ED and the Oculus Rift DK1 Discussion Thread

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Isn't the Developer kit just the basic kit for allowing developers to get it working and testing it with their games rather than for consumers? From what I've heard it's really low res, the consumer version will be much higher.

Also pre-ordered

I have one pre-ordered, and plan to help port some friends games to it in March or so. Should be interesting, although I'm not going to expect support from E:D at this early stage in its life.

Yup

getting one of the Developer kits here.
interested in the game aspect, if it is light and responsive, i'ts a game changer.

I'm also interested in how it can handle 3d vis for geoscience applications.

Waiting on the consumer version. By then most of the initial design goofs should be fixed and I suspect that a much better performing screen will be included.

My only concern with these types of displays is the resolution. I quite like my 1080p 3d screen for instance. I understand this is a different type of thing though.

Waiting on the consumer version. By then most of the initial design goofs should be fixed and I suspect that a much better performing screen will be included.

Yep, same here. Money is ready just waiting for the commercial release. Already have a leapmotion pre-ordered so am very much looking forward to hooking those two devices up!

I would so love to be able to freely look over my shoulder to see behind my ship, rather than a clunky button for 'rear camera'

Does the headset work with old eyes?

If you played elite when it was new, you probably can't use a conventional goggles display.
You can't focus so close.

I'm interested in it, but I'll probably hold off for a while until there is broad gameplay support for it & the price is acceptable. If ED supported it, it would be the must have PC add-on for 2014.

While I think Oculus' usefulness is limited in a FPS , for ELITE it would be perfect , because unlike a FPS where there is conflict between moving your body vs just your head , in Elite there would be a clear distiction between moving the ship (keys,mouse,gamepad) and moving your head (oculus) to look around the cockpit and out the windows.

Not to mention having "true" stereo/3d vision due to each eye receiving separate input (unlike the flickering improvisations of cinema/monitors that use obturators).

I really hope the Oculus makes mass production this year and Frontier think about implementing it. (DB said on reddit that he will consider it : link )

@Tom : As you already made the brave step of preordering the devkit , we would benefit from your early insight when you receive it.

Pre-ordered the Oculus Rift Developer edition, anyone else taken the plunge

I really wanted to, but I could not justify the price without seeing a in-person demonstration.

I am really eager to know your thoughts on it however.

If Elite: Dangerous does not support it at first, it is something I am considering modding support for myself.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom