[DW2] DW2 Megaship

Does anyone know if the new Megaship will jump with the DW2 fleet, or it will stay near Sagittarius A*?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm under the impression that the new megaship (and installation) aren't in-game yet. The one that was already added is the Grim Pioneer, the prison ship for the core.

The megaship and science installation will probably appear this thursday, but we don't know for 100 %. However the Explorer's Anchorage Starport will be finished this thursday.

Is there really another megaship coming, or is Grim Pioneer the one DW2 will get? :x

Last edited:
ok so that answers the question of there being a Megaship, but is it coming with us? or are we getting excited over nothing?

Aren't they limited to 500-something lightyears per week? My expectation is that it will just get parked somewhere, based on how they've usually done things.

There are megaships that jump between Colonia and Rohini (I think that's about the furthest) so they can jump > 500 Ly. The Gnosis is limited to 550 Ly / jump, but that is a special case. Not sure why people think having a non-dockable megaship jump between waypoints would add to the expedition...

(Knowing fDev it would probably have a flight plan that would leak the whole expedition route :) )

Last edited:
oh thats a shame. apparently we wont be able to dock on the thing but still would of been nice to of had a massive piece of metal to base camp around.

oh thats a shame. apparently we wont be able to dock on the thing but still would of been nice to of had a massive piece of metal to base camp around.

Yeah, the original expedition proposal I wrote had one coming along on the journey with the fleet, jumping to waypoints along the way, acting as the flagship and a base of operations as we crossed the galaxy. Unfortunately that wasn't possible for this journey, so it'll remain in the Galactic Core.

Hopefully something for DW3, that and Carriers. It would certainly add a new dimension of logistical support for deep space operations - depending on what FDev have planned for them :)

Aren't they limited to 500-something lightyears per week? My expectation is that it will just get parked somewhere, based on how they've usually done things.
Dockable megaships appear to be limited to 500 LY / week.

Non-dockable megaships can go faster - the largest single distance on record is by the Hogan Class Bulk Freighter ELI-272, which goes from Colonia to Kaline (~22,000 LY) in a single step (next departure 23 May), though takes 2 weeks rather than the usual 1 week to refuel between stops.

I doubt this ship will need to make much use of those capabilities, though.

One thing that does worry me a little is that once everyone has got to Beagle Point, a lot of people might say, "right that's it I'm taking a break from E: D until 2020", which is fair enough.However, just imagine a couple of months later they get the itch to play again, log in and then remember that they are on the other side of the galaxy and not willing to get back to the bubble, just log off.

Do you think it would be an idea that once a week, the DW2 mega-ship would be available at Beagle point so that it could carry players back to to Sol (one way only) so they could get involved in the bubble again?

One thing that does worry me a little is that once everyone has got to Beagle Point, a lot of people might say, "right that's it I'm taking a break from E: D until 2020", which is fair enough.However, just imagine a couple of months later they get the itch to play again, log in and then remember that they are on the other side of the galaxy and not willing to get back to the bubble, just log off.

Do you think it would be an idea that once a week, the DW2 mega-ship would be available at Beagle point so that it could carry players back to to Sol (one way only) so they could get involved in the bubble again?

Not a bad idea in theory but I see a glaring issue with that.
If you leave your ship at beagle, where are you going to turn in all that explo data for those hard earned credits? Would they transfer back to Sol with the player?
Or were you meaning, they go back docked in the mega ship?

OK, so, are these stations that have been appearing, is this a thing for each waypoint? I was kinda surprised yesterday when I jumped back to where a station had been, and magically - gone.

Z...

I'm not sure what you are talking about. The only station we got is Explorer's Anchorage. That is going to stay and a new megaship and science installation are about to appear nearby. But there have been no further stations "appearing" at any waypoint yet.

It would be nice to have a ship waiting for us several kLYs before we enter the bubble. Unannounced, naturally, so that DG isn't alarmed about where to hunt us down before we turn in the data. If we do happen to make a mistake and go open...

Top Bottom