Release ED ToolBox - A companion app

Sorry that this is a bit off topic, but I've only just got back to ED having been away on other projects & work for about a year, have upgraded my computer & tried to use REGULATEDNOISE & ELITEOCR & just keep getting errors & crashes from them. Does anyone know if there's a working version for windows 10 64 bit out there somewhere ? I loved the simplicity of the interface & the automated import / export to EDDB by using F10 screenshots of the commodities screens.
Any help gratefully received.

Ok, I've got a different problem.

I was plagued by the Win10 popups as well, unfortunately decided to reinstall before checking here.

With a fresh install, ED Toolbox won't even start properly. It gives an error messagebox "Line 6, Char 1, System cannot find the file specified" for the RunApache.vbs script. Checking the script, it points to

WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\ED ToolBox\bin\apache\bin\httpd.exe" & Chr(34), 0

However, ED Toolbox was installed at F:\ED ToolBox

Even fixing that doesn't help - I no longer get the error message, but localhost:3001 simply gives "connection refused".

The only log I can find is the mysql log, which probably isn't very helpful here...

Edit: Is it right that install_services.bat only contains the mysql server, not apache?
Edit2: In case not, there is another error, when trying to install the apache service: httpd.exe: Syntax error on line 37 of F:/ED ToolBox/bin/apache/conf/httpd.conf: ServerRoot must be a valid directory
This points to ServerRoot "C:/ED ToolBox/bin/apache", again, Toolbox was installed at F:/ED Toolbox.
Edit3: Started fixing httpd.conf, gave up when I saw this:
SSLCertificateFile "C:/Users/DBnR/AppData/Roaming/ED ToolBox/edtb.cert"
SSLCertificateKeyFile "C:/Users/DBnR/AppData/Roaming/ED ToolBox/edtb.key"

Final Edit: Disabling Avast during install fixed it. But seriously, that should not be needed...

Last edited:
Hello, I have done everything correctly regarding the install, but when I try to open EDTB the Chrome browser opens and attempts to access http://localhost:3001/ until the operation times out.

Is there something I am missing, a firewall setting or something maybe?

I'm sure this has been asked before, sorry for not trawling for the solution!

After taking some time to look up I figured out what EDTB is doing, and turned off my AVG firewall, success! But as soon as the firewall is back on, failure!

I can write rules into AVG for specific apps but this does not come up as one, is there some known solution to this? Run it in Firefox maybe?

Okay, access configured, there is a way to specify an ip address to be blocked or allowed, anyone else with AVG having issues should look to this page and (in case they are as PC illiterate as me) use http://localhost:3001 as the ip for a new packet rule.

AVG!

Thanks for a great companion app, very pleased to have it up and running!

Random question: Why aren't you filling the Map This System data from the API if the user has it active? I mean it is all there basic mapping if you system scan and detail for planet scan (incl minerals). And then just leave notes written/recorded on each one... and link the pictures taken to the individual planet?

I have been having the same issues as Alec Turner where I get the cmd.exe popup after the windows 10 creator update. I also don't get any of the screen shots converted. it moves the bmp to the originals folder but never converts it to jpg.

I have tried adding the registry entry for the install_path with back and forward slashes and neither has fixed the error. Do you have any suggestions for me to try?

Random question: Why aren't you filling the Map This System data from the API if the user has it active? I mean it is all there basic mapping if you system scan and detail for planet scan (incl minerals). And then just leave notes written/recorded on each one... and link the pictures taken to the individual planet?

I wasn't aware that information was available in the API. In any case it doesn't matter since my API implementation is so bugged it barely works anyway...
I have been having the same issues as Alec Turner where I get the cmd.exe popup after the windows 10 creator update. I also don't get any of the screen shots converted. it moves the bmp to the originals folder but never converts it to jpg.

I have tried adding the registry entry for the install_path with back and forward slashes and neither has fixed the error. Do you have any suggestions for me to try?
I was unable to get it working myself when I tried to come up with an update to the issue last weekend :( Will continue trying whenever I have the time.

Thank you very much. It's a great tool you have here and it brings a lot to the game that is missing. I find the screen shot management part of it particularly useful. good luck with your investigations. If there is anything I can do to help diagnose the problem just let me know. I am a programmer myself but never done any php but I am willing to help in anyway I can. My initial gut feeling is that it is some kind of permission issue but that is not based on any evidence only my feeling.

For what it's worth I never actially resolved this. Thought I had but it came back. In the end I just commented out the auto update call and just do an update manually from time to time now.

I actually have another problem too ... the nearest station function now always says "not set" the first time I use it (after a really long delay).

For what it's worth I never actially resolved this. Thought I had but it came back. In the end I just commented out the auto update call and just do an update manually from time to time now.

I actually have another problem too ... the nearest station function now always says "not set" the first time I use it (after a really long delay).
Maybe disabling the auto-update really is the only solution for this.

That "not set" problem sounds like something that comes from Voice Attack, though why it only happens the first time I don't know.

That "not set" problem sounds like something that comes from Voice Attack, though why it only happens the first time I don't know.

It feels like VoiceAttack is trying to talk to the EDToolBox URL to get the station info text but that the request is timing out the first time. Very odd and I'm not entirely sure when it started happening.

I have been doing a little investigation and think I might have found a fix for the auto-update popup error.

The start commands options seems to case sensitive when called from the cmd.exe from within php. Why this is the case I really don't know yet. But if you change no new window option it to a capital B it seems to work. I will be doing some more testing later but I thought I'd pass on my findings asap.

EDTB\get\getdata.php line 158

pclose(popen("start "UpdateData" /b "" . $batch_file . """, "r"));

should now read

pclose(popen("start "UpdateData" /B "" . $batch_file . """, "r"));

Additionally for some reason my image conversion seems to be working now all on its own. really not sure why it wasn't working previously or why it suddenly has started working again. I will post again after I have done further testing.

Last edited:
I take back my last post. The case sensitivity only seems to be a thing while I am running sysinternals process monitor. I really don't get why that would be the case yet. However if you remove the /B completely it works or at least for me it does but you will get a dos windows popup instead of the error which still take focus away from elite. I will have another look at this again over the weekend.

I take back my last post. The case sensitivity only seems to be a thing while I am running sysinternals process monitor. I really don't get why that would be the case yet. However if you remove the /B completely it works or at least for me it does but you will get a dos windows popup instead of the error which still take focus away from elite. I will have another look at this again over the weekend.
Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated :)

I have done a little more work and I think I have come up with a solution. Firstly a taking a look at this post on stack overflow https://stackoverflow.com/questions...c-or-system-in-php-and-do-not-wait-for-output you can see that there is a comment by someone who has has the same issue with php and start with background processing. In the win 10 creators update MS have removed the /B parameter which breaks the current method of launching in the background.

I have found an alternative method of launching a dos batch file in the background (without a popup screen) from php. This can be done via a VBScript. Here is what needs to be modified.

Modify the file EDTB\get\getdata.php at line 152 to read.
// run update script
if ($last_data_update_start < $start_time_frame) {
$batch_file = $settings["install_path"] . "/bin/UpdateData/updatedata_bg.bat";
$vbs_file = $settings["install_path"] . "/bin/UpdateData/runbat.vbs";

if (file_exists($batch_file) && file_exists($vbs_file)) {
edtb_common("last_data_update_start", "unixtime", true, time());

pclose(popen(""" . $vbs_file . """ . " " . """ . $batch_file . """, "r"));

Create a new file \bin\UpdateData\runbat.vbs
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run chr(34) & WScript.Arguments.Item(0) & Chr(34), 0
Set WshShell = Nothing

If it works for everyone else maybe it could be included in the next release.

I have done a little more work and I think I have come up with a solution. Firstly a taking a look at this post on stack overflow https://stackoverflow.com/questions...c-or-system-in-php-and-do-not-wait-for-output you can see that there is a comment by someone who has has the same issue with php and start with background processing. In the win 10 creators update MS have removed the /B parameter which breaks the current method of launching in the background.

I have found an alternative method of launching a dos batch file in the background (without a popup screen) from php. This can be done via a VBScript. Here is what needs to be modified.

Modify the file EDTB\get\getdata.php at line 152 to read.

Create a new file \bin\UpdateData\runbat.vbs

If it works for everyone else maybe it could be included in the next release.

Nice going - I'll try it and let you know later in the week if it's been working OK.

Okay, well, the cmd error no longer pops up, but half of the toolbox windows are blank and it doesn't show my location in the top left. :(

Yup, I'm seeing the blank windows too. Commenting out the line that runs the new vbs file brings them back again so that's definitely the cause.

// pclose(popen(""" . $vbs_file . """ . " " . """ . $batch_file . """, "r"));

Top Bottom