Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

Did you set Home system on the Commanders Details Page?

Home System should be set in the:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\EDDI\eddi.json file

HTH

Last edited:
Trying to have a voice attack script that will tell me how far I am from my home system. I have it set Script to DistanceFromHome (I've also tried Distance and distance) but when the plugin executes it shows an error in the main VA window that says
bindED Error - EDMap.txt does not exist. Make sure the EDMap.txt file exists in the same folder as this plugin, otherwise this plugin has nothing to process and cannot continue.
It works just fine when I ask it for my bank balance. Plugin context is speech text variable is Script. and the same on the bank balance. Any ideas?
This isn't really the place to request support for BindED but I'd start by making sure that the BindED plugin executes before your command so that it can set the appropriate variables in VoiceAttack.

This isn't really the place to request support for BindED but I'd start by making sure that the BindED plugin executes before your command so that it can set the appropriate variables in VoiceAttack.
Sorry, I was using the wrong plugin. I was using BindED when I should have been using the EDDI 3.5.1 plugin. I changed that and set the script to 'distancefromhome' (without the quotes) and it recognizes the command and doesn't throw an error but still doesn't say anything. Is there some other value I should be setting Script to? I've tried distance and that doesn't seem to work. I got the distancefromhome text from my voice responder Balance script.

Ah. Why not use the variable {DEC:System distance from home} that is already set from the plugin?

If the plugin context is speech and is passed the Script variable then EDDI will look for a Speech responder script name which matches the content of the Script and execute that script (see https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/wiki/VoiceAttack-Integration#speech). It sounds like you are trying to invoke a script named distancefromhome when no such script exists in your personality file.

If you instead set the plugin context to say, EDDI will instead try to render the contents of the Script variable as speech directly (see https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/wiki/VoiceAttack-Integration#say). You might try using the say plugin context with a script variable containing {system.distancefromhome}, for example.

Has anyone encountered an issue with the volume of the EDDI speech responder? I have the volume set to 8 which most of the dialogue is output at, however there are random instances where it is deafening. It's loud enough where I need to remove my headphones. There are no specific responses that triggers this (it can be docking requests, info on the system/station, etc). This happens when using EDDI as a standalone and also with Voice Attack (my main mode of use). I think I've got the latest build (3.5.1), but this also occurred on a older version that I was using last year before taking a break.
It also seems to no longer correctly counting how many times I've visited a system. After jumping between Sol and Ez Aquarii for most of yesterday, it kept every now and then, but would then return to claiming it was my first visit to the system...which puzzling as I've been using Sol as a homebase for a while.

Anyone had any experience with this that might be able to help me?

Ah. Why not use the variable {DEC:System distance from home} that is already set from the plugin?

If the plugin context is speech and is passed the Script variable then EDDI will look for a Speech responder script name which matches the content of the Script and execute that script (see https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/wiki/VoiceAttack-Integration#speech). It sounds like you are trying to invoke a script named distancefromhome when no such script exists in your personality file.

If you instead set the plugin context to say, EDDI will instead try to render the contents of the Script variable as speech directly (see https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/wiki/VoiceAttack-Integration#say). You might try using the say plugin context with a script variable containing {system.distancefromhome}, for example.
Thank you. I was assigning Script, Distance from home (no such script existed). When I changed it to Distance to home (which is an existing script) it works fine. DoHHH!! Hate when I have a brain fart like that.

Has anyone encountered an issue with the volume of the EDDI speech responder? I have the volume set to 8 which most of the dialogue is output at, however there are random instances where it is deafening. It's loud enough where I need to remove my headphones. There are no specific responses that triggers this (it can be docking requests, info on the system/station, etc). This happens when using EDDI as a standalone and also with Voice Attack (my main mode of use). I think I've got the latest build (3.5.1), but this also occurred on a older version that I was using last year before taking a break.
It also seems to no longer correctly counting how many times I've visited a system. After jumping between Sol and Ez Aquarii for most of yesterday, it kept every now and then, but would then return to claiming it was my first visit to the system...which puzzling as I've been using Sol as a homebase for a while.

Anyone had any experience with this that might be able to help me?
The Text-to-Speech tab in EDDI sets volume in a scale between zero and 100. Is that the scale that you're saying is set to 8?

Little strange issue (not a functional problem, so low on the issues range), but whenever I log in I get the usual 'Welcome back commander' message, but also immediately afterwards I get a spoken message "<silence> has granted you access to grade <silence> blueprint"

Not sure why I hear that or where in my profile I need to look to disable this.

Many thanks

Little strange issue (not a functional problem, so low on the issues range), but whenever I log in I get the usual 'Welcome back commander' message, but also immediately afterwards I get a spoken message "<silence> has granted you access to grade <silence> blueprint"

Not sure why I hear that or where in my profile I need to look to disable this.

Many thanks
You need to update your version of the "Engineer progressed" script with the fix from the latest EDDI default. :) I'm not at my PC at the moment, so I can't remember the code you need, sorry.

The Text-to-Speech tab in EDDI sets volume in a scale between zero and 100. Is that the scale that you're saying is set to 8?
Yep, indeed it is. To be honest, 8 is a little low, but I set it that low hoping to counterbalance the random loudness, however it doesn't seem to scale. It is (what I assume to be) full volume during the loud quirk.

I have mine set to 15

Seems to work very well and maintains consistent volume level

It's fine around 90% of the time for me, but at least once during a during a station to station trip it will blast out a notification/piece of info that is eardrum shredding.

Given that it is present when using this latest build, in addition to at least one other older version, and yet not prevalent among the user base I'm assuming it's some config quirk that I'm encountering over an actual bug, but I was hoping that someone else might have bumped into the same thing at some point. Especially as I haven't really tinkered with the default settings/options, other than to link the various api.

Are you using Stand Alone or are you using with Voice Attack?

There are level settings in EDDI, VA, and within ED itself. I've found that identifying where a particular sound is actually coming from and getting the volume levels set for the various sources, to be quite challenging. In my normal configuration, using Astra in VA, Verity in ED, and MS Zira in EDDI it is almost impossible to be sure which is responding in some instances. For troubleshooting I change to distinct voices to be sure I'm identifying the source correctly so that I can tweak the volume levels for the correct audio source.

HTH

Last edited:
Are you using Stand Alone or are you using with Voice Attack?

There are level settings in EDDI, VA, and within ED itself. I've found that identifying where a particular sound is actually coming from and getting the volume levels set for the various sources, to be quite challenging. In my normal configuration, using Astra in VA, Verity in ED, and MS Zira in EDDI it is almost impossible to be sure which is responding in some instances. For troubleshooting I change to distinct voices to be sure I'm identifying the source correctly so that I can tweak the volume levels for the correct audio source.

HTH
I first encountered it when using EDDI through VA & the HCS packs. It did take a while tinkering with sound levels (and the TTS voice options) before I'd pinned it down to EDDI. Next thing I did was turn off the EDDI plugin in VA and ran everything else, which caused no no issues. So then I ran the standalone EDDI with everything else turned off, and the random ear shattering speech responses began again.I reckon it's safe to say it is definitely connected to EDDI.
It wouldn't be so bad if it was just a specific set of responses doing it, as then I could disable that type, but it can be anything.

You need to update your version of the "Engineer progressed" script with the fix from the latest EDDI default. :) I'm not at my PC at the moment, so I can't remember the code you need, sorry.
Thank you, now I've found it I see there is a handy 'reset' button that allowed me to update it automatically to the latest script version (I hadn't actually amended it on my profile), so this looks like it should do the trick. I'll check when I log on tomorrow (y)

I first encountered it when using EDDI through VA & the HCS packs. It did take a while tinkering with sound levels (and the TTS voice options) before I'd pinned it down to EDDI. Next thing I did was turn off the EDDI plugin in VA and ran everything else, which caused no no issues. So then I ran the standalone EDDI with everything else turned off, and the random ear shattering speech responses began again.I reckon it's safe to say it is definitely connected to EDDI.
It wouldn't be so bad if it was just a specific set of responses doing it, as then I could disable that type, but it can be anything.
Does the voice itself change when this happens? I'm wondering if EDDI is having trouble reading your config and is reverting to defaults.

Does the voice itself change when this happens? I'm wondering if EDDI is having trouble reading your config and is reverting to defaults.
Other than the volume not really. I have noticed the 'level of voice processing' slider doesn't seem to make a jot of difference at any point in game (regular or loud).

What happens to volume when you click on "Test Voice" and "Test Voice (severe damage)

I use 0 Speech Processing, but it will distort the voice if i add a lot in.

1576333561268.png

If I adjusted the sliders and tested the voice it would represent the changes, however the voice processing would never carry over to actual TTS in game. The volume would however, which was main thing. But it would never correct or affect the random loudness.

On the up side, I think I've fixed it thanks to Darkcyde's assistance to Laucian Nailor

Reading this last night reminded me that while I haven't really tinkered much with the default settings & options, I did have an edited copy of the default speech responder personality (I'd disabled the 'Commander Continued' script). This would have been a copy of the default from probably late 2016/ early 2017. So based on Darkcyde's above comment I just duplicated the current default and disabled the unwanted script and ever since then I've had no booming voices. I've got my fingers crossed that when I start using VA again it'll stay that way.

None of that fixed the times visiting system count, but hopefully I can find a fix for that. Edit: Looks like EDDI stopped linking to my ESDM log, so it's now seems I'm all good :)

Last edited:
How do you check for an advanced docking computer? I'd like to dispense with the landing pad report when one is present.

We're pleased to announce EDDI 3.5.2-b1, which includes:

1. Syntax highlighting of Cottle scripts! Customization of fonts and colors to follow.
2. Other minor fixes.

It is available via the download channel or GitHub.

The syntax highlighting of Cottle scripts is done by a secondary engine, and there may still be some mistakes. If you spot any, please let us know.

Edit: and the secondary windows now respect the Esc and Enter keys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom