Release ED ToolBox - A companion app

Just did a clean OS install. Near the top of my to do list is: install EDToolbox and transfer internal database. Although I would love to see an updated version, I still use it every time I fly around in the Elite universe.

Here it is 5 years and 1 month later January 3307 - With over 47 weeks of game time in my main account alone, I still use EDtoolbox, (although I keep going back from 1.30 to version 1.28 - 1.28 for some reason does a better job of automatically displaying the system logs of in range systems), everytime I fly around in the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

It would be great if there were an easy way to filter Fleet Carriers from showing up in the current system display.

Last edited:
Here it is 5 years and 1 month later January 3307 - With over 47 weeks of game time in my main account alone, I still use EDtoolbox, (although I keep going back from 1.30 to version 1.28 - 1.28 for some reason does a better job of automatically displaying the system logs of in range systems), everytime I fly arouind in the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

It would be great if there were an easy way to filter Fleet Carriers from showing up in the current system display.
I'm still using it too. I've been meaning to delve into the code myself for pretty much the same reason. Basically I use a key binding to have it read out the "nearest station" info and I really don't want that telling me about fleet carriers. If I ever manage to fix it I'll let you know how.

Nice to see people still use it. It should continue to work fine at least as long as EDDB keeps working (that's where the data is fetched from)

If anyone fiddles with the code, I'd be happy to accept PR's on the GitHub page so others can benefit from them as well.

Last edited:
Howdy, I just discovered this tool but am having issues with it. It doesn't seem to recognize my location. The header just says location unavailable. The edtb.xyz is under maintenance apparently so I wanted to see if anyone here could help me.

Howdy, I just discovered this tool but am having issues with it. It doesn't seem to recognize my location. The header just says location unavailable. The edtb.xyz is under maintenance apparently so I wanted to see if anyone here could help me.
To be honest edtb.xyz has been under maintenance for years now.

Check out this section of the GitHub page on how to enable VerboseLogging in Elite: https://github.com/DBnR1/EDTB#requirements

To be honest edtb.xyz has been under maintenance for years now.

Check out this section of the GitHub page on how to enable VerboseLogging in Elite: https://github.com/DBnR1/EDTB#requirements

After turning it on, do I need to reinstall? Cuz I don't see a difference. Also, could you provide an example of what the logs directory looks like? I suspect I'm not picking the correct directory. Currently, it's set to the folder in the screenshot.
Capture.PNG

After turning it on, do I need to reinstall? Cuz I don't see a difference. Also, could you provide an example of what the logs directory looks like? I suspect I'm not picking the correct directory. Currently, it's set to the folder in the screenshot. View attachment 205890
If you look at the 3rd bullet point under the requirements section in the link Walter posted above - https://github.com/DBnR1/EDTB#requirements

Verbose Logging needs to be turned on. Once verbose logging enabled is confirmed, the next time you start elite dangerous it will generate a netLog.(series of date and numbers).log file. For example here is a NetLog name from one of my playing sessions: " netLog.210126235915.01.log "
Since Walter created this wonderful utility EDToolbox before the existence of the journel, at the time the only way to monitor or track your movement was to read the NetLog entries. This is the file EDTools reads. It can be found in the Logs directory - \Products\elite-dangerous-64\Logs

You may need to make sure you have viewing of hidden and system files enabled in Windows Explorer.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Doesn't seem to read the correct system in the Netlog files, when in Odyssey

After changing the path to the correct file,
from: log_dir="C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Logs"
to: log_dir="C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-odyssey-64\Logs"

Update:
As a work around, if I copy the Netlog files from the Odyssey directory to the Horizons directory, then import the logs in EDToolbox, it works fine. Doesn't let me see the current system in real time, but I can at least pause in game, copy the netlogs over, import flight logs, then I can add system logs, and other notes, etc.

For whatever reason, EDToolbox 1.30 doesn't seem to like it when the ED log directory is changed.

I may try uninstalling, then clean install of EdToolbox 1.28 and see how it does.
2nd Update:

It looks like I was mistaken about the work around. Right now, I do not see how to use EDToolBox with Odyssey :(

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone uses EDTB anymore, but after EDDB shut down, some information in EDTB won't be updated anymore (prices etc)

Huge thanks to themroc for keeping EDDB alive for so long. It made many features of EDTB possible.

Hi Walter, thanks for letting us know (I did wonder). Sadly, much as I loved it, I had to stop using EDTB when Odyssey came out because I no longer had any spare CPU cycles for the processing that EDTB required.

I still miss its sometimes foul mouthed Federation/Empire bias - especially this week as I'm doing a lot of basking! :LOL:

sJCxFpF.png

Yes, thank you for letting us know. EDToolbox has been a valuable resource for me and it does not feel right flying, (or walking), around the Elite Dangerous galaxy without it running on a second monitor. I also use EDDiscovery, (and EDDI), but neither one provides the convenience EDtoolbox does with certain features, such as three different types of logs, (especially useful when the previous system logs show up when you enter a system), the way Points of Interest works, to name a few.

Top Bottom