Release EDDiscovery 17.X is now out! New Spansh intergrations - 3dMap from spansh data, Station panel

EDSM now does that calculation but spot-checking a few well-known stars makes me think they might have got the transformation a little bit off (assuming of course that it is meant to be Epoch 2000).

They're presumably just transforming the C34th coordinates and getting the Epoch 3300 (since the ED galaxy isn't in motion) values and those well known stars we have real world Epoch 2000 RA and dec for aren't necessarily exactly where they should be even if that was possible.

If I ever did add this to EDD I'd ping @AnthorNet and ask so we matched but I'm not sure I see a huge value in having that available while you play and you can look it up in EDSM later if you really want to know it (I know that sometimes I look up at the night sky and think my Commander would be in about that direction but you hardly need something updating every jump to do that...)

They're presumably just transforming the C34th coordinates and getting the Epoch 3300 (since the ED galaxy isn't in motion) values and those well known stars we have real world Epoch 2000 RA and dec for aren't necessarily exactly where they should be even if that was possible.

If I ever did add this to EDD I'd ping @AnthorNet and ask so we matched but I'm not sure I see a huge value in having that available while you play and you can look it up in EDSM later if you really want to know it (I know that sometimes I look up at the night sky and think my Commander would be in about that direction but you hardly need something updating every jump to do that...)
Yeah. I have sometimes thought it would be nice for EDDI to occasionally say something upon arrival like "as seen from Sol, we are now in the constellation of Aquila". Maybe just when you cross a boundary.

The coordinates are divided by 32 because EDSM stores the fixed floating point as integer.

EDSM now does that calculation but spot-checking a few well-known stars makes me think they might have got the transformation a little bit off (assuming of course that it is meant to be Epoch 2000).
If they're HIP stars, Frontier apparently took the Hipparcos equatorial coordinates as being B1950, and precessed them 50 years to J2000 coordinates before converting them to galactic coordinates.
Also, some of the KOI stars also got shifted over by 1, so e.g. KOI 923 is where KOI-922 should be, and KOI 924 is where KOI-923 should be.
I recall a few other stars that were in totally different locations, including some duplicates (like e.g. Theta Orionis C and * tet02 Orionis C).

If they're HIP stars, Frontier apparently took the Hipparcos equatorial coordinates as being B1950, and precessed them 50 years to J2000 coordinates before converting them to galactic coordinates.
Also, some of the KOI stars also got shifted over by 1, so e.g. KOI 923 is where KOI-922 should be, and KOI 924 is where KOI-923 should be.
I recall a few other stars that were in totally different locations, including some duplicates (like e.g. Theta Orionis C and * tet02 Orionis C).
Ah that might account for it. I was just spot-checking naked-eye stars like Sirius, Betelgeuse, Arcturus...

Is there a simple guide anywhere of how to load my commander, journals, etc in Eddiscovery? I installed it but can't see any information about anything..

Is there a simple guide anywhere of how to load my commander, journals, etc in Eddiscovery? I installed it but can't see any information about anything..

Have you inserted your commander details in the settings tab and pointed EDD at the location of your journal files?

Since the change to a new installer I am getting the same error with every new version. The file eurocaps.ttf cant be accessed or copied to the folder. I click skip this file every single time. So...a true type file should be replaced? Why?

I had problems in the last major release or two as I couldnt copy the EDD.exe across. Had to keep booting Windows into Safe mode to do so, obviously a security rights issue. This version seems ok, but have you tried copying that file across in Safe mode?

Hope this is the right place to post something like this.
Using this guide I've built a simple action file, which persuades the Microsoft Text-To-Speech to tell me when I scan something in FSS which I consider high value and want to DSS scan. But I want something else too. I would also like a verbal warning when I honk a system, which is not fully "discovered" yet on EDSM. Now, I can get the total number of bodies in a system easily from the FSSDiscoveryScan event, but is there any system variable or a function or anything which would fetch the current system from EDSM and tell me if EDSM knows that system at all, and if yes then how many bodies are already uploaded onto EDSM? (Which I could then of course compare to the honked number of total bodies and from there I'm home free).

Edit: Never mind, found it, move along, nothing to see here. For the probably about two people out there who might also be interested in such an addon briefly described above, look here.

Last edited:
On the scan screen, what is meant when a body's icon (I've only actually seen this on HMC) is displayed with a green background?

The symbol is the little earth symbol, which means I am now confused, in this screenshot there's a pair of HMC showing in the green zone, but the terraformables are way further out.

1592866468823.png

Those manual calculations never were accurate and they get worse the more stars there are in a system. Personally I've deactivated those green indicators...

Top Bottom