Newcomer / Intro EDDB query

Playing Horizons on PC. I am using EDMC and reporting to EDDN, EDSM and Inara, all system data seems to be reporting on EDSM.

If I use EDDB and search on a system that my carrier is in it will show the system and carrier but no bodies information even after I have scanned and DSS'd a number of bodies, If I check back on systems that I have visited weeks or months ago I am also not seeing any body information, If I use EDDB's body search using as a reference system a first discovered system I have logged as having bodies with rings and use the 'ring type' search the ring data for that system is not being shown. If I double check with EDSM the bodies and ring data is available.

I do use EDDB, Bodies, Ring Type search on occasions and would prefer it if the data I am uploading was available to others as well, what am I not doing or doing wrong?

Please keep it simple:)

Maybe EDDB only shows it after the data has been sold to cartographics?
that might be so with current data but I am using a carrier and reporting on a regular basis, and I have not got a tick in the delay data in EDMC, EDSM is getting data straight away, I did think at first it was a delay in EDDB updating its database but I can go back months on my own first discovered and can find the systems on EDDB but no body or ring data.

Could be worth a try, I have looked at it before but gave it a pass as it seemed way to complicated for what I wanted:)
Oh, I never use it to its full capacity but it's handy for screenshots and sending data to EDSM and Inara.

I just wondered if the files it sends are more detail rich than what you've tried so far ...

I haven’t looked into it but I thought I saw somewhere that there was a lite version of EDDiscovery available.
Something simple and basic is all that I am after, that's why I am running EDMC:)

I just wondered if the files it sends are more detail rich than what you've tried so far ...
Do not know but all the details are getting through to EDSM, Its a pity that EDSM does not have that particular search facility:)

it makes no difference if an outside source gets the data first, if it isn't sold it will never be displayed to anyone.
this is not new.
it has always worked this way and so it should.
if it is not sold, you could have the entire galaxy scanned, die, and its all gone. till someone scans and sells it.

if you knew the size of the json files at eddb , you might understand the value of storing data not yet sold, it has a value but there is no reason to display it to anyone.
doing so could get others to sell it before you do.
besides, its a programming effort that would serve no purpose.

if you die the data is still in your files, so you can rescan it all.

it makes no difference if an outside source gets the data first, if it isn't sold it will never be displayed to anyone.
this is not new.
it has always worked this way and so it should.
if it is not sold, you could have the entire galaxy scanned, die, and its all gone. till someone scans and sells it.

if you knew the size of the json files at eddb , you might understand the value of storing data not yet sold, it has a value but there is no reason to display it to anyone.
doing so could get others to sell it before you do.
besides, its a programming effort that would serve no purpose.

if you die the data is still in your files, so you can rescan it all.
I am sorry but you have got me a bit confused, the data is being sold but it is being sold to a carrier, my carrier, is there any difference between selling data to a carrier and a regular station? I have not visited a station for months, there are none in the area I am passing through (The Veils):)

I am not worried about claiming first discoveries or anything of that sort, that is why I am allowing data to be used immediately via EDDN and am seeing that data displayed within seconds on EDSM but only system name not body or ring data on EDDB even for systems that I visited months ago.

The scan data value is of no importance to me, but the data might be of use to others, I have done at times a quick search and jumped into a system to mine Tritium rather than search manually for a system to mine in when way out in the black.

My computing skills are very basic, a soon to be retired truck driver, not a trade that spends hours behind a keyboard:)

You are getting a lot of incorrect suggestions, and might better getting an answer from the horses mouth.

sorry, I didn't realize you had the problem after selling.
I was under the impression you were only using the external software.

only other info you may already know, sell 1 system at a time.
the bug that causes grief by selling page at a time still exists.
its mostly about missing first discoveries, but its worse it will actually pay for the page as listed to you, but often fails in actually registering data as well as many other little things.
sell enough page by page though and you will see how bad it really is.
lost discoveries is the worst part of selling data that never gets registered.
nothing to do with FC, just a carto bug that we have had for many years.

there will be a time lag after you sell the data, this can usually be fixed by a relog after you sell the data. then scan system and the data reported to eddb should be gtg.

keep in mind EDO has made a mess of netcode so just hope for it to be faster than a total restart..

I am in the process of installing it now, it may take some time, I have a good few hours in game (46 weeks) and selected the all data in the initial setup:)
Good luck!

Oh, I think you need API keys * from EDSM and Inara which, when you log in to those sites, can be obtained. You'll need to plug those into EDDiscovery * if memory serves - after that, you can just open it up, inside or outside the game and it'll just do its thing,

EDIT * No, I'm not sure if that's 100% true and no I can't remember anyway :( :D

Last edited:
Good luck!

Oh, I think you need API keys from EDSM and Inara which, when you log in to those sites, can be obtained. You'll need to plug those into EDDiscovery if memory serves - after that, you can just open it up, inside or outside the game and it'll just do its thing,
It has not asked for them, I am logged into both of them via browser and it has been in contact with EDSM already, I have both of the keys saved in a separate location anyway.

As it has gone through all the log files on my system hopefully it will update EDDB with the relevant information and it will be available in the next few days.

It has not asked for them, I am logged into both of them via browser and it has been in contact with EDSM already, I have both of the keys saved in a separate location anyway.

As it has gone through all the log files on my system hopefully it will update EDDB with the relevant information and it will be available in the next few days.

You need to select the "Settings" tab then "edit" your commander where you set the options for sync to / for the different sources and you input your API key(s).

Ah! Yes! As usual, @Para Handy is totally on the button:

edd.jpg

You need to select the "Settings" tab then "edit" your commander where you set the options for sync to / for the different sources and you input your API key(s).
OK, just about managed to do that:)

I am slowly trying to work my way through the install video's, it is a bit complex:)

OK, just about managed to do that:)

I am slowly trying to work my way through the install video's, it is a bit complex:)

Oh I have never bothered with any of those. I have been using EDD for years though - back when it was just logging one's travels, it has steadily grown with all sorts of features I have never (nor will ever) use. For me, really only 3 panels get used: it is the scan window (shows me if a body is terraformable at a glance) when I am exploring; the missions list when I am mission running; and the materials count when I am engineering.

So much got added that the EDDLite was developed - if that had the scan panel, I would switch to it.

I don't use the web-server thingie either (tried it, didn't find it useful) - if that gave the scan panel then I would use that but they say that they will not be coding that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom