Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

I think I have narrowed it down to when I land on auto=pilot HCS runs through a FUEL, Repair, Ammo check and puts ship in Hanger, that is when EDDI has a fit, and VA exits. EDDI works perfectly on it's own, and so does HCS. A fresh install in a new folder fixed it again. For some reason once the crash occurs I can't run EDDI and HCS together unless I install to ANOTHER folder. Deleting the original folder and reinstalling back there doesn't fix anything. I also notice EDDI keeps preferences no matter where I install, even if I delete the main VA install folder AND the folder at App Data\Roaming, Another fact that seems to be specific to HCS Plugin, or the combination of EDDI and HCS, is that if I have the NAV Screen window is open during Auto-Dock HCS or VA will go through the checklist then start a constant audible beep that can only be stopped by exiting VA. Possibly this applies if the UI focus is off the default straight ahead position. This doesn't happen when only EDDI plugin is enabled. It might be possible that the Auto Dock feature has a bearing, I am a newby, having won at EVE, thanks to it being a total SNAFU because of Developer decisions and Botting, and I still can't land without getting sent to jail and buying a new ship, I just can't seem to get it. I have watched endless videos, read reams of articles, but something about that skill eludes me, I still practice, but I spent nearly two weeks and owed some ungodly amount of credits crashing Sidewinders, and I still haven't figured it out. (I can't shoot down the NPC's yet either). Learning curve and unlearning Eve. So, I thank you in advance for your tolerance and understanding.

VoiceAttackFault.txt

21 October 2020 19:42:53***
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control until the window handle has been created.
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.BeginInvoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext.Post(SendOrPostCallback d, Object state)
at System.ComponentModel.AsyncOperation.Post(SendOrPostCallback d, Object arg)
at System.Speech.Internal.AsyncSerializedWorker.OnWorkItemPending()
at System.Speech.Internal.AsyncSerializedWorker.AddItem(AsyncWorkItem item)
at System.Speech.Recognition.RecognizerBase.FireAudioLevelUpdatedEvent(Int32 audioLevel)
at System.Speech.Recognition.RecognizerBase.DispatchEvents(Object eventData)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Speech.Internal.AsyncSerializedWorker.WorkerProc(Object ignored)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()
***VoiceAttack v1.8.7 - Windows 10.0.19041.0
Unable to access plugin information [Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index]

Unfortunately being a PC Klutz the above means nothing to me, Ha Ha.

I coped the complete folder into another new folder, change my VA shortcut to point there. Everything works now.
I was using an Inova Voice, After I determined HCS and EDDI were working together I changed my system to a Microsoft Voice and restricted TTS voice use in the VA menu to one.

I must point out these issues with EDDI DO NOT diminish my faith in the program nor will they stop me from using it. The EDDI interactions a great texture and color to the game-play. to my enjoyment, and at times are essential to how I play the Game
With thanks
WOZZ
The stack trace doesn't include any of EDDI's assemblies so it may be an exception being thrown in VoiceAttack rather than in EDDI (especially if EDDI did not log the exception within the .log files at %appdata%/EDDI).

Can you elaborate on why you think HCS + EDDI cannot run together after a crash? Is the same exception logged each time you try to start VoiceAttack after VA + HCS + EDDI has crashed?

EDDI preferences should be removed / reset when you delete %APPDATA%/EDDI.

The audible beeping you described is likely an HCS thing - it's not from EDDI.

@Wozzlebatneo
Hello, I've been playing ED with VA and EDDI for a long time. There have been problems between VA and EDDI,
but that was a long time ago. I have no problems with version 3.7.0 of EDDI and VA version 1.8.6
(well, but only little things, no crashes). I also use voices from IVONA (Hans and Marlene) and have no problems.
Why did you install VA in a Steam folder? Maybe this is the problem. Ok, you bought VA via Steam, right?
To activate the full version of VA you get a serial number. So you can download the VA-exe-file from the VA homepage,
install it under Windows and enter the serial number under "Registration". Afterwards you can install EDDI as a plug-in of VA.
Now you have the normal installation of VA and EDDI.
Sorry, I cannot say anything about HCS. I've been playing with this variant of installation for ages.
"c:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Apps\EDDI\"
That would be worth a try.

;) greetings nepomuk

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) - sorry, my english is to bad :(

you should add info on how to add voices too, i've found this for windows :
support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/using-the-speak-feature-with-multilingual-tts-e522a4f2-37cb-492b-be6a-8997d23dfe70
(edit : use this one : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27224 )

Should help many with languages issues

Edit : Aaaand no.
I've looked many many sites on how to make it work but I cannot get any voice other than Anna
(https://www.sevenforums.com/software/14151-tts-software-not-working.html)

Edit2: This is a huge mess ... Microsoft is just a bunch of lazy ***
I've managed to add more than enough languages, they are at last recognized by Windows, but nothing seems to reflect in EDDI
If anyone I've compiled a few info in how I made it :
Code:
Edit : THESE STEPS ONLY CONCERNS WINDOWS 7 (may work on windows 8 as well, but needs testing)
Pre-requisite: Download and Install Speech Platform Runtime Languages from:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27224
and the Speech Platform v11 both 64 & 86 from:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27225
There are many voices to choose from, although en-US ZiraPro and en-GB Hazel are both good English options.
Once you have selected voices, installed the Platform and voices, proceed to making them work :

1. Under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech Server\v11.0\Voices" Click the Tokens folder and export.
Save this file to your desktop as "voices1.reg" so it will be easy to find and line up with later steps.

2. Under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Speech Server\v11.0\Voices" select Tokens and again export.
Again save this file to your desktop. Call it "voices2.reg" for the same reason as above.

3. EDIT (right click, select edit) voices1.reg in notepad use the Replace function and replace \Speech Server\v11.0\ with \Speech\ (Just replace that section, leave rest intact)
It should read as such: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0] for Hazel example.

4. EDIT (right click, select edit) voices2.reg in notepad use the Replace function and replace \Speech Server\v11.0\ with \Speech\ (Just replace that section, leave rest intact)
It should read as such: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0] for Hazel example.
Save and close.

5. Copy the "LEX" keys over from the ANNA voice to the new tokens.
Seems some people did not need this but some did, and I did need it too.

6. Merge both of the files we just edited into the registry by double-clicking them and answering yes when prompted.

7. Reboot computer and enjoy it's new voices.

8. Tuning: if you wish a shorter name as I did just change the "Name" in the [Attributes]
again for Hazel example it should look like this :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0]
@="Microsoft Hazel - English (British)"
"809"="Microsoft Server Speech Text to Speech Voice (en-GB, Hazel)"
"CLSID"="***BUNCH OF DATA***"
"LangDataPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\Speech\\Tokens\\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0\\MSTTSLocenGB.dat"
"VoicePath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\Speech\\Tokens\\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0\\HazelT"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0\Lex]
"DataFile"=hex(2):***BUNCH OF DATA***

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0\Attributes]
"Age"="Adult"
"AudioFormats"="18"
"Gender"="Female"
"Language"="809"
"Name"="Microsoft Hazel"
"Vendor"="Microsoft"
"Version"="11.0"

Edit3: After removing config files (resetting in fact) from appdata for EDDI the new languages are working !

FINALLY !

Now ... I need male voices ...

Last edited:
Yeah ... there's a reason we don't ask regular users to go through all that shenanigans.

It's completely unreasonable. Instead we just go with:
If you want to have a high-quality voice other than that available with Windows then the best choices are to purchase voices from either Ivona or Cereproc. Though both provide great voices, Ivona voices typically adhere more closely to published SSML standards and provide fuller functionality for phonetic speech and other advanced features like pauses in the middle of speech and correct pronunciation of names (ships, powers, systems, etc.).

Further to that, if you've been hacking around with the registry in order to get things to work, we can't help you when things inevitably start to go awry.

TTS voices are software, not data and not all voices support all modes of usage. By abusing the registry as you suggest, you are in effect "taking the safeties off".

We can't guarantee the proper functioning of EDDI in such scenarios.

100% agreed with VerticalBlank. We don't endorse or encourage registry hacks to unlock additional voices and we cannot support any issues that arise from doing so.
If you do decide to hack the registry, please
1. understand that you can mess up your computer quite badly if you make a mistake (worst case: the computer may not boot)
2. export and save a backup of the registry before you make any changes

Calm down people it's my job here, I perfectly know what i'm doing, and obviously, this isn't what they are designed for but, this is just a loss of quality, worst case scenario, is that the voices will crash at some point, if only messing with the registry on what I've pointed out, nothing will damage one's computer :)

and I think it's funny to see you write that about Cereproc as you said :
As a developer just trying to maintain a standards-compliant text-to-speech app, my personal opinion of CereProc is that I would like them to DIE IN THE FIRE OF A MILLION SUNS. Just sayin'

But no Idea of their quality, I love the GB voice Hazel as it is :)

Oh and one detail, the French version isn't translated for Body mapping and many other Speech Responders.
I can try to point out all that is missing if you need, or if you (most probably) already know, I can try to improve the translation.

Oh and one detail, the French version isn't translated for Body mapping and many other Speech Responders.
I can try to point out all that is missing if you need, or if you (most probably) already know, I can try to improve the translation.
We're aware. We rely on users to provide script translations.
If you'd like to provide a translation, I would recommend reaching out to VerticalBlank via PM to discuss further.

@Wozzlebatneo
Hello, I've been playing ED with VA and EDDI for a long time. There have been problems between VA and EDDI,
but that was a long time ago. I have no problems with version 3.7.0 of EDDI and VA version 1.8.6
(well, but only little things, no crashes). I also use voices from IVONA (Hans and Marlene) and have no problems.
Why did you install VA in a Steam folder? Maybe this is the problem. Ok, you bought VA via Steam, right?
To activate the full version of VA you get a serial number. So you can download the VA-exe-file from the VA homepage,
install it under Windows and enter the serial number under "Registration". Afterwards you can install EDDI as a plug-in of VA.
Now you have the normal installation of VA and EDDI.
Sorry, I cannot say anything about HCS. I've been playing with this variant of installation for ages.
"c:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Apps\EDDI\"
That would be worth a try.

;) greetings nepomuk

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) - sorry, my english is to bad :(
I bought VA off Steam. I actually resolved my issues by
(a) Buying a NON Stem Version of VA
(b) Using a Microsoft Standard system Voice
and
(c) Uninstalling EDDI, HCS and VA. Then installing VAin it;s own folder in in Program Files. Reinstalling EDDI and HCS

Runs fine now thanks.
Regards
WOZZ

Last edited:
The stack trace doesn't include any of EDDI's assemblies so it may be an exception being thrown in VoiceAttack rather than in EDDI (especially if EDDI did not log the exception within the .log files at %appdata%/EDDI).

Can you elaborate on why you think HCS + EDDI cannot run together after a crash? Is the same exception logged each time you try to start VoiceAttack after VA + HCS + EDDI has crashed?

EDDI preferences should be removed / reset when you delete %APPDATA%/EDDI.

The audible beeping you described is likely an HCS thing - it's not from EDDI.
I bought VA off Steam. I actually resolved my issues by
(a) Buying a NON Stem Version of VA
(b) Using a Microsoft Standard system Voice
and
(c) Uninstalling EDDI, HCS and VA. Then I installed VA in it;s own folder in Program Files. After which reinstalled EDDI and then HCS after ensuring EDDI was working.

The whole thing runs fine now thanks. I even hear all my HCS voices, Orion, Leo, Cecil and Ad Astra. Nice to have a full, chatty, crew list.

That Beeping IS indeed an undocumented warning sent by HCS telling me to close the Screen. Ha Ha. It could also occur on other errors as well, but I haven't encountered them yet.
I have managed to convince myself that the issues were related to the use of non standard MS voices, Whatever the cause, it was NOT EDDI's fault and I still love her, My EDDI is female.

Many thanks again
WOZZ

Last edited:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/using-the-speak-feature-with-multilingual-tts-e522a4f2-37cb-492b-be6a-8997d23dfe70
(edit : use this one : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27224 )

I've looked many many sites on how to make it work but I cannot get any voice other than Anna

Edit2: This is a huge mess ... Microsoft is just a bunch of lazy ***
I've managed to add more than enough languages, they are at last recognized by Windows, but nothing seems to reflect in EDDI
If anyone I've compiled a few info in how I made it :
Code:
Pre-requisite: Download and Install Speech Platform Runtime Languages from:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27224
and the Speech Platform v11 both 64 & 86 from:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27225
There are many voices to choose from, although en-US ZiraPro and en-GB Hazel are both good English options.
Once you have selected voices, installed the Platform and voices, proceed to making them work :

1. Under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech Server\v11.0\Voices" Click the Tokens folder and export.
Save this file to your desktop as "voices1.reg" so it will be easy to find and line up with later steps.

2. Under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Speech Server\v11.0\Voices" select Tokens and again export.
Again save this file to your desktop. Call it "voices2.reg" for the same reason as above.

3. EDIT (right click, select edit) voices1.reg in notepad use the Replace function and replace \Speech Server\v11.0\ with \Speech\ (Just replace that section, leave rest intact)
It should read as such: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0] for Hazel example.

4. EDIT (right click, select edit) voices2.reg in notepad use the Replace function and replace \Speech Server\v11.0\ with \Speech\ (Just replace that section, leave rest intact)
It should read as such: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0] for Hazel example.
Save and close.

5. Copy the "LEX" keys over from the ANNA voice to the new tokens.
Seems some people did not need this but some did, and I did need it too.

6. Merge both of the files we just edited into the registry by double-clicking them and answering yes when prompted.

7. Reboot computer and enjoy it's new voices.

8. Tuning: if you wish a shorter name as I did just change the "Name" in the [Attributes]
again for Hazel example it should look like this :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0]
@="Microsoft Hazel - English (British)"
"809"="Microsoft Server Speech Text to Speech Voice (en-GB, Hazel)"
"LangDataPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\Speech\\Tokens\\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0\\MSTTSLocenGB.dat"
"VoicePath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\Speech\\Tokens\\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0\\HazelT"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0\Lex]
"DataFile"=hex(2):***BUNCH OF DATA***

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\TTS_MS_en-GB_Hazel_11.0\Attributes]
"Age"="Adult"
"AudioFormats"="18"
"Gender"="Female"
"Language"="809"
"Name"="Microsoft Hazel"
"Vendor"="Microsoft"
"Version"="11.0"

Edit3: After removing config files (resetting in fact) from appdata for EDDI the new languages are working !

FINALLY !

Now ... I need male voices ...
If you are running windows 10 go into Settings, Time & Language, download voices in your chosen language, I have Englisah, US and Austalian installed, gives me an extra 8 or so MS voices.
WOZZ

Instead of going through that mess, I just click "add voice" here in the Windows 10 speech setting. I use the below also for MS Flight Simulator and it works. The prog random the below for ATCs.

1603658684806.png

And this is what I have in EDDI. You're strictly talking about EDDI right? Cuz in VA, to change voice, you need to click the pencil and top left options. Not the wrench.

1603658756473.png

If you are running windows 10 go into Settings
Instead of going through that mess, I just click "add voice" here in the Windows 10 speech setting.
Thank you for concern, but that was implied as all this is not for W10, i'm on Win7 :)
(Please note, if you are on Win10 theses registry modifications will break your windows TTS) -> adding this info to my previous post just in case.

Oh and another question, i'm trying to simplify as there is really too much chatter, but i'm getting many errors and cannot locate what line is telling me so, is there any log detailing what report "name" is in error, as vocally it's just "there is an error"
and the log files in the EDDI appdata folder just says thins kind of errors
[Error] InaraResponder:Handle Failed to handle event Ship swapped System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Object]

Another last question for now, each time I log on near an already scanned ring, i get the full report on what in on that ring...
I wish to keep that report, but only after I scanned the said ring. Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and o7 CMDRs.

Is anyone using Voice Attack with HCS Voice Packs added? I'm wondering if I can safely add EDDI into the 'mix' without 'messing up' the HCS AI voices I already have? I've written to HCS Voice Packs on Discord and they say it's possible, but you may get one of their voices overlapping with the EDDI voice if they get triggered by a game event simultaneously.

I don't know what the UI looks like for EDDI and if you can de-conflict the voices with it. HCS tell me there is nothing in their UI to do that.

I like the voices I have already, especially for exploration (they tell you about the star types etc) and if EDDI will 'de-stabilize' that set-up... then I'll stick with what I got. Any advice gratefully received.

CMDR SMaloo
cool.png

https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/eddi-3-3-bring-your-cockpit-to-life.387955/

https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/wiki

There is some crosstalk but it's not a big issue as you can easily focus on one or the other and understand both once you get the volume balance right.

Additionally, you can edit voice responses in EDDI and deselect any you don't want to hear by unchecking responses on the Speech Responder Personality screen.

Using both HCS and EDDI is the best experience once you get it set up the way you like it, but I'm not going to claim that it's an easy task to do the setup. If you're not reasonably good at understanding software and willing to dig into settings, it can be daunting. There are several ways to set volume balances between the Voicepack, EDDI, and ED itself. It also takes some time to understand whick package is actually the source of the voice you're hearing if your voices are similar sounding.

I sometimes have to swap out voices to troubleshoot, but I like similar voices, so I guess I've created my own problem in that regard.

In summary, integrating HCS with EDDI is worth it, but don't expect it to be without a lot of trial and error.

YMMV - I'm not the best software guru here and it may be easier for others than it was for me, but in the end I'm glad I undertook the effort as it now works perfectly for me and generally now updates quite easily.

HTH

Hi and o7 CMDRs.

Is anyone using Voice Attack with HCS Voice Packs added? I'm wondering if I can safely add EDDI into the 'mix' without 'messing up' the HCS AI voices I already have? I've written to HCS Voice Packs on Discord and they say it's possible, but you may get one of their voices overlapping with the EDDI voice if they get triggered by a game event simultaneously.

I don't know what the UI looks like for EDDI and if you can de-conflict the voices with it. HCS tell me there is nothing in their UI to do that.

I like the voices I have already, especially for exploration (they tell you about the star types etc) and if EDDI will 'de-stabilize' that set-up... then I'll stick with what I got. Any advice gratefully received.

CMDR SMaloo
cool.png

https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/eddi-3-3-bring-your-cockpit-to-life.387955/

https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/wiki
As GJ51 says, it is perfectly possible, and many Commanders do use both at the same time. Personally, I don't, but EDDI is very configurable to suit your tastes. The easiest, and most basic, config in EDDI is simply to disable whichever scripts you don't want to hear, using the 'Enabled' check box in the Speech Responder tab (you will need to copy the 'default' personality to active the checkboxes. See below). If you get adventurous, you can then start to edit the scripts yourself to customise them further to suit how you want them.

EDDI is amazing, and adds so much to ED. You will wonder how you ever played without it! ;)

1603821557462.png

AFAIK, HCS will work fine with EDDI, particularly if you don't use the EDDI Responder feature. Like GJ51 and Darkcyde said, you can selectively uncheck them specifically, or turn off the entire Responder feature.

Top Bottom