Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
Regardless of whether you are using EDDI with VoiceAttack or standalone, you should start by firing up the EDDI application so that you can configure the relevant information. Note that you should not have the EDDI application running at the same time as VoiceAttack.
I use EDDI as standalone, but also have VA (free version) running as well. I've never had any issues with it. Is there a reason why I shouldn't have these running at the same time?

I use EDDI as standalone, but also have VA (free version) running as well. I've never had any issues with it. Is there a reason why I shouldn't have these running at the same time?
As long as plugins in VoiceAttack are disabled there shouldn't be a problem. If Plugins are enabled then you essentially will have two versions of EDDI running and trying to write to the same files. Data corruption can occur in that situation.

I'm currently having a problem using EDDI as a plugin for Voiceattack, while TTS remains active for EDDI, I get no TTS activity from Voiceattack, if I disable plugins for Voiceattack and run both EDDI and Voiceattack as separate programs, TTS works for both, anyone any ideas?

Quick question... :)

I'd like to get rid of the "This is your nth visit to this system" statistic / voice feedback, but I can't figure out where / what to edit.

It doesn't appear to be in System Report, and where it comes would seem to be part of Jumped, but I don't see it as part of that script.

Anybody got any suggestions? It's not a big deal, but I would prefer not to have it.

Thanks

Quick question... :)

I'd like to get rid of the "This is your nth visit to this system" statistic / voice feedback, but I can't figure out where / what to edit.

It doesn't appear to be in System Report, and where it comes would seem to be part of Jumped, but I don't see it as part of that script.

Anybody got any suggestions? It's not a big deal, but I would prefer not to have it.

Thanks

It's in the "FSD engaged" script.

Hi All,

Quick couple of questions from a new user:

Should I disable the tickbox for VA responder support if I am not using VA?

I'm using EDMC as well, which is enabled to feed back to EDDN. Should I disable EDDN in EDDI or visa-versa? (Not sure if having both enabled would cause any issue)

I downloaded a PDBs.zip file from the release page. What is it & is this needed? If so what do I do with it?

Thank you.
AD

PS - A very small future request... would love to see a Dark EDDI interface window theme. The white is quite bright when you are using a dark/black windows theme.

Hi everyone!

Finally, after a lot of hard work, I am proud to present the latest version of 'Darkcyde's Defaults v4.0' for EDDI 2.4.2!

I was hoping to have these released a couple of weeks ago, but I got into upgrading the AutoRoute plotting functions, and that took a lot longer than I had hoped.

Please read the ChangeLog as there is a lot of updated and new stuff since my last release. It also contains important information regarding the AutoRoute function and needing VA to use it.

I've removed the folders with the text versions of the scripts as they were getting too much for me to remember to keep updated. If you're not using my profile, and just want to add some of the scripts to your own, then just load up my EDDI profile and copy any script you need into your own profile.

I've also added some text files with instructions and more information on some of the systems in use in my profile. I hope they are of some use to people.

You can download the new version from the link in my signature, or click here

Enjoy, Commanders! o7

-=] Darkcyde [=-

Last edited:
Should I disable the tickbox for VA responder support if I am not using VA?

It's not strictly necessary but you might as well. It will save you a tiny amount of RAM from not loading the DLL but when running EDDI standalone the plug-in never gets initialised and so won't consume any CPU cycles.

I'm using EDMC as well, which is enabled to feed back to EDDN. Should I disable EDDN in EDDI or visa-versa? (Not sure if having both enabled would cause any issue)

Having both enabled is fine: the server will de-duplicate. But you can save a bit of bandwidth by disabling one or the other. We are talking fairly small amounts here.

I downloaded a PDBs.zip file from the release page. What is it & is this needed? If so what do I do with it?

You can discard this. It is something that we devs need to archive as part of the build process, but is of no use to end users. In the event that we get a crash dump from you, it lets us replace raw hexadecimal memory addresses with the relevant names from the source code. That's all. I wish there was a way to archive it with the build on GitHub without bothering end users with it.

PS - A very small future request... would love to see a Dark EDDI interface window theme. The white is quite bright when you are using a dark/black windows theme.

I had a quick look and unfortunately this isn't something that MS makes easy for traditional apps that don't use the Universal Windows Platform (eyeroll). Not even Explorer supports it. See for example https://www.howtogeek.com/222614/how-to-enable-windows-10s-hidden-dark-theme/

I'm afraid it's hard to justify this as a priority. Once you have EDDI set up, you hardly ever need to see its UI again. In fact, I tend to minimise it right away. It strikes me that a preference setting for EDDI to start minimised would be easier to support and possibly a better solution for both light and dark themes.

Thanks for the prompt. I have added a ticket for that and will talk to the developers on the EDCD Discord.

No worries, if i was any good at programming like you guys I would lend a hand. REALLY appreciate all the work the EDDI team has put into this. Pretty much cant play ED without EDDI

I had a quick look and unfortunately this isn't something that MS makes easy for traditional apps that don't use the Universal Windows Platform (eyeroll). Not even Explorer supports it. See for example https://www.howtogeek.com/222614/how-to-enable-windows-10s-hidden-dark-theme/

I'm afraid it's hard to justify this as a priority. Once you have EDDI set up, you hardly ever need to see its UI again. In fact, I tend to minimise it right away. It strikes me that a preference setting for EDDI to start minimised would be easier to support and possibly a better solution for both light and dark themes.

Thanks VB for all the answers :)

I'm already using a custom dark theme with Win10 but it doesn't change EDDI to dark (well the top tabs/frame are, but not the main window box with text). It is a small thing and you are right, although I had it open and playing with it in my first session, now I can probably keep it minimised mainly. Thought I would ask anyways as its the only program I run that isn't dark :)

Thanks again, great app!

. . . .

Any tips on how to find these TTS voice packs? Do you install direct via Windows somehow or is there a 3rd party site or something with them? Wondering if there is somewhere you can listen to them prior to install too. . . .

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and therefore I am limited to the speech voices available from Microsoft. I found CereProc for Individuals Windows Text to Speech Voices:

https://www.cereproc.com/en/storesapi

The voicespacks work with Windows and can be purchased separately. I bought Lauren - (English ,England) for $34 (USD). Once purchased, you have a download link with a self install .exe file. Then access the settings in the Speech Reconition section of Windows, ( 7 ), Control Panel.

At the top of CereProc website you can type in any text you want and listen to the available voices.

I did not find any of the CereProc voices that sound close to the built-in ship’s A.I. To help with immersion, I just imagine two distinct A.I. personalities.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and therefore I am limited to the speech voices available from Microsoft.

Umm, are you sure? When I was using Windows 7 Pro I was able to use all 3rd party voices.

I found CereProc for Individuals Windows Text to Speech Voices:

https://www.cereproc.com/en/storesapi

It is a buyer decision, but as a developer I can say that the CereProc voices have always required workarounds and still do, because not only do they not meet industry standards (such as support for the PLS+XML lexicon format and the IPA alphabet), but they obstruct supporting industry standards by crapping out when valid data (such as the xml:lang tag) is supplied.

jgm also said as much in the old thread. The Ivona voices are in my experience much more compliant with industry standards.

It is a shame that the text-to-speech market is so lax about meeting documented standards. We will endeavour to support all vendors for as long as is feasible, but make no mistake, if push comes to shove we will focus our limited time on supporting voices that are standards-compliant.

As a developer just trying to maintain a standards-compliant text-to-speech app, my personal opinion of CereProc is that I would like them to DIE IN THE FIRE OF A MILLION SUNS. Just sayin'

Last edited:
Top Bottom