Distant Worlds II Event DW2: The View did an Admiral Ackbar on me

So, the epic journey began.

And, Server Massacre Missions apart (well done everyone for that [haha], your payouts await you back in the bubble), it was going smoothly. I even had a wing invite and accepted.

So I'm chatting and listening and viewing The View. Hadn't been here before.

Ohhh, nice looking planet.

If I get closer I can scan the tourist beacon.

Annnndddddddd.....It's a Trap!

A 3G trap!

By the time the harmless sounding View was done with Excelsior, my ship had 45% hull left and most of the systems battered. This is on a ship with Grade 5 Heavy Duty Armour mods on lightweight hull and over 1500 Hull Integrity. Shields? Gone. FSB Booster? Gone. Sensors? Gone. Lavian Brandy? Intact (thank god!).

Fortunately I'm a registered Hull Seal with dual (but damaged) AFMUs, so was able to repair my ship, but I still went 1K LY off course in order to fix the power plant at the nearest station. It only took 2% worth of damager but that's significant for my ship just 4 hours into this epic journey.

So, be careful out there, Commanders. For the unaware, The View has no mercy. I trust I gave the nearby Xbox Commanders planet-side a jolly good show of how not to land in high-G. [haha]:D

Last edited:
Good to hear things went well!

FYI, you can also fix your powerplant at WP2, there's a base with repair facilities and outfitting there.

Doh

I wish I could've joined DW2, but even if I had been back in the bubble, lately I haven't been able to dedicate much time to ED. I'd easily fall behind.

Heh, I was winged up with a few other PS4 commanders.

As we were nearing the surface I casually mentioned "Oh yeah, by the way this is a 3.3G planet."

"What?!?! Oh, shiii.....!" came over comms. XD

Luckily they were able to save the landing mostly and only dropped to 71% hull. Still quite amusing. Three of us had repair capabilities there so we fixed him up quick. XD

3.3 isn't very high.

If you're interested in picking up some tips on high gravity landings, check the link in my signature.

True, in the grand scheme of things it isn't, but you would be surprised how many people don't check the G readout on the their HUD before trying to land. I am on my way to BP and landed safely on a half a dozen relatively high grav worlds recently with nary a problem, but I have learned my lessons and always check the G readout now :D

Last edited:
3.3 isn't very high.

If you're interested in picking up some tips on high gravity landings, check the link in my signature.

I did and I must say your page is full of very useful info. I did the 9.77G landing, the KB&M makes the slow low angle touchdown the (IMO) most practical and it is least dangerous in general, for other stuff I'd need to be a pro and handle the analog thrust.

I knew about thrust cheating but I didn't know that it is only applied to up and main thrusters. Now did I know about the boosting slowdown! Thanks.

Doh

I wish I could've joined DW2, but even if I had been back in the bubble, lately I haven't been able to dedicate much time to ED. I'd easily fall behind.

Real life decided it wanted more attention when I was planning on going to the DW2 starting point, and then yesterday's server fiasco happened during the sole window I had to play games, so I'm heading straight to waypoint 2. On a normal week, I'm lucky if I get to play this game for five hours, but I'm still going.

I'm sure there will be plenty of stragglers like me out there waving their arms at the main pack and shouting, "Wait for me!" :D It'll make encountering them at the abandoned base camps much more interesting. [yesnod]

One issue with the tourist beacon is it doesn't follow the standard planet landing process. You get the "safe to disengage" message rather than the glide then land process.

Looks like we'll pass close to another station at the nebula coming up, but hillary depot isn't far as you noticed.

Last edited:
Yeah, plenty of stations to choose from for a while actually. Until we're done with the CG at WP2, we'll have Omega itself, but also bases in the whole area until then, at Eagle, Lagoon, Trifid, and NGC 6188. And if you need a shipyard, the nearest will be in Rohini, just a little further up the Colonia road.

I was at The View last night. Bounced three times before my Anaconda blew. :(

Very embarrassing. A kindly soul was trying to give me some advice but it must have looked like an ape was flying the ship!

Headed straight back out there and landed perfectly (if VERY SLOWLY!).

Should be an Xbox achievement for that!

Good to hear things went well!

FYI, you can also fix your powerplant at WP2, there's a base with repair facilities and outfitting there.

I went to Mammon, there's an asteroid base there with good repair facilities and nice cups of tea.

3.3 isn't very high.

Thanks, I have zero experience of High-G landings.......until now.

In my defence, I'm on console (Xbox) and we can't change the colour of the HUD. At the moment its difficult to read the gravity figure when close to a planet.

Yeah, plenty of stations to choose from for a while actually. Until we're done with the CG at WP2, we'll have Omega itself, but also bases in the whole area until then, at Eagle, Lagoon, Trifid, and NGC 6188. And if you need a shipyard, the nearest will be in Rohini, just a little further up the Colonia road.

Cheers, but all fixed up now. Going to WP2 and doing loads of scanning on the way.

I was at The View last night. Bounced three times before my Anaconda blew. :(

Very embarrassing. A kindly soul was trying to give me some advice but it must have looked like an ape was flying the ship!

Headed straight back out there and landed perfectly (if VERY SLOWLY!).

Should be an Xbox achievement for that!

Agreed. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom