.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom