Ships Dying for Grid Resistors

I am sorry FDEV's. Death should not be something that happens without a massive dose of stupidity when looking for any "very common" item. Grid resistors must be the most uncommon very common thing in the game.
They are supposed to be found at Ship salvage (Military & authority ships), USS, and as Mission rewards.
Beside Dav's Hope, and even there they are very uncommon, the only place I have ever found them is in Threat Level 3 Degraded Emissions USS. The only "missions" where I have seen to offered as a reward required killing someone.
Reading around I saw that supposedly if you go to a CZ but you are neutral, empty cargo hold and you keep your weapons to yourself, you can swoop around picking up mats and components unharmed.
Maybe you could in the past, but I was done in in less than 10 seconds when I tried it. Nothing but Navy ships and Rebel forces in the fight and both of them called an immediate truce and locked on me.
So. Either I keep grinding the Degraded Emissions or slog it down to Dav's or slog off to a broker someplace and see if I have something to trade.

It's always been bad to be neutral in a CZ. Grid Resistors are G1 mats, so go get any of the easier to get G2 or higher mats and trade down.

It's always been bad to be neutral in a CZ. Grid Resistors are G1 mats, so go get any of the easier to get G2 or higher mats and trade down.
Well. Either the map filters function is broken, or changed. I used to be able to use the filters to find black markets even if I had never visited the system. Now the only time anything shows up in a filtered map is if I have already visited the system and as best I can tell, the nearest Manufactured Materials Trader is 700LY away. So that would be a 1400 LY slog to get 1 grid resistor to finish a Power Plant upgrade. There has to be a better way.

For whatever reason FD decided Mat Traders would only show if you've visited them. They also only show in a 40LY radius last I checked so if you're seeing them that far away that would be an improvement.

Use inara to check for the nearest mat trader.

the nearest Manufactured Materials Trader is 700LY away
say what? :) sorry, but where are you at the moment? I've never even heard about Dav's Hope, because the material traders are easy to reach in the bubble. Manufactured materials at Patterson enterprise in Sirius, software at Bursch Enterprise in Saktsak. Raw materials trader forgotten, cause all is stored as favorites in the game. but it's never more than 50 LYs from Barnard's Star. Im at the moment in Cubeo/Pira, grinding for the Cuttter, and the only reason I've to travel ca. 200 LY to the traders is, that I'm too lazy to search for them in the Aislings territory. But I've planned to do it probably this weekend, because Zakariah Nemo sits there.

Re: Inara and other outside the game places.
As I said. I can remember when I could filter for Black Markets and even if I had not visited the system, if it had been fully explored, they would show up on the map but I could not use the system details map to see what was in the system. There may have been a distance limit. Not sure but I do remember that I could see the Black Markets at systems I had visited well beyond 40ly. I know about the BM's because there was something I needed to do that included selling stuff at Black Markets.
The one Manufactured Materials Trader I mentioned is one I have book marked but it doesn't show on the filtered map so I suspect there is at least now, a distance limit.
Several stupid things now come to mind.
1. Why did all 2000+ of my previously visited systems, many within the 40 ly of Farseer Inc revert to "UNVISITED" when the new FSS tools were released?
2. Why would things in fully explored systems, visited or not, not show up in the filtered maps now when they did in the past?
3. Why would the DEV apparently deliberately, force people out to 3rd party sites?

Number 3 is important to me since I do not intend to EVER have Win10 on my computer because of all the built in back doors and MS claiming IT owns a big piece of my bandwidth/data allotment simply because I have Win10 on my computer. So later this year I will continue be playing the game on my Win7 machine. At present, it seems likely that since I have only Pro/Ultimate windows machines that I will be able to continue to manually access and install Win 7 Enterprise Security updates. If not, I will be severely limiting the places I go on the web to try and stay safe since it has LONG been the practice of hackers to target gamers through the 3rd party web sites they visit to learn cheats and hints.

I am going to get around part of the limitation by getting a Linux Machine up and running sitting next to my Win7 gaming machines so if I simply MUST go to a 3rd party site, I will be able to do it on that machine.
OR
I may see if I can set up a TOR/Onion browser on the Win7 machine to visit the 3rd party sites with.

I did finally give up about 24 hours ago and use Inara to find a Manufactured Materials trader about 25LY from Farseer Inc in a system I had previously visited. I know I had been there because I had flagged it because it is a system with a 33% metal planet with a couple hard to find elements on it.

Regarding Dav's. It and several other special places are where you can get a wide variety of materials without having to do anything more than wander around in your SRV and pick them up. There are also data points at some of them that everytime you log out/in they will give up some new data that can be useful.

I have been given several tips on where to find grid resistors and went to every one of them and came up with zippo every single time. I think it's crapola..

For those that might be looking for answers to gathering mats.
This Dummies Guide is awesome. It taught me everything I needed to know. The commander who wrote that knew his/her stuff.

Top Bottom