Release EDDiscovery 17.X is now out! New Spansh intergrations - 3dMap from spansh data, Station panel

If its stuck checking databases the most likely thing is that the index's in SQLLite got corrupted and its rebuilding, or SQLLite is doing housekeeping ..

I have asked this before but it still keeps happening so apologies for asking again...

On occasion (frequently) the columns in the history view revert to a "less than useful" configuration, how can I stop this happening and ensure that the page remembers my column width settings all the time? (Just to save me adjusting the widths on loading.)

Here is screenie showing the issue - on start of EDD the information column has been shrunk to virtual uselessness and others widened beyond sensible width:

edd columns.jpg

Thanks for the great app though, can't play without it. (y)

I've tried my hardest to replicate this. And failed. Any info on what happened before this would be appreciated

I've tried my hardest to replicate this. And failed. Any info on what happened before this would be appreciated

Nothing special or unusual as far as I can tell. It doesn't matter whether I close via the tools menu or the "X" box. Just every so often when it loads up the columns revert to the sizes shown in the screen-shot - other times (i.e. most times) it loads with the sizes remembered from previous session. It is no biggie, doesn't detract from the usefulness of the app, don't waste time on it.

Mine regularly revert to something less useful (although not the same as @Para Handy ). Since it's annoying other people I'll see if I can figure out why this week - since at least I can tell if the 'this shouldn't really matter but maybe...' things make a difference...

If its stuck checking databases the most likely thing is that the index's in SQLLite got corrupted and its rebuilding, or SQLLite is doing housekeeping ..

Can this be due to closing the app incorrectly? I usually click the X, answer yes & then wait until it closes before closing down the machine. However I guess if time is short & I’m in a hurry occasionally I click the X a second time & it then seems to finish quicker. I’m guessing this was the cause of the problem?

1) it is best to wait for the program to close down properly, since we need to terminate SQLite transactions in a manner which means the database is okay. If you use the normal close mechanism it should be okay. You can't speed up the closedown hitting x again.
Sometimes it seems SQLite is not good at terminating correctly.
2) The column sizing is a strange one. I've tried a lot, randomly resizing, minimizing, etc to cause it to mess up. But never caught it in the act. It must be sometimes that the save routine gets called with the column sizes changed, but i can't reproduce it.

Can this be due to closing the app incorrectly? I usually click the X, answer yes & then wait until it closes before closing down the machine. However I guess if time is short & I’m in a hurry occasionally I click the X a second time & it then seems to finish quicker. I’m guessing this was the cause of the problem?
That can really leave the DB in a crapped up state, the kind of problems you've had earlier. Some writes to the DB have not been committed properly if you force a shutdown before it's ready.
As you discovered the portable version is really nice. As long as you've shut it down ok in the past, you can make a backup now & then just by copying the whole folder.

2) The column sizing is a strange one. I've tried a lot, randomly resizing, minimizing, etc to cause it to mess up. But never caught it in the act. It must be sometimes that the save routine gets called with the column sizes changed, but i can't reproduce it.
I see this as well. I'm using the portable version. Could that be a contributor?
I have never really tried to investigate this as an issue though, so don't know how often it happens. I suspect it's every time, and resizing is just a part of my startup routine. Will do a check on this tonight.

Today edd started to lagg (not sure if it's the correct word to describe it), planets scanned in fss show up several seconds after etc. What can cause this and is there a solution to it?

1) it is best to wait for the program to close down properly, since we need to terminate SQLite transactions in a manner which means the database is okay. If you use the normal close mechanism it should be okay. You can't speed up the closedown hitting x again.
I wonder if there is one of those cases of the main thread exiting while background threads are still in flight: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9555948/what-happens-to-the-main-thread-in-this-case.

I could believe a background thread issue since sometimes the app closes down almost immediately while sometimes it seems to take 5 minutes; at which point I usually go off & feed the copawlot & ship’s cat, but sometimes I’m in a hurry. Is there a way to force the outstanding updates to complete as a matter of urgency in a future update?

Edit: or is the close/“ok” dialog the quick way of closing? 😉

Last edited:
I could believe a background thread issue since sometimes the app closes down almost immediately while sometimes it seems to take 5 minutes; at which point I usually go off & feed the copawlot & ship’s cat, but sometimes I’m in a hurry. Is there a way to force the outstanding updates to complete as a matter of urgency in a future update?

Edit: or is the close/“ok” dialog the quick way of closing? 😉

Yes you can override the close, it will just mean the EDSM download is stopped at the next possible instance. The updating of DB from EDSM can take a time, dependent on the speed of your harddisk/ssd.

Once that has been completed, it should shut down quickly.

I'm trying to get to know EDDiscovery but I have a couple of queries, and would be grateful for guidance.

EDDiscovery seems to eat an awful lot of my drive capacity and RAM. I'm running Windows 10 on a laptop with 8GB RAM, an 8th gen Core i7 CPU and a GTX 1050 GPU. I can't run it in the background while playing ED because it takes up too much processing power and the game constantly stutters. Does anyone have any suggestions in how to avoid this?

Also, at the bottom of the EDDiscovery window it says "EDSM Star database updated" with an ever-growing number. Each time I open EDDiscovery this starts at zero but even after 24 hours of leaving the app open it keeps going. When I try to close EDDiscovery I get the message "EDDiscovery is updating the EDSM and EDDB databases, Press OK to close now, Cancel to wait until update is complete".
So I'm wondering, exactly what is being updated (e.g. is the data direction from EDD to EDSM, or from EDSM to EDD?), how long does that process of updating take, and is it normal for it to take that long every time I open the programme?

(sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place...)
Coni

I'm trying to get to know EDDiscovery but I have a couple of queries, and would be grateful for guidance.

EDDiscovery seems to eat an awful lot of my drive capacity and RAM. I'm running Windows 10 on a laptop with 8GB RAM, an 8th gen Core i7 CPU and a GTX 1050 GPU. I can't run it in the background while playing ED because it takes up too much processing power and the game constantly stutters. Does anyone have any suggestions in how to avoid this?

Also, at the bottom of the EDDiscovery window it says "EDSM Star database updated" with an ever-growing number. Each time I open EDDiscovery this starts at zero but even after 24 hours of leaving the app open it keeps going. When I try to close EDDiscovery I get the message "EDDiscovery is updating the EDSM and EDDB databases, Press OK to close now, Cancel to wait until update is complete".
So I'm wondering, exactly what is being updated (e.g. is the data direction from EDD to EDSM, or from EDSM to EDD?), how long does that process of updating take, and is it normal for it to take that long every time I open the programme?

(sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place...)
Coni

It's downloading the systems in EDSM for local maps, route plotting etc. How long that will take depends on your internet connection and whether the database is being written to an SSD or HDD, the database will be almost 4GB when it's done and can be found at "C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Local\EDDiscovery\EDDSystem.sqlite" by default. You can disable or limit this download from the Settings tab in the EDSM/EDDB Control box. If you keep abandoning it then it will keep starting again when you relaunch so you need to restrict it, disable it or let it finish.

The amount of memory used once that is done will depend on how much of your history is loaded (again controlled from the settings tab).

The newest version made changes to the multithreading of the DB. This is the reason why EDD now can take up a high percentage of your CPU power. There is only one way to prevent this from happening at the moment: Open your task manager (ctrl+shift+esc) and switch to the 'details' tab. Search for EDDiscovery.exe and right click on it, open the 'priority' menu and lower it to something lower than 'normal' (sorry if this is named something different in english I'm just translating it on the fly).
This way EDD will just use CPU power that's realy unused, which should eliminate your lags. This has to be done every time EDD is started, in the next update there will be an option to automatically lower EDD's priority.

Hi iain666, many thanks for your reply.
It's downloading the systems in EDSM for local maps, route plotting etc. How long that will take depends on your internet connection and whether the database is being written to an SSD or HDD, the database will be almost 4GB when it's done and can be found at "C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Local\EDDiscovery\EDDSystem.sqlite" by default.
Hmmm... My internet connection is very fast, and I've left the update running on its own, but after 14 hours that file is 9GB in size and is still growing... 😬

The newest version made changes to the multithreading of the DB. This is the reason why EDD now can take up a high percentage of your CPU power. There is only one way to prevent this from happening at the moment: Open your task manager (ctrl+shift+esc) and switch to the 'details' tab. Search for EDDiscovery.exe and right click on it, open the 'priority' menu and lower it to something lower than 'normal' (sorry if this is named something different in english I'm just translating it on the fly).
This way EDD will just use CPU power that's realy unused, which should eliminate your lags. This has to be done every time EDD is started, in the next update there will be an option to automatically lower EDD's priority.
Thank you very much Eahlstan, your translation is spot on and I've set the priority to below normal, but don't notice a difference - its still crunching much more of the SSD than other processes. Maybe its just a bad install. I might try deleting and reinstalling the software.
Thanks again :)

Top Bottom