Release ED ToolBox - A companion app

Hey Walter,

Some time ago, I remember bringing the new Journal changes (v2.0) to your attention.
At the time you seemed pleased that you could replace the companion api.

Well some time has past, do you have any plans to parse the journal?

Should you decide to develop this again, any chance you can look at how this ED app adds voice: tts4ed
It does a fantastic job with TTS and from reading the readit, in future the TTS will be free for all, due to caching and sharing.

Thanks

Hi,
I haven't had the energy to properly develop EDTB in a long while so journal parsing isn't happening anytime soon I'm afraid.

After a whole weekend without ED Toolbox I realise that I'm really going to miss it. Walter, what can I do to help diagnose this problem? I'm a programmer (although less knowledgeable about webby stuff) so if you want me to drop in a debug version of the toolbox that's got loads of extra diagnostics or anything like that then let me know. The "cmd.exe" in the Application Error box seems like a good clue. Surely there's can't be many places in ED Toolbox where you invoke cmd.exe?

Z6DJSbK.png

Aside from the regular popups after hyperspace jumps which are the main cause of concern for me, there's one totally repeatable popup that I get whenever I first Open the ED Toolbox window in chrome. As a bit of extra background, for many many months (maybe getting close to a year) I've had this thing where, when I right-click on the EDTB tool tray icon and Open the toolbox window, chrome pops up but fails to load the page (it just sits on a blank screen with the busy icon spinning). What I do is to hit the 'X' to stop the browser loading the page, wait a few seconds and then try again. Sometimes I have to do this three or four times before the page finally loads. Now, when it finally loads I immediately get the popup. n.b. I don't know if any of that is relevant but I thought I ought to mention it.

I've got Windows 10 which, as I say, recently picked up the big Creators update. My setup's pretty standard (i.e. I like to keep my Windows installation pretty clean so I've done very little hacking around). I've got the free AVG anti-virus (although I still get the popup even with this disabled). The ONLY slightly weird thing I've done to my system is the following hack (in order to stop Windows 10 from automatically logging in the last logged in user following a reboot).

https://superuser.com/a/953898

Again, I have no idea if that's relevant.

Last edited:
The screenshot gallery and the companion API integration use windows cmds, though it doesn't make sense why they'd only conk out during hyperspace jumps. I now get the same error after updating my Windows so it should be easier to debug now. Stay tuned.

The screenshot gallery and the companion API integration use windows cmds, though it doesn't make sense why they'd only conk out during hyperspace jumps. I now get the same error after updating my Windows so it should be easier to debug now. Stay tuned.

In a way I'm sorry to hear you're getting the error ... but in another way ... I'm absolutely delighted! :D

In a way I'm sorry to hear you're getting the error ... but in another way ... I'm absolutely delighted! :D

Ok I believe I've located the problem. The Windows update clears some registry keys and doesn't allow them to be set when installing EDTB. I'll move them somewhere else, but in the mean time you should be able to make it work by adding a registry key "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EDTB" and in there a string value named "install_path", the value of which you should set to the install path of EDTB, e.g "C:\ED ToolBox" (without quotes).

Ok I believe I've located the problem. The Windows update clears some registry keys and doesn't allow them to be set when installing EDTB. I'll move them somewhere else, but in the mean time you should be able to make it work by adding a registry key "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EDTB" and in there a string value named "install_path", the value of which you should set to the install path of EDTB, e.g "C:\ED ToolBox" (without quotes).

Dude ... if true then YOU ARE THE MAN! Will try when I get home tonight.

[heart]

Success! When I ran that .bat file I got an error about php.exe missing. When I started poking around a bit more something struck me as odd - I had an "ED ToolBox" installation within my "ED ToolBox" installation (i.e. D:\Program Files(x86)\ED ToolBox\ED ToolBox) and my desktop shortcut was pointing at "D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\ED ToolBox\edtbmanager.exe". Must have been the result of previous attempts to re-install. Anyway, I uninstalled again, moved the whole of what was left of "D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox" aside, re-installed and bingo ... everything is now working as far as I can tell (no popups in 2hrs of playing). I also re-applied my fix for "nearest station is in this system" (see earlier - you might want to get that fix into your release build). One (hopefully final) thing ... can you tell me where the data re: systems visited is stored as I'd like to try and recover that from my backups.

Thanks for all the help!

Success! When I ran that .bat file I got an error about php.exe missing. When I started poking around a bit more something struck me as odd - I had an "ED ToolBox" installation within my "ED ToolBox" installation (i.e. D:\Program Files(x86)\ED ToolBox\ED ToolBox) and my desktop shortcut was pointing at "D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\ED ToolBox\edtbmanager.exe". Must have been the result of previous attempts to re-install. Anyway, I uninstalled again, moved the whole of what was left of "D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox" aside, re-installed and bingo ... everything is now working as far as I can tell (no popups in 2hrs of playing). I also re-applied my fix for "nearest station is in this system" (see earlier - you might want to get that fix into your release build). One (hopefully final) thing ... can you tell me where the data re: systems visited is stored as I'd like to try and recover that from my backups.

Thanks for all the help!

Nice! I'll try to put out an update by the end of the week which will include your fix for Marvin.
The data is stored in "ED ToolBox\mysql_data\elite_log"

Nice! I'll try to put out an update by the end of the week which will include your fix for Marvin.
The data is stored in "ED ToolBox\mysql_data\elite_log"

Wow - it really didn't like me replacing the new "elite_log" folder with that old one!

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function fetch_object() on boolean in D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\EDTB\source\config.inc.php:57 Stack trace: #0 D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\EDTB\style\Header.php(34): require_once() #1 D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\EDTB\style\Theme.php(34): require_once('D:\\Program File...') #2 D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\EDTB\index.php(34): require_once('D:\\Program File...') #3 {main} thrown in D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\EDTB\source\config.inc.php on line 57

Wow - it really didn't like me replacing the new "elite_log" folder with that old one!

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function fetch_object() on boolean in D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\EDTB\source\config.inc.php:57 Stack trace: #0 D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\EDTB\style\Header.php(34): require_once() #1 D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\EDTB\style\Theme.php(34): require_once('D:\\Program File...') #2 D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\EDTB\index.php(34): require_once('D:\\Program File...') #3 {main} thrown in D:\Program Files (x86)\ED ToolBox\EDTB\source\config.inc.php on line 57

Well apparently it's not a simple matter of copying over the files. See http://www.chriscalender.com/tag/innodb-error-tablespace-id-in-file/ if you're feeling adventurous. Or if you haven't removed the netLog files you can also use the "Import flight logs" tool in EDTB to import visited systems.

Hey Walter, quick update to say that everything is perfect and back to normal now. I woke up with the realisation that, aside from your registry patch, there was nothing actually wrong with my original installation so I moved my brand new installation aside, moved the original installation (which I'd kept) back in place, removed the nested "ED ToolBox" installation that I'd ended up with inside my original installation folder, re-ran the installer to replace the files that had been removed when I'd un-installed it and hey presto - a working ED ToolBox with all my visited systems data still in place. Phew! Thanks again. o7

Hey Walter, quick update to say that everything is perfect and back to normal now. I woke up with the realisation that, aside from your registry patch, there was nothing actually wrong with my original installation so I moved my brand new installation aside, moved the original installation (which I'd kept) back in place, removed the nested "ED ToolBox" installation that I'd ended up with inside my original installation folder, re-ran the installer to replace the files that had been removed when I'd un-installed it and hey presto - a working ED ToolBox with all my visited systems data still in place. Phew! Thanks again. o7

Well that's good to hear [up]

Yep, seems like Windows 10 still doesn't like to run that .bat file... Disabling the auto-update of system and station data would "solve" the issue, but then people would need to update the data manually from the EDTB tray program.

That feed is not the one I use. If you want to exlude things from your GalNet feed you can go to "Customize ED Toolbox" -> "Other Settings" -> "A comma separated list of stuff to exclude from GalNet news"

Disabling the auto-update of system and station data would "solve" the issue, but then people would need to update the data manually from the EDTB tray program.

OK, I'm game ... how do I do that? This frickin' popup has crashed me into three stars in a row today and damn near cost me my Python.

OK, I'm game ... how do I do that? This frickin' popup has crashed me into three stars in a row today and damn near cost me my Python.

The quickest way to do it is to remove/comment out line #158 in EDTB/get/getData.php. That will stop the batch file from being launched and (hopefully) the popups should be gone. You should manually update the data once a day or so from the EDTB tray (Update system and station data)

Fingers crossed I may have found the problem. When I did that regedit for the install_path I used backslashes but I've just noticed from looking at this code ..

Code:
            $batch_file = $settings["install_path"] . "/bin/UpdateData/updatedata_bg.bat";
            if (file_exists($batch_file)) {
                edtb_common("last_data_update_start", "unixtime", true, time());

pclose(popen("start \"UpdateData\" /b \"" . $batch_file . "\"", "r"));

.. that's it almost certainly needs forward slashes (since you're quoting the name of the batch file for the 'start' command line any backslashes would presumably need to be escaped). Anyway, I've changed my 'install_path' to use forward slashes and it SEEMS to work.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed I may have found the problem. When I did that regedit for the install_path I used backslashes but I've just noticed from looking at this code ..

Code:
            $batch_file = $settings["install_path"] . "/bin/UpdateData/updatedata_bg.bat";
            if (file_exists($batch_file)) {
                edtb_common("last_data_update_start", "unixtime", true, time());

pclose(popen("start \"UpdateData\" /b \"" . $batch_file . "\"", "r"));

.. that's it almost certainly needs forward slashes (since you're quoting the name of the batch file for the 'start' command line any backslashes would presumably need to be escaped). Anyway, I've changed my 'install_path' to use forward slashes and it SEEMS to work.

Let's hope that solved it! Why it works on older versions of Windows, though... I don't know

Top Bottom