ED Astrometrics: Maps and Visualizations

As far as I know, that's basically it-- the catalog systems are mostly proc-gen, but with predetermined position and mass, and possibly an override for what the primary star type should be and some other features (to match the catalog information, of course). So anomalies are likely to occur in the sense that the mass and star choice might not match what the StellarForge might have selected otherwise, skewing it toward proprortionately more or less massive stars compared to the planetary mass. I think this is why we see a lot of planetless stars, and stars with other stars in planetary orbits, compared to what we see in non-catalog systems... if that makes sense.

Sadly, we can really only speculate based on what details have been released, and from experience in exploring these systems.

As it happens, KOI 1701 1 looks to be an example of a hand placed planet rather than some miracle of the Forge. Quite how much control they have over it remains to be seen - it might be that they give it some attributes and let forge decide what that actually produces, or they might've even decided everything about it (including that it wasn't a gas giant). But the fact it's exactly 317 EM is a big flag (oddly, EDSM has it as 316.999969 which is presumably what thet Journal says, but I'd put that down to data storage type). The other thing to note is something I saw Bravada Cadelanne point out on discord - check this. The body is supposed to be 1.69 earth radii - but has curiosly been imported as ~16900km (actually 16868.926). I'd assume this and similar bodies were imported "en masse" through a script or whatever - but it really look like someone kept messing with the mass here until they got close to what they thought the radius was for the body. In reality it should've been closer to 10,780km and nothing like 45G - but here we are :)

However it happened, script or manual, it does lead to the tantilizing prospect that there could be similar errors in the KOI import...

The thing that really interests me about the KOI group is one thing mainly, their almost unique pattern in the galaxy, I can only imagine the observations taken were all aligned along a very small patch of the night sky.
That's exactly correct. The way the Kepler survey worked (the prime mission, anyway) is that the satellite stared at a patch of sky several degrees across for years, looking for any brightness fluctuations within that frame. The patch was chosen to be both aligned along the galactic plane and far enough away from the ecliptic that the satellite could observe it year-round.

There are KOI stars off in different directions, because Kepler got a second mission phase after its attitude control system partially failed. In the K2 mission, the probe used photon pressure from the sun to stabilize its telescope, but that meant pointing at different patches of sky at different parts of its orbit.

I had a script go through some of the galactic records (actually the top and bottom 150 of each floating point number range) and re-sync from EDSM. It ran for probably a solid week or two. I've also done some more manual cleanup of duplicate entries causing incorrect matching of values to the planet class, or mismatched body IDs, etc. I was mainly looking at EarthMasses and Radius for planets, however there's probably still suspicious values in other categories too. In some cases it was easiest to just delete the stars and planets in a couple of star systems and re-sync them from scratch from EDSM's API.

I know there will still be some broken values in the galactic records. Feel free to point out specific cases here, and I'll see if I can manually fix them (or remove them if necessary). I'm mainly interested in making it match EDSM, so even if the number seems suspicious, I'll consider it "good" if EDSM has it too. Some of those cases can be verified or fixed by having someone re-scan it in-game.

I know there will still be some broken values in the galactic records. Feel free to point out specific cases here, and I'll see if I can manually fix them (or remove them if necessary). I'm mainly interested in making it match EDSM, so even if the number seems suspicious, I'll consider it "good" if EDSM has it too. Some of those cases can be verified or fixed by having someone re-scan it in-game.

Way a long time ago I made a point of traveling around to systems with tiny bodies, it's surprising how many apparently tiny bodies there were that weren't actually tiny, but were leftovers from manual data entry a long time ago, so I would travel a distance to visit a gas giant planet that supposedly had a radius of 31klm (obviously wrong) but was actually 31,000klm in radius, but someone had entered the data incorrectly.

There may be a few manual data entries still hanging around I suppose but I haven't spotted any obvious ones for a long time!

I am sure this must have been brought up before, but anyway: in your extracted lists for planets you list the primary and parent star types with their generic class, like "A (Blue -White) Star", not with the more specific luminosity class, like "A8 Vab".
I recently worked over the boxel IOLOCKS OX-S D4 and discovered 26 ELWs in >500 systems visited (~50%). 15 of those ELWs were in systems with ".. Vb" primary stars. Could be that there's a correlation between Vb's and ELWs (in this boxel or in the galaxy?!), or there are generally more Vb's (boxel or galaxy), I don't really know. I am just wondering, and noticed that the extracted ELW csv does not support a further look into this :(
No biggy as I doubt that I would spend any significant effort in it anyway ;)

Last edited:
Marx and MattG have done a more thorough analysis of ELW distribution than I have, so you might want to check out their ELW threads here in the forum (or maybe they'll chime in here).

But having said that, I can add luminosity to some spreadsheets. It might not be immediate though, as I might have to add a denormalization column in the database for it, depending on which spreadsheets I add it to. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Actually for many of the spreadsheets, this will start filling quickly. It's easy in the main planet-listing script. ;)

Last edited:
Meanwhile I looked up a bit on the subject and it seems like it is really just size/luminosity - I hought the a/ab/b stuff might be spectrum related (like the different WRs, WDs, & Carbons), in which case it could have been a hint toward system composition, but it is not. Marx & MattG actually just posted some of their ELW research references in another thread, so no need to reiterate it here. My thought was also not just toward ELWs, H(R)GGs immediately come to mind thinking of deducing something from a spectral classification (which we don't have).
But the detailed classes might still be useful to "reproduce" some of their work ;)

Last edited:
Looking into this was part of why I originally chose to write down the whole star info for the ELW list. The last time I looked at whether they might be of any use (which was a couple of years ago, perhaps?), the results were quite clear: for Vz stars, the difference is obvious (they are terrible), and all the rest are pretty much the same. So yes, it really is just luminosity.

That said, if we're going to have that added to sheets (thanks!), it might be worth a look. I'll take a look at G stars in various mass codes then, because ELWs around those would frequent the lower luminosities (like A), and not the higher ones (like the rest of the main sequence).

Here's an interesting question, I don't know whether it's possible or even if they show different data in the dump, here are two pictures with two different planets selected, they are functionally identical, one has helium atmosphere the other methane, one has an atmosphere ring one doesn't.

CzVBvvY.jpg

5JYsyQJ.jpg

The main difference is one has a much higher atmospheric pressure than the other, we are talking in the tens of thousands plus atmospheres for the one without the atmosphere ring. Is it possible this is a future hint for content, planets without the atmosphere ring will remain forever out of bounds due to conditions not allowing landing and panets with atmosphere rings a possible future content release. Is there any way in the data dump to tell planets with atmosphere rings from planets without and thus determine if there is a cut off pressure for possible future content release for high atmosphere bodies?

That's a really good question. I'm not sure why the atmosphere ring icon wouldn't appear on planet 3. Here's what I have in the data for these two:

Code:
MariaDB [elite]> select name,subType,gravity,surfacePressure,atmosphereType,atmospheres.* from planets,atmospheres where name in ('Blaea Troi RG-X c1-0 3','Blaea Troi RG-X c1-0 4') and planetID=planet_id\G
*************************** 1. row ***************************
           name: Blaea Troi RG-X c1-0 3
        subType: Icy body
        gravity: 2.91343
surfacePressure: 99371.5
 atmosphereType: Thick Methane-rich
             id: 122963735
      planet_id: 240265731
        ammonia: 33.2201
          argon: NULL
  carbondioxide: NULL
         helium: NULL
       hydrogen: NULL
           iron: NULL
        methane: 33.2201
           neon: NULL
       nitrogen: 33.2201
         oxygen: NULL
      silicates: NULL
 sulphurdioxide: NULL
          water: NULL
*************************** 2. row ***************************
           name: Blaea Troi RG-X c1-0 4
        subType: Icy body
        gravity: 3.46371
surfacePressure: 6.05425
 atmosphereType: Thick Helium
             id: 122963675
      planet_id: 240265583
        ammonia: NULL
          argon: NULL
  carbondioxide: NULL
         helium: 88.8753
       hydrogen: 8.38446
           iron: NULL
        methane: NULL
           neon: 2.22569
       nitrogen: NULL
         oxygen: NULL
      silicates: NULL
 sulphurdioxide: NULL
          water: NULL
2 rows in set (0.000 sec)

Very little fanfare around this, but apparently FDev snuck a couple of little treats into the journals with update 7. Things we've been wanting for years.

