ED VR - upgrade thoughts - Rift CV1 to Rift S

oh crap. that's a shame.
Passthrough looks very odd and grainy. It's great for seeing where you are in the room, but detail like letters are really hard to see. You'd be leaning over and would still be better off pulling the headset off, if you don't know how to type by feel.
On the other hand, the headset is easy to slide on and off!

oh crap. that's a shame.
Recall issued on my previous information!

I’ve just had a quick try over lunchtime - with my keyboard symbols illuminated, I have to get within 12inches or so before I can just about resolve them. Getting closer makes them quite clear but due to the composite nature of the image, the keyboard and my hands looked a bit weird, like there were a few ripples in reality and depth perception was off.

With the keyboard backlight off, I had to get a couple of inches closer which then induced the composite image problems.

Tested with ED - you can select the Galaxy map search box, pop into PassThrough to type, then back into the game because I’d forgotten the next letter/number sequence, back into PassThrough, repeated until the Galactic address was complete.

Well I have to admit, Microsoft are REALLY dropping the ball here in adopting console VR - Playstation are raking in a couple of billion a year.
Maybe the next gen XBone will have something then you can moan with the rest of us.

Trying before buying is not possible in Denmark as far as I can google it, which is sad though. That really goes for all headsets.

My IPD is around the 63,5 - 64 mm mark, so I think I'm in the Rift S "zone".

Another question (for those who have tried both CV1 and S) is about the black levels. Watching through a plethora of youtube videos, there are just as many opinions on the matter as there are content creators. So whats your take?

In other news, I managed to squeeze a bit more image quality out of my CV1. I have not been running with any AA, and a HMD quality of 1.5. But a switch to FXAA while dialing HMD quality down to 1.25 have given me a much sharper image (in my eyes). Stations run at 90 hz while some conflict zones still go the ASW way.

My rig is Ryzen R5 2600x with a MSI Armor RTX 2070

View attachment 138512

Edited.. noticed I had already commented above, duh. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom