[DW2] Epilogue, Acknowledgements, DW Speculation & Organisation

I was a bit surprised to see DW3 speculation here, but yeah, it's something that needs to be said. I'll go a bit farther and voice the grumbling that has come from a not-insignificant number of expedition participants as well, aimed at FD: there was barely anything new to be discovered. Looking back on it now that the expedition's mostly over, it's true: the only new finds were the Aster trees and pods. Whatever else has been discovered has been there already, and not added with the Chapter Four exploration update.
On one hand, I'm grateful that the developers have stepped in and gave so much in-game support to the expedition. On the other, I'm disappointed that they got the hopes of many people up, and then let us down.
That the expedition was a success despite this is a testament to all the work that the organisers and the players in general have put into it. Once again, congratulations!

All this should serve as a good indicator to Frontier that there is real demand and appetite for more exploration gameplay(!) and content, from plenty of players.

50 expeditions before DW2 already indicated said appetite.

giphy.gif

50 expeditions before DW2 already indicated said appetite.
Let's see. Looking at EDSM's numbers, the average amount of participants on the non-DW expeditions was 85.47, and the median being 44. (If we include DW1: 99.23 and 44.5.)
FD could have always pointed at that (and internally, probably did) to say that only some hundreds of players are interested in exploration expeditions. That wouldn't work anymore.

The closest the Voyager Trail gets to the Explorers Anchorage is the Aether Nebula (GalMap Ref: Eorm Phyloi OY-Z d37), which is around 12,000 LYs away from the Station. Alternatively if you follow the DW1 route instead, which is listed too, that will take you through the core as Sag A* is one of its WPs.
Thanks for the info. This has been an unforgettable experience.

Let's see. Looking at EDSM's numbers, the average amount of participants on the non-DW expeditions was 85.47, and the median being 44. (If we include DW1: 99.23 and 44.5.)
FD could have always pointed at that (and internally, probably did) to say that only some hundreds of players are interested in exploration expeditions. That wouldn't work anymore.

I hope you're right. I think it's also worth bearing in mind that FD are often (understandably) most interested in getting new players in, and it seems to me that a great many new players joined this expedition and made it at least as far as SagA. If these forums are a reasonable sample, a good number made it the whole way. Which is fantastic.

So, yeah, exploration is a commercially and numerically worthwhile part of the game, and hopefully FD will give us some more love in future.

(Also, as a side point, if any new player who went on this expedition is reading: well done! I'd never have tried something this big when I first started, so kudos to you.)

Thank you very much to the organizing team! This is my first expedition and I am very happy to have participated. I made new friends and made some nice discoveries. I can not wait to participate in the next DW3 if there is one! Now it's time to go home via the way home! fly safe all Cmdrs and see you in the dark! O7
https://inara.cz/cmdr/80310/

Last edited:
Suggested route to take if one wants to go all in and touch all the Voyager Trail waypoints and the POIs listed in the opening post of this topic:

WAYPOINTSYSTEMDistance from previous WP (in LY)
Beagle PointBeagle Point
Voyager's ReachByoo Briae CW-C C26-0
22461​
Voyager's Trail WP1Byoo Briae TY-Q C18-0
343​
Voyager's Trail WP2Byoo Briae LF-P B19-0
397​
Voyager's Trail WP3Bla Byoe KM-N A116-0
471​
Voyager's Trail WP4Prie Chrea OO-Z D13-9
7506​
Voyager's Trail WP5Prie Chrea RJ-I D9-15
459​
Voyager's Trail WP6Prie Chrea FP-V B29-0
235​
Voyager's Trail WP7Prie Chrea WC-Z B26-1
0​
Voyager's Trail WP8Hyiechiae IY-F B38-0
2028​
Voyager's Trail WP9Hyiechiae MN-S C17-2
58​
Sisyphos' RockHyiechou AI-J b36-0
3027​
Voyager's Trail WP10Plae Free CW-E C11-80
8655​
Voyager's Trail WP11Plae Free JS-K C8-34
162​
Proximity RockBleethuia FF-A e1
3247​
Blue Peach NebulaLyaisai PS-U e2-160
11354​
RattlaRotheau SZ-O e6-895
1960​
Aether NebulaEorm Phyloi OY-Z d37
5010​
Voyager's Trail WP12Eos Chruia XS-T B7-2
2366​
Voyager's Trail WP13Eos Chruia LG-C C1-16
103​
Voyager's Trail WP14Pheia Auscs GY-A B59-26
71​
Voyager's Trail WP15Pheia Auscs DF-S B49-12
251​
Voyager's Trail WP16Pheia Auscs TH-X B46-30
58​
Voyager's Trail WP17Pheia Auscs BX-P B21-0
647​
Voyager's Trail WP18Pheia Auscs TQ-I B9-51
495​
Voyager's Trail WP19Hypio Prao NZ-J C24-88
649​
Phroea Ploe Nebula ClusterPhroea Ploe PD-B e2165
4106​
Shrogaee NebulaShrogaae LB-C c14-1067
2162​
The Brain ForestShrogaae KK-A d983
683​
Guardian ruins - Teal Nebula sitesEorl Auwsy SY-Z d13-3468
74​
Singularities PlaygroundMynoaw AA-A h26
2366​
Isegrim NebulaGreae Phoea QF-I c25-150
2040​
Guardian ruins - Hollow Veil sitesBlaa Hypai LZ-F b27-0
5619​
AngeronaPlio Aihm ML-P d5-307
2982​
V1033 ScorpiiV1033 Scorpii
2006​
Red Storm GeysersCat's Paw Sector HR-W d1-31
2624​
Morgan's Rock Asteroid BaseNGC 6188 Sector LC-V c2-28
1626​
TarkBlu Thua JS-J d9-1
2133​
The Stranded Snake (Anaconda settlement)HR 5906
2062​
PallaeniPallaeni
277​
Voyager's Trail WP20Sol
177​

All the waypoints on the biiiiig map (red dot - Pallaeni, green dot - Beagle Point, yellow dots are the expedition waypoints, blue dots are the Voyager Trail waypoints, orange dots are the POIs suggested on the way back). Note: The Stranded Snake waypoint and Sol are not shown, because they'd totally overlap the Pallaeni waypoint. Also Voyager's Trail WP7, which is Prie Chrea WC-Z B26-1 is a strange one. It is listed on the Voyager Trail, but apparently is not in EDSM, so its coordinates I couldn't find, that's why it is listed in the table as being 0 LY from the previous waypoint. Illuminati confirmed! I'm totally calling that Raxxla is in Prie Chrea WC-Z B26-1, true story!
Background map is by CMDR Corbin Moran.

VVuO4fP.jpg

Suggested route to take if one wants to go all in and touch all the Voyager Trail waypoints and the POIs listed in the opening post of this topic:

WAYPOINTSYSTEMDistance from previous WP (in LY)
Beagle PointBeagle Point
Voyager's ReachByoo Briae CW-C C26-0
22461​
Voyager's Trail WP1Byoo Briae TY-Q C18-0
343​
Voyager's Trail WP2Byoo Briae LF-P B19-0
397​
Voyager's Trail WP3Bla Byoe KM-N A116-0
471​
Voyager's Trail WP4Prie Chrea OO-Z D13-9
7506​
Voyager's Trail WP5Prie Chrea RJ-I D9-15
459​
Voyager's Trail WP6Prie Chrea FP-V B29-0
235​
Voyager's Trail WP7Prie Chrea WC-Z B26-1
0​
Voyager's Trail WP8Hyiechiae IY-F B38-0
2028​
Voyager's Trail WP9Hyiechiae MN-S C17-2
58​
Sisyphos' RockHyiechou AI-J b36-0
3027​
Voyager's Trail WP10Plae Free CW-E C11-80
8655​
Voyager's Trail WP11Plae Free JS-K C8-34
162​
Proximity RockBleethuia FF-A e1
3247​
Blue Peach NebulaLyaisai PS-U e2-160
11354​
RattlaRotheau SZ-O e6-895
1960​
Aether NebulaEorm Phyloi OY-Z d37
5010​
Voyager's Trail WP12Eos Chruia XS-T B7-2
2366​
Voyager's Trail WP13Eos Chruia LG-C C1-16
103​
Voyager's Trail WP14Pheia Auscs GY-A B59-26
71​
Voyager's Trail WP15Pheia Auscs DF-S B49-12
251​
Voyager's Trail WP16Pheia Auscs TH-X B46-30
58​
Voyager's Trail WP17Pheia Auscs BX-P B21-0
647​
Voyager's Trail WP18Pheia Auscs TQ-I B9-51
495​
Voyager's Trail WP19Hypio Prao NZ-J C24-88
649​
Phroea Ploe Nebula ClusterPhroea Ploe PD-B e2165
4106​
Shrogaee NebulaShrogaae LB-C c14-1067
2162​
The Brain ForestShrogaae KK-A d983
683​
Guardian ruins - Teal Nebula sitesEorl Auwsy SY-Z d13-3468
74​
Singularities PlaygroundMynoaw AA-A h26
2366​
Isegrim NebulaGreae Phoea QF-I c25-150
2040​
Guardian ruins - Hollow Veil sitesBlaa Hypai LZ-F b27-0
5619​
AngeronaPlio Aihm ML-P d5-307
2982​
V1033 ScorpiiV1033 Scorpii
2006​
Red Storm GeysersCat's Paw Sector HR-W d1-31
2624​
Morgan's Rock Asteroid BaseNGC 6188 Sector LC-V c2-28
1626​
TarkBlu Thua JS-J d9-1
2133​
The Stranded Snake (Anaconda settlement)HR 5906
2062​
PallaeniPallaeni
277​
Voyager's Trail WP20Sol
177​

