ED Astrometrics: Maps and Visualizations

Radius data has been replaced in the database, and I re-ran the galactic records spreadsheet. Hopefully it looks a bit better now. The rest of the spreadsheets on the site will reflect the update on their next runs, over the next few days.

The problem is that the EDSM data truncates those numbers, so anything between 0 and 1 can show up as 0. (at least I think it's a truncation. Even if it's rounding, then anything between 0 - 0.49999.. would be included). They're not automatically "wrong" as a result. We'd just get an artificial cutoff that replaces another artificial artifact. It's easy enough to add, but I'm not sure if it'll actually help matters here.

Interestingly, when I built the database, created that column as an integer because of the way EDSM was reporting the numbers. I might have to consider changing it to a float on my side so that I can at least store fractional values if I get them by some other means.

I see.
But once again there might be missing entries in your data, as most of those zero distance bodies in that sheet already have non-zero values in other DBs.

The rest is missing at Spansh, most likely because he ignores bodies without an ID64.

Yeah, there may still be some gaps, especially in older data. Looking at the first example you gave, it appears newer, and likely had an EDDN event overwrite it for some reason. The importer for this looks OK and there are very few actual zeroes in the data for planets (though lots of legitimate ones for stars, since they can be the arrival star). I'll go ahead and skip zeroes for the galactic records and see how it looks.

Yeah, a few weeks ago I eliminated some near-bubble systems from your zero distance spreadsheet. Back then every single one of those had zero distance bodies in all DBs I queried, so I'm just surprised that there's now a sheet that has zero distance bodies that aren't zero distance in the DBs.
Sorry if I'm annoying.

New graph:

(note that the two "bumps" in the graph are Colonia and the bubble, respectively)

radialdistance.png

Hi! I'm looking for raw data that was used for making this graph

What i want to do - include avg value of planets and some rearrangements/sorting to understand which star classes i should filter in built-in plotter to have best chances of finding valuable systems/planets. Basically, the idea is that we take statistics from already scanned systems (number valuable planets sorted byplanet type and star class divided number of systems and multiplied by avg value for every specific planet type - so basicaly its concentration of value by star class) and based on that filter systems for finding new valuable systems.

I saw this page, but it didn't find complete DB of systems (or maybe i haven't looked well enough...):

Yep, if you go to the dumps section (scroll to the bottom), all the data is there in CSV format.

EDIT: It's divided up into files by body type, so you'd need to look at the planets you're interested in, of course. However, plotting it by main star is a little trickier. For that you'd need the star files as well, and match them up to the system IDs that the planets are in as well.

Last edited:
However, plotting it by main star is a little trickier.
If i want to concentrateon one planet type (let's start with Earth-like), which file should i use?
There is dump-earthlike https://edastro.com/mapcharts/files/dump-earthlike.zip and earth-like-worlds https://edastro.com/mapcharts/files/Earth-like-worlds.csv and the second one seems to include Primary Star Class column right away. What's the difference between these 2 files? Can i just use the second one as it includes that important column? (without consencuences on results, ofcourse).

If i want to concentrateon one planet type (let's start with Earth-like), which file should i use?
There is dump-earthlike https://edastro.com/mapcharts/files/dump-earthlike.zip and earth-like-worlds https://edastro.com/mapcharts/files/Earth-like-worlds.csv and the second one seems to include Primary Star Class column right away. What's the difference between these 2 files? Can i just use the second one as it includes that important column? (without consencuences on results, ofcourse).

Yes, absolutely. Earth-likes are one of the few cases where I made a complete list available in the "longer" format (including columns that contain data from other tables in the database). The dump files are single-table files and so they do not reference associated data themselves, however all body types are available that way. Most of the non-dump spreadsheets are much narrower in focus, and thus may not contain all bodies of a given class. For ELWs you have the choice.

I'm considering this to be in "beta" at the moment, but I've been working on a set of Galactic Records that are primarily based on the spreadsheet of the same name, already in the files section. I may eventually add more categories, and I'd like to get ring data included too at some point.

Something to keep an eye out for is the occasional poorly categorized data. If something is listed as a wrong body type, for instance, it can completely throw off the record high/low (max/min) values and averages. Most of what I've done so far is fairly tolerant of the small amounts of bad data, but this is more sensitive to it. I've already had to do some data corrections as a result.

I'm still making adjustments to it, but I think it's in a state where people can start poking at it.

https://edastro.com/records/

Top Bottom