Barycenter scan events... and the missing orbital parameters for scans: Longitude of Ascending Node, and Mean Anomaly.

All of those being available will make it possible for people to create animated orreries of star systems, since they were exactly what was missing. There are some minor caveats of course: While EDDN is carrying the new orbital parameters for scans, it doesn't currently support the barycenters, since they're a new event type. EDSM probably doesn't have any support for it either. And I think all of these journal changes are in Odyssey only.

I have my API asking for the barycenter events, for those who run EDD with EDAstro submissions turned on, or are using the IGAU plugin for EDMC. And I'm tracking the orbital parameters when available. It'll probably be a long time before there's anything substantial enough recorded to do anything interesting with it. But it's a start.

Yeah, I always forget it's there, because it's always out of date. These new additions were in update 7, and aren't in the docs. ;)

Not yet. I may add one sooner or later, but so far I've taken the standpoint that it's a hobby, and money might make it feel like work. ;) I'll let everyone know here if that changes. I've spent enough on computer upgrades for this that it certainly would help offset the costs.

Very little fanfare around this, but apparently FDev snuck a couple of little treats into the journals with update 7. Things we've been wanting for years.

Barycenter scan events... and the missing orbital parameters for scans: Longitude of Ascending Node, and Mean Anomaly.

All of those being available will make it possible for people to create animated orreries of star systems, since they were exactly what was missing. There are some minor caveats of course: While EDDN is carrying the new orbital parameters for scans, it doesn't currently support the barycenters, since they're a new event type. EDSM probably doesn't have any support for it either. And I think all of these journal changes are in Odyssey only.

I have my API asking for the barycenter events, for those who run EDD with EDAstro submissions turned on, or are using the IGAU plugin for EDMC. And I'm tracking the orbital parameters when available. It'll probably be a long time before there's anything substantial enough recorded to do anything interesting with it. But it's a start.

I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet, but I started putting together some of the math to calculate current positions/orbits of bodies based on these orbital parameters, and discovered that it's still incomplete. Because, why not? :D With newer scans, there's enough to create the complete system hierarchy now, and describe all of the individual orbits. But a 100% accurate orrery would still have to fudge some things.

Normally when you use the typical 6 or 7 parameters to describe an orbit, they're relative to a specific reference plane, and reference direction. In ED though, for moons and barycentric orbits (binaries and the like), the reference plane is the equatorial plane of the parent, depending on axial tilt. We have axial tilt for bodies, but no indication of which direction it's tilted. Plus, the new barycenter events don't record a tilt for the barycenter, since it's a virtual object. And yet it's there, internally to ED.

So the best we could do for a 3D orrery would be to treat all barycenter orbits as though the reference plane is the main reference plane for the system, instead of using the barycenter's tilt (since we don't have it), and either do the same with moons, or pick an arbitrary direction for the parent's axial tilt and then use that. For the latter, I'd go with whichever direction makes the math the simplest for tilting the moon orbits. ;)

These things are immediately apparent when looking at Sol. Right now I don't have a barycenter at all for the Pluto/Charon system, but their orbital inclinations in the data are quite low. In reality they're pretty inclined, so that tilt must come from the barycenter in ED. Uranus is also highly tilted, and so are its moon orbits. However again, in the data the moons have low orbital inclinations, so the tilt has to come from the planet.

So with some minor fudging, it's still possible to make a pretty complete orrery. I threw together some code to step through days and see how the planetary coordinates within the system change, but this assumes that all of the orbit inclinations are relative to the horizontal main reference plane. I don't know what, or if I'll use it for anything, but it's a start in any case. And knowing the above will be useful for anyone else looking to use the data in a similar manner.

On a completely separate note, I have some fairly garbled data for a couple of systems, and so these could use some fresh scans. First one is about 3k outside the bubble, and the other is near Colonia. I'll probably hit them myself at some point if no one else gets there first, but I figured I'd mention them here in case anyone is near them and wants to take a shot at it.

GMB2010 WOCS 18045

Eol Prou EB-O d6-530

Top Bottom