All the waypoints on the biiiiig map (red dot - Pallaeni, green dot - Beagle Point, yellow dots are the expedition waypoints, blue dots are the Voyager Trail waypoints, orange dots are the POIs suggested on the way back). Note: The Stranded Snake waypoint and Sol are not shown, because they'd totally overlap the Pallaeni waypoint. Also Voyager's Trail WP7, which is Prie Chrea WC-Z B26-1 is a strange one. It is listed on the Voyager Trail, but apparently is not in EDSM, so its coordinates I couldn't find, that's why it is listed in the table as being 0 LY from the previous waypoint. Illuminati confirmed! I'm totally calling that Raxxla is in Prie Chrea WC-Z B26-1, true story!
Background map is by CMDR Corbin Moran.

VVuO4fP.jpg
Recreated the route in EDSM, including the "optional" waypoints that come after the main ones:

Also @Erimus Kamzel I recreated the routes of DW1 and DW2:

I wonder what percentage of the player base we took away from the bubble?

If Steam Charts show an average of about 5k players on a daily basis, assuming that Steam is broadly half the PC playerbase, and the consoles have both lower daily numbers, I suppose 15k-20k daily players is a good estimate. I reckon 10k went on the first leg of the journey at least.

Are those the concurrent player numbers? It's hard to draw conclusions from that, since usually the concurrency is pretty small compared to overall active users, like < 5%.

Watching Orvidius' DW2 heatmap video seem to show lots of other exploration everywhere in the galaxy happening during dw2. (based on edsm of course)
I thought DW2 would have recruited nearly all explo focused Cmdrs, but it seems although it had that many participants it was just a fraction even of the exploration fans so I don't think an impact to the bubble wasn't really noticeable...
I also may be wrong and don't have any solid numbers :)

Last edited:
Thanks to all the organisers, you have done a fantastic job of getting this arranged and running. This has been a fun journey, and I have made a few new friends along the way. As I am in no hurry to get home, may take a look at the route you have suggested, thanks for that and it shows the dedication and planning you all have put into this.

See you all in the black, and it has been a pleasure to join you on this adventure.

I've had a fabulous time. And plan to have more fabulous times in the weeks to come working my way home with my new found in game friends.We are still negotiating over the route... should be interesting. :)

For me the highlight of the trip was the two Community Goals. It combined mining (one of my favourite Elite things), and CG's (another of my favourite Elite things), with a truly meaningful goal (first time ever for me in game), and an absolutely massive community to participate with in completing it. I was grouping up almost continuously for the entire two weeks these events ran. So much fun. Had an absolute blast.

Can we please get Qohen's wonderful Community Goal logo on a piece of memorabilia (or a ship decal - I'd pay for that)? Along with the Mug Club Ski Team I joined, the community goals are what I think about everytime I think of DW2. They completely changed the way I prepared for this expedition, the ship I selected to take, and had a large influence on the friends I made on the trip.

Thankyou again - really can't say that enough. o7

Top Bottom