Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

Microsoft David uses a newer speech synthesizer than Microsoft David Desktop and should provide superior quality. To reduce redundancy between similar options I configured EDDI to no longer use the older "Desktop" variant of the voice.

If this is a problem, please let me know and I can add those voice variants back in.

If this is a problem, please let me know and I can add those voice variants back in.
No, no problem. A single search/replace will solve my issue :)
I use it as a "debugger" for the script that are still "WIP", so i can hear what script it was (and read it in the .out file).

(which makes me think -and suggest- that EDDI should speak his errors automatically picking an english voice.... sometime understanding what is the problem is a bit hard).

Totally different question:
Where (which script) and how could i make EDDI telling how much signals there's on a planet, and what planets are "Odyssey" (landable with atmosphere) while FSSing?

Where (which script) and how could i make EDDI telling how much signals there's on a planet, and what planets are "Odyssey" (landable with atmosphere) while FSSing?
I seem to remember that there is no way to tell the signals on a planet, not yet anyway, although I could be wrong. I've had a (very) quick look, but I can't see any variables for it in EDDI. Happy to be corrected though, as I might find them useful myself. ;)

EDIT: Doh, I'm being dumb. There is a 'Surface signals detected' event script for that! 🤦‍♂️ It tells you the number of human or geological signals detected.
EDIT 2: Ah, I was originally thinking of the surface signals like "Minor wreckage" or "Artificial Structure" that you find after mapping (the new Odyssey ones). These don't seem to have a way to tell what or how many there are on a body, not that I can see anyway. There doesn't appear to be anything in the Journal for them.

As for the Odyssey landable planets, I think you could use the 'Body report' script, and add something like this:
Code:
{if reportbody.atmosphere != "No atmosphere" && reportbody.landable:
    This is an Odyssey landable planet.
}
This will speak the line if there is an atmosphere and it is landable, so therefore the body should be an Odyssey planet. :)

Last edited:
Doh, I'm being dumb. There is a 'Surface signals detected' event script for that! 🤦‍♂️ It tells you the number of human or geological signals detected.
yup. But the event is'nt triggered while FSSing; i hear that script only while Surface scanning.
Is the surfacesignals property available (and update) somewhere else?
As for the Odyssey landable planets, I think you could use the 'Body report' script, and add something like this:
Code:
{if reportbody.atmosphere != "No atmosphere" && reportbody.landable:
    This is an Odyssey landable planet.
}
This will speak the line if there is an atmosphere and it is landable, so therefore the body should be an Odyssey planet. :)
(y)🙏

yup. But the event is'nt triggered while FSSing; i hear that script only while Surface scanning.
Is the surfacesignals property available (and update) somewhere else?

(y)🙏
I updated my post above regarding the signals.
I don't think there is a way to tell what signals are on a surface until you map it, or get in range of one already scanned (or inhabited).

Last edited:
I don't think there is a way to tell what signals are on a surface until you map it, or get in range of one already scanned (or inhabited).
Just to be sure that i've understood, i'd ask again, pardon me:
after a system FSS scan, despite having in the system view the number of geo or bio signals, there's not this info in the journal until a detailed surface mapping. Am i right?

Thanks a lot for your help.

after a system FSS scan, despite having in the system view the number of geo or bio signals, there's not this info in the journal until a detailed surface mapping. Am i right?

You will need to map a body to know what signals are on it. The FSS can tell you how many of each type (human, bio, or geo) when you scan a body (the Surface signals detected script), but you need to map it to know what each signal is. There is no Journal information for signals when you map a body, only when you FSS scan it.

It's been while since I last went out to try, but it seems things have changed a little with Odyssey. These may help explain it a little better than I can:
Posts #3 & #10 in this - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/biological-and-geological-signals.577151/

You will need to map a body to know what signals are on it. The FSS can tell you how many of each type (human, bio, or geo) when you scan a body (the Surface signals detected script), but you need to map it to know what each signal is. There is no Journal information for signals when you map a body, only when you FSS scan it.

It's been while since I last went out to try, but it seems things have changed a little with Odyssey. These may help explain it a little better than I can:
Posts #3 & #10 in this - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/biological-and-geological-signals.577151/
Until very recently, you had to map a body to obtain any surface signals. With recent Update 6, a new journal event was added which will allow us to report some surface signals following an FSS scan. While we have not yet incorporated this new event, it looks like it may be quite useful for explorers.

Also note that Odyssey changes the behavior of these events somewhat:
  • in Horizons the count indicates the number of biological or geological sites / locations on a body (e.g., 3 biological signals indicates 3 different locations with biological activity)
  • in Odyssey the count apparently indicates the number of distinct kinds of biological or geological features on the body (e.g., 3 biological signals indicates 3 different species that can be found somewhere on the body)

Last edited:
In Horizons, we could explore worlds without atmospheres.
In Odyssey, we seem to be able to explore worlds with pressure of 0.1 atmospheres (10,000 pascals) or less.

Downloaded the new version and installed ok, but now every time I start EDDI, it starts, but throws an "EDDI has stopped working" error. Tried uninstalling and going back to a previos version, but no dice.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Also note that Odyssey changes the behavior of these events somewhat:
  • in Horizons the count indicates the number of biological or geological sites / locations on a body (e.g., 3 biological signals indicates 3 different locations with biological activity)
  • in Odyssey the count apparently indicates the number of distinct kinds of biological or geological features on the body (e.g., 3 biological signals indicates 3 different species that can be found somewhere on the body)
Thanks for your explanation; i was not able to say this all in english :)
I'd just add that
  • in Horizons the COUNT of the signals (=locations) in a planet is available in the System Map after a "refining scan" time (dunno if this is written in the journal), while to get the selectable/targettable locations you need to DSS the body
  • you may remove "apparently" for Odyssey: it works exactly in that way. That's why it is useful to get that info while FSSing: if you're following the biologist career, you already know you'll go there (also, the System Map is soooo slow :( )

In Horizons, we could explore worlds without atmospheres.
In Odyssey, we seem to be able to explore worlds with pressure of 0.1 atmospheres (10,000 pascals) or less.
Yup. Do you think we should check that value to identify an "Odyssey planet"? Or just that both landable and atmosphere are true?

{if reportbody.atmosphere != "No atmosphere" && reportbody.landable: This is an Odyssey landable planet. }
reportbody.atmosphere is localized: there's an "invariant" version of it?

Last edited:
Maybe a bug?

The test {if body.mapped: in the Bodies to map script, when i first entered in Phipoe IS-A d1-5545, throws an error:
Error with Bodies to map script: Eccezione generata dalla destinazione di una chiamata. (which means, more or less, "Exception generated by the destination of a call").
This was constant (i've found what line was the problem by removing parts of the scripts, starting from the end).

After a full FSS scan, the script works flawlessy.

Downloaded the new version and installed ok, but now every time I start EDDI, it starts, but throws an "EDDI has stopped working" error. Tried uninstalling and going back to a previos version, but no dice.

Any ideas?

Cheers.
Try checking the .log files at %appdata%/EDDI for exceptions? And try the troubleshooting steps here?

Last edited:
Yup. Do you think we should check that value to identify an "Odyssey planet"? Or just that both landable and atmosphere are true?
That depends on your end goal. Either way works. Evaluating pressure may be useful if you want to distinguish any post-Odyssey bodies with thicker atmospheres.
reportbody.atmosphere is localized: there's an "invariant" version of it?
Currently it should be reportbody.atmosphereclass.invariantName .

Maybe a bug?

The test {if body.mapped: in the Bodies to map script, when i first entered in Phipoe IS-A d1-5545, throws an error:
Error with Bodies to map script: Eccezione generata dalla destinazione di una chiamata. (which means, more or less, "Exception generated by the destination of a call").
This was constant (i've found what line was the problem by removing parts of the scripts, starting from the end).

After a full FSS scan, the script works flawlessy.
If this is happening with default scripts, please create a ticket on Github with as much detail as possible so that we can investigate this. Please zip and attach .log files for review.

Try checking the .log files at %appdata%/EDDI for exceptions? And try the troubleshooting steps here?

It appears there's a problem with the Frontier API(?)

2021-08-12T11:15:06 [Info] EDDI:.ctor EDDI 4.0.1-b3 starting
2021-08-12T11:15:06 [Info] EDDI:.ctor EDDI access to the Frontier API is not enabled.
2021-08-12T11:15:06 [Info] CargoMonitor:initializeCargoMonitor Initialized Cargo monitor
2021-08-12T11:15:06 [Info] CrimeMonitor:initializeCrimeMonitor Initialized Crime monitor
2021-08-12T11:15:06 [Info] StarSystemSqLiteRepository:CreateOrUpdateDatabase Starsystem repository schema is version 2
2021-08-12T11:15:06 [Info] MaterialMonitor:.ctor Initialized Material monitor
2021-08-12T11:15:06 [Info] MissionMonitor:initializeMissionMonitor Initialized Mission monitor
2021-08-12T11:15:06 [Info] EDDNResponder:.ctor Initialized EDDN responder
2021-08-12T11:15:06 [Info] EDSMResponder:.ctor Initialized EDSM responder
2021-08-12T11:15:06 [Info] ShipMonitor:.ctor Initialized Ship Monitor
2021-08-12T11:15:06 [Info] StatusMonitor:.ctor Initialized Status monitor
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] SpeechResponder:.ctor Initialized Speech responder
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] VoiceAttackResponder:.ctor Started VoiceAttack responder
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:.ctor EDDI 4.0.1-b3 initialised
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:Start Starting keepalive for EDDP monitor
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:Start Starting keepalive for Journal monitor
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:Start Starting keepalive for Mission monitor
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:keepAlive Starting EDDP monitor (0)
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:Start Starting keepalive for Status monitor
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:keepAlive Starting Journal monitor (0)
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:keepAlive Starting Mission monitor (0)
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:keepAlive Starting Status monitor (0)
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:Start Started EDDN responder
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:Start Started EDSM responder
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] InaraResponder:Start Initialized Inara Responder
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:Start Started Inara Responder
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Info] EDDI:Start Started Speech responder
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Warning] EDDI:Start Failed to start VoiceAttack responder
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Warning] MainWindow.xaml:ConfigureTTS 1: Caught exception System.TypeLoadException: Could not find Windows Runtime type 'Windows.Media.SpeechSynthesis.VoiceGender'. ---> System.PlatformNotSupportedException: Operation is not supported on this platform.
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

When I try to log on to the Frontier API, that's when EDDI stops working. Also, in game, certain variables aren't available to my VA scripts and VA itself says it's unable to fully initialise EDDI.

Any idea how to fix it?

Cheers.

[EDIT]

On further examination, when EDDI is running, if I try to check the "disable phonetic speech" box or do pretty much anything, it crashes.

Last edited:
2021-08-12T11:15:07 [Warning] MainWindow.xaml:ConfigureTTS 1: Caught exception System.TypeLoadException: Could not find Windows Runtime type 'Windows.Media.SpeechSynthesis.VoiceGender'. ---> System.PlatformNotSupportedException: Operation is not supported on this platform.
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

When I try to log on to the Frontier API, that's when EDDI stops working. Also, in game, certain variables aren't available to my VA scripts and VA itself says it's unable to fully initialise EDDI.

Any idea how to fix it?
This is a guess but you may be using an older version of Windows that doesn't include some of the libraries we're using to unlock the additional voices? I'll try to handle that situation more gracefully in the next release.

🥳 We're pleased to announce that EDDI version 4.0.1-b4 is now available for all users, either from the in-app upgrade or from here. The full change log is available here. 🥂

This update includes several speculative fixes for issues with the updated speech functionality.

🥳 We're pleased to announce that EDDI version 4.0.1-b4 is now available for all users, either from the in-app upgrade or from here. The full change log is available here. 🥂

This update includes several speculative fixes for issues with the updated speech functionality.
Is there a way to have EDDI tell me when my SRV ammo is low? If you reload before it is empty you can avoid the cant shoot bug. That way I do not have to reload, board ship then continue to fight.

This is a guess but you may be using an older version of Windows that doesn't include some of the libraries we're using to unlock the additional voices? I'll try to handle that situation more gracefully in the next release.
I'm running windows 7, so that would fit. Thanks for the help.

[EDIT]

Just reverted to version 4.0 and it seems fine, now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom